Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

whitemissacacia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Nov 2011, 1:26 pm

Let's share some! :wink: Say names and why!

EmmaPeelWannabe
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Nov 2011, 1:30 pm

Sheldon Cooper from the Big Bang Theory.

Because... well, if you've ever seen the show you can see why.

whitemissacacia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Nov 2011, 1:33 pm

I agree. I'd say Edward Scissorhands. He lives alone, he's not good at socializing (even though he tries to and likes making friends), he's oversensitive, and his "scissorhands" provide a metaphor about his "special talent/interest" (something most of us aspies have) which makes him special. On the other hand, those "scissorhands" also prevent him from any sort of physical contact, 'cos he can "hurt" people (allegory to us unwillingly being offensive). I think that character comprises an excellent metaphor! :wink:

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 1:41 pm

We had another tread for this, its over 40 pages long....

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 2:17 pm

max braverman from parenthood

spencer reid from criminal minds is maybe

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 4:19 pm

Number of fictional characters with AS < number of fictional characters canonically stated to have AS << number of fictional characters nominated as having AS on these threads.

The year is still young.

EmmaPeelWannabe
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Nov 2011, 6:00 pm

Doctor Dylan Keogh, from Casualty.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 9:05 pm

Ambivalence wrote:
Number of fictional characters with AS < number of fictional characters canonically stated to have AS << number of fictional characters nominated as having AS on these threads.

Lies. What is this blasphemy? They all have Aspergers, every last one of them. Just look at ponies, Twilight is a nerd, so she must have AS, and Pinkie's crazy, and Fluttershy is shy, so they BOTH are aspies, and Applejack is a bad liar, and Rarity obssed over small details, and Rainbow Dash is a tomboy...you know what, there is no denying it, they are all aspies. EVERY. LAST. ONE. OF. THEM.

[I'm being sarcastic, in case you can't tell. ]

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2020, 2:15 pm

Matilda from Freeform's "Everything Is Going to Be Ok" played by Autistic Actress.
Wrong Planet thread

Holly Gibney of HBO's The Outsiders - Suspected

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 12 Feb 2020, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2020, 2:18 pm

Lucy Snowe (Villette, Charlotte Brontë, 1853) suspected

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2020, 2:18 pm

The only one I found incredibly convincing was Saga Norén in the original version of The Bridge.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2020, 10:36 pm

Don Tillman. Novelist Graeme Simsion wrote three novels featuring him as the central character.

- The Rosie Project
- The Rosie Effect
- The Rosie Result

The depiction of Don is the best AS character I have ever come across. After being an admirer of the novels for years, I finally met Graeme Simsion last year and had a remarkable conversation with him. I was astonished to learn that when he wrote the first of the novels, he didn't know he was depicting an AS man "my career was always in computer stuff up til then, and Don was based on a composite of some of the guys that worked for me. Initially when I got good feedback from AS people congratulating me on the autistic authenticity, I was puzzled. Eventually I got to meet Tony Attwood, and discovered the connection. After that I met many AS people, and now I invite them as special guests to speak with me, on their own behalf, at book events, or radio interviews, so that they are representing themselves. (He is a kiwi who lives in Australia).

He agreed with me that Steve Silberman's book "Neurotribes" was a significant moment in books about AS, and we were both admirers of it.

Until meeting GS, I had thought he was an autistic man, because I couldn't imagine an NT representing an AS man with such accuracy and authenticity.

In the first novel Don is single, and in the second he is married (to an NT woman) and in the third he is the parent of an 11 year old son, each one highlights particular issues - seeking a relationship partner, adjusting to marriage, and being an AS parent with an AS child. GS also brings a delightful sense of (kind) humour to his writing, so that we smile with his character Don, not at him. His struggles are so familiar.

Don is a high functioning aspie, a scientist, who works as a university lecturer. It also addresses workplace issues for AS people, especially those in academia.

Highly recommended for the authenticity of the depiction, the way AS is handled openly in the last of the three, after the author made his discovery that his character Don was an aspie.

Quotes from The Rosie Result
“I had observed that neurotypicals criticised autistic people for lacking empathy… but seldom made any effort to improve their own empathy towards autistic people".

“In the adult world, an uneven distribution of abilities is more valuable than mediocrity at everything. It is irrelevant to me whether or not my doctor is adept at hitting a ball with a stick—or finding her way to work without looking at street signs—but I would like her to be as proficient as possible in the practice of medicine. Conversely, at school, being other than unobtrusively average in every area (with the exception of sports) is a distinct disadvantage.”

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2020, 10:41 pm

Daria Morgendorffer from the old MTV show Daria. That's my opinion.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2020, 9:24 am

I've said it before, but I love the series, so... "L Lawliet", and "Near" from the "Death Note" anime.

L, with his preferred sitting posture & particular way of handling objects...
Near, especially for his fondness of stacking/lining up objects & stimming by twirling his hair.

9BillionNamesofGod
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Feb 2020, 4:19 pm

Exuvian wrote:
I've said it before, but I love the series, so... "L Lawliet", and "Near" from the "Death Note" anime.

L, with his preferred sitting posture & particular way of handling objects...
Near, especially for his fondness of stacking/lining up objects & stimming by twirling his hair.

Yes!