What the... I suddenly can't speak!! !

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

AdamDZ
Toucan
Toucan

23 Nov 2011, 6:53 am

Thanks all, your responses helped a lot. I still can't speak this morning, but I'm calmer about this because of your replies. I also SMS'd my therapist (psychologist, who first hinted I may have AS, he makes more sense than the psychiatrist) and he pretty much confirmed that: stress and overload. He told me to rest, stay away from any possible triggers and not force myself to speak. So I'm staying home. On the bright side: my Lego sets arrived yesterday so I'll have something to relax with:)

Thanks again to all of you. People on this site are really helpful. Whether I have AS or something else remains to be seen but whatever it might be I'll be sticking around :)

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 9:36 am

I'm glad you're calmer now. It can be frustrating and and a little frightening when that happens (especially if you are not accustomed to it, I'd imagine). Sit, chill, build stuff, and eventually you'll forget about not being able to talk and find that you can again.

I wanted to say that this thread is the perfect example of why I like this forum so much. It is very comforting to hear from people who experience the same things I do. Things that have never happened to the people I know in real life. So cheesy, but sometimes this place really does make me feel not so alone.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 10:01 am

AdamDZ wrote:
Thanks all, your responses helped a lot. I still can't speak this morning, but I'm calmer about this because of your replies. I also SMS'd my therapist (psychologist, who first hinted I may have AS, he makes more sense than the psychiatrist) and he pretty much confirmed that: stress and overload. He told me to rest, stay away from any possible triggers and not force myself to speak. So I'm staying home. On the bright side: my Lego sets arrived yesterday so I'll have something to relax with:)

Thanks again to all of you. People on this site are really helpful. Whether I have AS or something else remains to be seen but whatever it might be I'll be sticking around :)

I also lose speech when stressed and overloaded. I also love Lego. I have now taken to carrying a small selection of Lego blocks, a set of wheels and a Lego man with me wherever I go. The Lego man especially is awesome ... superb for fiddling with, both in and out of pocket, and can also help to express how I'm feeling when I can't talk.

mandypants
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Nov 2011, 10:04 am

mds_02 wrote:

I wanted to say that this thread is the perfect example of why I like this forum so much. It is very comforting to hear from people who experience the same things I do. Things that have never happened to the people I know in real life. So cheesy, but sometimes this place really does make me feel not so alone.

I agree! I always felt out-of-place because the way I speak (when I speak) isolates me from other people. It's always been hard because I spoke with my parents' immigrant accent, which morphed into "affected" English. Whenever somebody brings up my speech, or whenever I'm under a lot of stress, I shut down. Whenever I can't relate to other people in my day-to-day life, it's so nice to hear that there are other people like me :)

AdamDZ
Toucan
Toucan

23 Nov 2011, 11:51 am

mds_02 wrote:

Absolutely agree. Although my AS testing is still few weeks away, and who knows, it might turn out to be something else. But, even now, something like this is really comforting to hear from others.

AdamDZ
Toucan
Toucan

23 Nov 2011, 8:29 pm

Uff.... it's back!

A UPS man rang the bell and I went out and said "Hello!" to him and then I exclaimed "Oh, s**t!", he's like "What happened?", me: "Nothing, I just remembered something". Went back home and told my wife I can speak again. Uff... that was pretty freaky. So it lasted about 26 hours.

Although I still feel like I really don't want talking, much less than ever before. But I can say something now if I need to.

Thanks to all of you for your support.

MrJosh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Nov 2011, 9:14 pm

AdamDZ wrote:
Uff.... it's back!

A UPS man rang the bell and I went out and said "Hello!" to him and then I exclaimed "Oh, sh**!", he's like "What happened?", me: "Nothing, I just remembered something". Went back home and told my wife I can speak again. Uff... that was pretty freaky. So it lasted about 26 hours.

Although I still feel like I really don't want talking, much less than ever before. But I can say something now if I need to.

Thanks to all of you for your support.

I'm glad that it's back.

I have never had this (and hope it doesn't happen!)... The only way I can relate is a time when I lost my voice due to some sort of viral infection in my throat - I could whisper, that was it. It was scary waking up and being unable to speak...

...Seems that lost voice from stress isnt uncommon though.

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Nov 2011, 9:51 pm

I'm glad to hear that you're doing better.

I was so traumatized by school that when I graduated I couldn't talk to anyone besides my parents & sister. I didn't talk to clerks in stores or anything. Then when I started to try to be more social my sister's friends would make fun of me until I talked "Can't she talk for herself?" they'd say after I let her talk for me. It took me a few years to start talking to people at all again.

Intermittently through my life I've had the selective mutism crop up for a few minutes when put on the spot too.