Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Nov 2011, 4:49 pm

The place you live is so beautifull!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 4:50 pm

I love them. I just hate being out in them. The sound of thunder used to scare me.

I remember we had a snow storm here three years ago and that was so exciting. It was mild of course but it seemed so bad because my city isn't made for snow. We only have two snow plows and it was a fortunate I wasn't even working anymore so I got to stay home and watch cars get stuck in the snow and neighbors trying to leave and I took three movies of it and put them on youtube. But my poor husband had to struggle going to work and he was late every time no matter how early he left for work. It wasn't a blizzard we had but we called it a storm because it's rare to get a foot of snow. I still wonder if we ever broke our 1968 record. I am always hoping it will happen again.
It's kind of funny that here it was severe but in Montana it be very mild because they do just fine (since they get snow every year and stays for a while off and on so they know how to deal with it and have a bunch of snow plows) but here it was severe because we didn't do fine. I of course stayed off the roads because the snow was too deep for my car to drive in and the streets and parking lot were not plowed. Luckily we had just gone grocery shopping so we didn't even run out of food during the two weeks.

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 5:15 pm

YES.
I have always loved them.
Its soothing for me.
Although I dont like loudness...I dont mind thunder storms.. Strange right?

dogslife
Toucan
Toucan

22 Nov 2011, 5:16 pm

Love them.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 5:59 pm

I love storms, all kinds.
I find it so exciting to witness the raw power of nature.

Diagnosed in 2005

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 6:09 pm

Love them. I always go out in them just to soak it up. Feels intensely powerful.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 6:28 pm

I love storms and snow, but I hate hot weather or heatwaves.

I would much prefer to go to a cold and lonely mountain for relaxation than to a crowded sweltering beach.

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 7:04 pm

I love storms. Growing up in Iowa, I would sit on the roof and watch the tornado funnels come down.

I could not live in a place that did not get lightning and thunder. In fact, I find it disturbing that such places exist.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 7:04 pm

Absolutely love thunderstorms...you never know when the next "BOOOOM" will be next. I also love all forms of extreme weather, especially if daily life is affected by it (i.e. the power goes off, tornado warnings are broadcast, etc)...I have always found it exciting.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

number2
Toucan
Toucan

22 Nov 2011, 7:16 pm

Used to be terrified of them now I enjoy watching them.
I think the avarage thunder (sound) is about 100 times louder then the largest small arms firearm.

NaomiDB
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Nov 2011, 8:02 pm

when I was younger and I got really stressed out i would lie in the garden in a thunderstorm and stare at the sky while getting freezing and soaked, something about it just helped my meltdown, or I used to take a freezing cold bath

AdamDZ
Toucan
Toucan

22 Nov 2011, 8:54 pm

Hate them. Hate the sound of thunder and wind and hate rain.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 9:03 pm

Burnbridge wrote:
I love storms. Growing up in Iowa, I would sit on the roof and watch the tornado funnels come down.

I could not live in a place that did not get lightning and thunder. In fact, I find it disturbing that such places exist.

Don't ever move to western Washington then. You might see one or two flashes of lightning in an entire year. :cry:

Michigan gets some good thunderstorms from May through August. Tornadoes are rare but I can remember a lot of severe straight-line wind storms growing up. The one I'll always remember was in July of 1991 when I was 11 years old. I remember this incredible dark green sky. It got as dark as the last of a fading twilight, only it was early evening and the sun would normally still be quite high in the sky. We were just getting ready to eat dinner as the darkest cloud passed overhead. Then it suddenly got much lighter out and this giant gust of wind came in and bent some 60 ft tall oak trees over in an inverted U shape, so that their crown was almost touching the ground. I also saw large tree branches flying through the air in the distance before my parents forced me to head down to the basement. Three trees snapped off at the trunk and were laying across the yard. It wasn't a tornado but the wind was clocked at over 100 mph in a bunch of places, so it was as intense as a tornado or hurricane. The worst of the wind probably only lasted about 5 minutes though.

I wish I could have had video of that event. I at least have my memory. I love Midwest storms. They roll through like angry gods.

Last edited by marshall on 22 Nov 2011, 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 9:15 pm

I know. I like visiting Seattle, but I could never live there. I need an actual rain STORM now & then to be happy.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 9:18 pm

Burnbridge wrote:
I know. I like visiting Seattle, but I could never live there. I need an actual rain STORM now & then to be happy.

Yea. Seattle gets plenty of rain but it's never REAL rain. It just spits and drizzles for days on end. You have to head to the Olympic Peninsula or Vancouver Island to encounter a proper downpour. The coast gets some powerful storms off the ocean, but even there thunder and lightning isn't common.

dr01dguy
Toucan
Toucan

22 Nov 2011, 9:35 pm

I love to hate them.

When I'm at home, not planning to go anywhere, the power doesn't go out, and I'm in bed with my kitty in a ball next to me purring, there's something satisfying about a good, hard, torrential downpour.

Riding on Amtrak with your own private roomette, looking out the window and watching a torrential downpour -- knowing that it's completely and utterly irrelevant to the train's ability to safely roar down the tracks at 80+ mph without having to slow down, it's downright cool.

In any other context, they suck.

I've lost weeks of productive time at work and in my own personal programming projects being obsessed with approaching hurricanes, shopping for an inverter-type generator I never ended up buying, shopping for hurricane supplies, and hemorrhaging vast amounts of cash buying enough supplies to last through Armageddon.

I get dangerously overwhelmed driving in the same torrential downpours I enjoy from trains and in bed with my kitty.

I almost miss the days before I got my first Android phone, and went through Florida afternoon thunderstorms happily oblivious to the doppler tornadoes swirling overhead everywhere, now dutifully reported in realtime by at least a half dozen apps available from Android Market. Now, I get bent out of shape every time it happens... which is a lot (Florida actually has more tornadoes per square mile in any given year than any other part of the country... and roughly half of them occur in Dade & Broward counties). Intellectually, I know that most Florida tornadoes are basically 30 seconds of Hurricane Wilma, and the main evidence that a tornado hit your neighborhood is going outside the morning after a really bad storm and finding your neighbor's lawn furniture hanging from the tree in your front yard. It doesn't matter. I was born in Ohio, and my elementary school teachers did a great job of making me neurotic about them.

And I really, really hate getting wet.