Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 6:45 pm

I've always had an uneasy relationship with night time. When I was younger, I could never be away from my parents when it was dark outside. On a road trip I once took, we were out in the middle of nowhere and it was dark outside, so I started freaking out right there in the car. Now, there seems to be a positive correlation between night time and my anxiety. Especially since we're in the season where it gets dark earlier than usual. It just seems to have a negative effect on my psyche. Does anybody else have this problem? What is it about night time that makes me, and lots of other people, so uneasy psychologically?

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 10:33 pm

I get that too. I used to (and still do to a lesser degree) have a fear of the dark. And now I get anxious at night, regardless of weather it's dark inside. I usually try to distract my self and the anxiety mostly goes away.

And as for fear of the dark it's self, Wiki Link, clicky.

Quote:
The fear of the dark is a common fear among children and to a varying degree is observed for adults. Fear of the dark is usually not fear of the darkness itself, but fear of possible or imagined dangers concealed by the darkness.[1] Some degree of fear of the dark is natural, especially as a phase of child development.[2] Most observers report that fear of the dark seldom appears before the age of 2 years.[3] When fear of the dark reaches a degree that is severe enough to be considered pathological, it is sometimes called nyctophobia (from Greek νυξ, "night" and φοβια, phobia), scotophobia, from σκότος - "darkness", or lygophobia, from λυγή - "twilight" and achluophobia.

Some researchers, beginning with Sigmund Freud, consider the fear of the dark as a manifestation of separation anxiety disorder.[4]

An alternate theory was posited in the 1960s, when scientists conducted experiments in a search for molecules responsible for memory. In one experiment, rats, normally nocturnal animals, were conditioned to fear the dark and a substance called "scotophobin" was supposedly extracted from the rats' brains; this substance was claimed to be responsible for remembering this fear. Subsequently these findings were debunked.[5]

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

27 Nov 2011, 10:36 pm

The light... it burns!! !! ! 8O

Nah, the dark doesn't really bother me.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 3:14 am

I can sort of relate. I've got necrophobia, and sometimes it's so bad that if I just see a dead animal on the side of the road and I have to keep the light on for weeks. Lovely, eh?

Fatman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Nov 2012, 4:18 am

i know this reply is way late
but however its just human nature well more like animal nature and to put it buntly
our survival instincts kick in when it gets dark out it was a gene developed by our animal ancestors
due to the fact that nocturnal preadtors would go and either kill it s prey while they where doing bascially
whatever they were doing at night ( like a pack of rabid wolves attacking a group of native americans while they where sleeping for example ) so to counter this we developed this fear of night time its rather natural although due to the advancement of modern
tech and moving out of the woods to our current homes some dont feel this as much as others