Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2011, 12:46 pm

My kids therapy center have a lot of kids with sensory issues and mainly classic autism, many non verbal. We have "educated" them on a lot of different things they just dont have here in France. We are going to loan our weighted blankets to some of the other parents to see if it helps (my kids rarely use them anymore) and will donate them if anyone really needs them. I am also buying a bunch of chewies to donate to the center because my fav chewies for my kids are on sale right now. So I am wondering if anyone knows of anyone who makes or sells weighted blankets in or near France (surrounding countries are fine especially ones that use Euro) and that are reasonably priced. You can get them here in France but they are so expensive the parents or the center can not afford them. If I were not is such bad shape I would make them for free......stupid disease! Anyway, just thought Id ask, I know some kids and parent who would be very grateful!

They also cant wait for my daughter to get her iPad so they can try it on some of the kids there because they want to buy one for the center and if it helps some of the kids the parents may want to buy one as well. Maddy cant wait she talks about it all the time....thats what I get for showing her the videos of the kids using it :lol: ! So guess we are black Friday online shopping for the iPad with the pink cover :wink: .

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2011, 2:09 pm

what is the purpose of a weighted blanket? just curious.

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 2:59 pm

Some people with sensory processing issues like to have weight on them, it calms them and helps them to sleep and to relax. We had issues with both my kids not sleeping well. My daughters is 4 lbs and my son has a full size one that is 8lbs. My daughters boyfriend used to borrow my sons all the time because it made him feel better as well and he, as far as we know, is NT.

zette
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 5:50 am

I found instructions online for making a weighted blanket. Perhaps you could find a local seamstress who reads English, or your husband could translate the instructions?

Instructions for making a weighted blanket

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 2:41 pm

Thank you zette, I also found that Salt Of The Earth weighted blankets will ship to France and are fairly reasonable so I may give them both options. The ones here in France, even the small ones like my daughters or the twin bed size is about 3 to 4 hundred Euro where we can buy them from Salt Of The Earth for 30 to 40 Euro and the shipping is about 20 Euro. The larger ones are a bit more expensive. I bought one for my NT daughters boyfriend who is undiagnosed aspie but its very obvious. Hes been wanting one for a long time so I got him a EX tra long one that is a bit larger than twin size as my daughter does not want it on her. Its 10lbs and I got it for 89 Euro including shipping to Florida....the shipping was cheaper as it is in the US but that is still really inexpensive. She is going to sew some satin onto it for him because he likes the feel of satin.....they make satin weighted blankets but they are REALLY expensive. Now that I think about it, if she gets a sewing machine for Christmas I may ask her to make me a few so thanks a lot, again, for the link.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 8:20 pm

zette wrote:
I found instructions online for making a weighted blanket. Perhaps you could find a local seamstress who reads English, or your husband could translate the instructions?

Instructions for making a weighted blanket

I'm gonna do this, a few things have clicked in my mind and I think my son will REALLY like one.

PenguinMom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Nov 2011, 11:13 pm

A coworker of mine very kindly sewed "pockets" onto a heavyish child sized quilt she happened to already have. We put beanie babies in the pockets now as part of a bedtime routine. This technique can rapidly turn any quilt into a weighted quilt!

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 2:00 pm

I love that idea PenguinMom....my son would love something like that especially if I left the pockets opened so he could take the beani babies out and cuddle them....My 9 year old (Aspergers) loves his stuffies, he sleeps with about 20 of them on his bed....he loves to be surrounded by them and one of our cats sleep with him as well. I think I mentioned before his bed is a mini loft and it has little walls around it so he is sort of cocooned in there he loves that and boxes. Sometimes I think its good that I can only shop online due to not only my sensory issues but my bone disease that prevents me from standing or walking very much because we get lots of boxes. We also get our pet food from a online company so we get Luc (my son) size boxes (but still small enough that he feels hugged) that he can climb in and watch TV.