Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 3:44 pm

I love storms, as long as I'm home and there are nor tornadoes in my area. We are about to have some really strong thunderstorms shortly. I don't like driving or riding in the rain at all and storms are out of the question for me, but I love them when I'm safe at home without tornadoes.

We had some horrible tornadoes this spring. Seriously horrible damage, no power for almost a week. They are still rebuilding. People are still gun shy of storms around here, when tornadoes are mentioned. We have a risk of isolated tornadoes with this, not long track huge tornadoes like last spring. My husband will be driving home in the storm though, and I worry some about that, but he knows how to drive in that.

I like hearing hard rain on the windows and the wind and thunder. I like watching it out the window. I was afraid of them when I was little because my Mother freaked out about storms so much, but now that I'm older, I enjoy them. It's getting really cloudy now, and the storm should be here in about an hour. I just hope we don't lose power because I have hamburger meat thawing for meatloaf tonight, and I'm looking forward to it.

Opinions on storms anyone?

Frances

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 3:47 pm

I love storms.

When I was little, I was afraid of thunder, but not anymore.

My favorite type of storm is thundersnow.

TheTigress
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Nov 2011, 3:49 pm

I hate them. Especially wind storms or snow. I hate having to worry about the power going out and how unsafe the roads are going to get. To me there's nothing more aggravating than being stuck at home with no power (no internet). Ever since I was little I have always been afraid of wind and to this day it still bothers me quite a bit. I don't live in a tornado area but when I was a kid I was constantly afraid of them happening at the slightest hint of escalated wind.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 3:57 pm

Aside from the occasional startling thunder, love 'em.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 3:58 pm

I am a former sailor.

"A true sailor rides out the storm without losing his love for the sea." -- Pat Brady

Nothing is more majestic - or more terrifying - than a storm at sea. Everywhere you look, there are 10-metre waves, black water, spray, roiling clouds, lightning flashes, thunder, and windswept rain.

These things you landlubbers call "storms" aren't terrifying in the least; although I can understand why some would think they are, and those people would be welcome to seek shelter near my hearth any time.

:)

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 3:59 pm

Storms are terrible. The change in barometric pressure associated with a storm is a really easy headache trigger that I can't do anything about. I'm actually good at predicting when a thunderstorm is going to occur based off of the amount of pain that I'm in.

Irene was particularly terrible, I was completely unable to sleep while she passed over us between the sound of the wind and the pain from the barometric pressure differentials.

Guineapigged
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Nov 2011, 4:00 pm

I hate being outside in a storm, but I love observing them from the inside. When I was a child we used to go caravanning in the summer and I loved being shut in the caravan, huddled in a sleeping bag in the dark (because my parents wouldn't pay for electrical hook-up) and watching the rain pound against the window. I loved the sound of raindrops hitting the caravan roof.
Now, I always find I sleep better when it's raining outside. The sound is very soothing.

Basagu
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Nov 2011, 4:02 pm

I could make a terrible Starcraft2 joke but i`m not gunna do it :P

I love them, but it depends where i am, if i`m at my own home there is a chance the power will go down. If i`m at my dad`s home there is no problem!

Really calming when going to sleep to!

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 4:02 pm

I love thunderstorms. They remind me that there are things more powerful than people.

Basagu
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Nov 2011, 4:03 pm

Ann2011 wrote:
I love thunderstorms. They remind me that there are things more powerful than people.

I think we`ll be able to manipulate some parts of the weather in the near future though.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 4:07 pm

Basagu wrote:
Ann2011 wrote:

I think we`ll be able to manipulate some parts of the weather in the near future though.

It scares me what people are capable of. The collective power of humanity is so strong. Although I shouldn't complain too much - technology and medicines have done their share to make my life better.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 4:10 pm

Ann2011 wrote:

That's one of the things I like about the ocean. It has that 'this is bigger than me, and I can't tame it, yet I can interact with it without it being unsafe (as long as I'm careful and pay attention to it, it gets to make the calls, not me). And does so without the terrible headaches that thunderstorms give me.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 4:20 pm

Tuttle wrote:
Ann2011 wrote:

That's one of the things I like about the ocean. It has that 'this is bigger than me, and I can't tame it, yet I can interact with it without it being unsafe (as long as I'm careful and pay attention to it, it gets to make the calls, not me). And does so without the terrible headaches that thunderstorms give me.

I like your avatar - I get the same sense of something bigger and more powerful than me when I see animals. Strangely, it gives me a feeling of security.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 4:37 pm

I don't love storms or hate storms. I don't mind them. Any weather is better than snow - I hate snow. But no weather is better than heatwaves - I love heatwaves. I love rain in the winter.

But where I live we haven't been getting thunderstorms for a few years now. It's funny because since we haven't been getting thunderstorms we've been getting more snowy winters, but before we hadn't got any snowy winters but lots of thunderstorms throughout the year. Must have some sort of rebellence (made up word???)

Lightening worries me because I keep thinking it might strike my house. But otherwise, thunderstorms don't worry me. I do enjoy them....if we ever get any again.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 4:46 pm

I love thunderstorms. I've even recorded a few with my camera and put them up on my Youtube channel.

A supercell with continuous rumbling thunder. No tornadoes but it generated bigger than golfball sized hail in some places. I was disappointing that it weakened a lot before it reached my location but still fun...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL_jlkxGkao[/youtube]

This was another supercell with a lot of good thunder plus some wind and small hail...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o41A0kxzl0Q[/youtube]

Last edited by marshall on 22 Nov 2011, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Basagu
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Nov 2011, 4:49 pm

The place you live is so beautifull!