Is life in prison/the death penalty too harsh for rape?

Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

WilliamWDelaney
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 5:50 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
Well it's more like, if hurting someone makes you feel good, go do it in a consensual way.
Sadomasochism isn't motivated by necessarily antisocial tendencies, though.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 5:53 pm

WilliamWDelaney wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
Well it's more like, if hurting someone makes you feel good, go do it in a consensual way.
Sadomasochism isn't motivated by necessarily antisocial tendencies, though.

No it isn't, I agree. I'm not really saying the two are linked at all, in fact, I just thought I'd point out that wanting to hurt people on its own doesn't necessarily have to be limited to such outlets :)

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 6:46 pm

rehabilitation, never death.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

dmm1010
Toucan
Toucan

29 Nov 2011, 6:50 pm

MasterJedi wrote:

What shall we do with those criminals who cannot be rehabilitated?

Abgal64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Nov 2011, 8:19 pm

No, it most certainly is not. I am for getting rid of prisons and turning them into reeducation through labor camps. This way, the people are still able to be freed if they are found not guilty (and given significant reparations as well) yet do not drain the properly behaved people's resources: Rather, the criminals are forced to do hard, but no cruel, labor throughout most of the day. And, sentences would not be based on time but on the amount of labor done (in a portfolio of various physical units), so the criminals would be encouraged to work very hard anyways to get out earlier. In addition, laziness and bad behavior would result in any combination of corporal punishment, a loss of privileges and, in extreme cases, an increase in the prisoner's sentence, while good behavior and doing more work than required in a day would be rewarded with special foods, more breaks and greater privileges. Finally, every week or so, intensive and didactic sessions based on reeducating the criminals in ethics, virtues and proper conduct.

In some situations where the crime is so horrible, such as sexual crimes, and for repeating serious offenses, I think the most rational choice would be to execute the criminal if the criminal is not seen as being capable of going through the reeducation through labor system. Not sadistically or vengefully but via shooting.

socalaspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Nov 2011, 8:22 pm

donnie_darko wrote:
I think life in prison is suitable for serial rapists and very violent rapists, I'm against the death penalty period, but do you think it's too harsh for say, date rape? Like if the rape was not physically violent but they just kept going? It seems a little bit harsh to put someone in jail FOREVER for that, especially if they were on drugs or something and not in their right mind. I don't think being raped is as bad as being killed or being put in jail forever. I think life in prison for rape is disproportionate to the crime. Rape is obviously a really sad thing to go through, but humans are designed to withstand trauma. It's not like people who are raped simply wallow in misery until the day they die. I don't think it's nearly as bad as being murdered.

I dunno, it does seem incredibly vengeful to put someone in jail forever or kill them because they committed date rape. I think 5-10 years in prison would suffice as punishment. I mean even a month in jail would be horrible.

Rape is either rape or not rape. If the girl changes her mind mid-sex that she doesn't want sex anymore I'm not sure I'd call that rape, but real rape should be punishable by death.

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 8:25 pm

dmm1010 wrote:
MasterJedi wrote:

Those would be the severely mentally disabled. They deserve care and dignity. I'm not about to execute someone who's mentally ill.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

Silverbutterfly
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Nov 2011, 9:35 pm

I don't like the death penalty. I like the idea of labor camps. Prisoners should be working hard to offset the cost of their upkeep.

dr01dguy
Toucan
Toucan

29 Nov 2011, 11:13 pm

There's a huge problem with making the penalty for rape the same as the penalty for murder -- it gives the rapist every incentive to kill the victim afterward. The penalty is no worse, and the likelihood of getting caught & convicted is a lot less because the star witness won't be around to testify.

Last edited by dr01dguy on 30 Nov 2011, 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

NineTailedFox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Nov 2011, 11:21 pm

Quote:

Slap-drone them.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 8:02 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
It's not as bad as murder, I agree, but if you let out a rapist, they'll probably start raping people again. It's not exactly a desire you can just shake off, is it?

Not necessarily. It's a myth that sex offenders are more likely to re-offend than murderers, or other criminals, driven by people's hatred for sexual deviance in general. We tend to be more 'okay' with crimes that are 'only' physically violent.

The fact is sex offenders are LESS likely to re-offend than many different kinds of criminals. Not all of them have this burning desire to re-offend.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 8:05 pm

Janissy wrote:
donnie_darko wrote:
I think 5-10 years in prison would suffice as punishment. .

In the US (which is where I am) the average sentence for rape is 11 years and the average time actually served is 5 years. I got that statistic off Wiki so it doesn't have the finesse of breaking it down into all the different categories as described by visagrunt. But it does more or less fit your prescribed 5-10 years. That seems reasonable to me too.

That's true. The law indeed does treat rape as being about 1/10 as serious as murder. Which imo is more or less about right, not that you could really put a number on it, but I'd say it's one magnitude down.

It's just whenever I hear about a rape in the news ... I see average people comment (they should get life... they should die...) and it just seems way too harsh, I'm pretty sure people are being totally serious too. IMO it's more forgivable than murder, especially because the victim is still alive, can still heal, and occasionally can even bring themselves to forgive the person that hurt them. With murder you only have their survivors.

dr01dguy wrote:
There's a huge problem with making the penalty for rape the same as the penalty for murder -- it gives the rapist every incentive to kill the victim afterward. The penalty is no worse, and the likelihood of getting caught & convicted is a lot less because the star witness won't be around to testify.

Some people would argue that being raped and murdered is actually less bad than just being raped. Which imo makes no sense at all.

Beauty_pact
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 2:27 am

No, mere death penalty, or life in prison, is not harsh enough. If one can be sure that the person indeed is a rapist, he or she should be tortured to death in the worst ways imaginable. He or she should be served a nice, tasty-looking meal made of his or her cut off genitals, be informed what it's made of, to add humiliation, and forced to eat it, then the rest of them would later be cut off in little pieces, while they all the time would be kept alive, by various means, by burning the wounds, and through other necessary procedures. The person would have to eat the pieces and skin that is cut off/skinned off of him or her, every day, as well, and when the person is starting to get numbed out from the torture, he or she should be pulled apart while still alive, or mangled - I guess you could be kind enough to let them choose. All this should be done on a remote "torture" island, as an example, and by robots, if possible, so no torturers get messed up from what they do (I'd gladly do it all, though), and so no one in society starts questioning the reasonability of it.

When done with them, you could use their corpses as bio fuel, in special power plants, as well, to be kind to the environment (that is much needed, nowadays, as we know).

Those who lie about a specific, real person having raped them should also be punished, though. Lifetime in forced labour, without any chance for release, may be a better solution for them, though. However, would they ever try to escape, they would be executed.

NineTailedFox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Dec 2011, 2:51 am

I take it you are not a humanist. :?

Beauty_pact
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 2:54 am

donnie_darko wrote:
Rape is obviously a really sad thing to go through, but humans are designed to withstand trauma. It's not like people who are raped simply wallow in misery until the day they die. I don't think it's nearly as bad as being murdered.

I knew someone who killed herself for that very reason, so you're full of crap, sorry. She's in a jar, now, as soot. Hadn't she been raped, I doubt she would be dead, today.

And no, this is not why I hate rapists so much. In fact, I was even "worse", before I ever even knew her.

NineTailedFox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Dec 2011, 2:59 am

Well there's no doubt that rape causes a lot a trauma. It certainly can be bad enough to make you suicidal. But most people who are raped do not commit suicide. If they all did, the suicide rate would be vastly higher. Like a thousand times higher.

Last edited by NineTailedFox on 04 Dec 2011, 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.