Do autistic traits increase/decrease with stress/happiness?

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Dhawal
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 1:09 am

PTSmorrow wrote:
My desire to be alone and avoid talking has increased to about the same extent as my tolerance for noise and bustle has decreased over the years. I never managed to get used to the hassle which is common at malls and the like and feel that i try to avoid this kind of stress even more than i did in my twenties or thirties. I'm 52 and think my odd traits are more obvious now.

Can it be due to the fact, that in older age there is less energy (physical & mental) to combat noises and other stuff?

How do NTs do that?

Dhawal
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 1:17 am

Ettina wrote:
Obsessive interests don't exactly increase or decrease, but tend to change form - in younger or lower functioning autistics it's more likely to be repetitive behaviors (eg lining things up) or sensory interests, while in older higher functioning autistics it's more often intellectual topics (eg geography). So you'll often see an HFA kid shift from the one pattern to the other with age.

That is interesting. I think this is something autism researchers can find useful. As a starting point, or as an answer to something they were looking for.

How do NTs do that?