Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Antreus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Dec 2011, 5:56 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
i created the patterns in some unusual fashion - the examiner had not seen anyone complete them as i did, methodically, piece by piece, back and forth row by row... meticulously putting down in each piece without having to move them once placed.

BUT i did not get the highest possible score as i stopped to check my work on the last puzzle so i lost some points due to taking too much time.

Yes but your analysis was far more thorough and methodical. You took longer, but was more accurate. Sadly, this is how academia has evolved into. Superficial analysis over slow, deep, and probing analysis.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 12:59 am

Antreus wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
i created the patterns in some unusual fashion - the examiner had not seen anyone complete them as i did, methodically, piece by piece, back and forth row by row... meticulously putting down in each piece without having to move them once placed.

BUT i did not get the highest possible score as i stopped to check my work on the last puzzle so i lost some points due to taking too much time.

Yes but your analysis was far more thorough and methodical. You took longer, but was more accurate. Sadly, this is how academia has evolved into. Superficial analysis over slow, deep, and probing analysis.

EXACTLY! i carefully got it right the first time. i think it must be an autistic way to go about it - no rushing, just careful placement.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

04 Dec 2011, 1:47 am

OJani wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
OJani wrote:
Could you post a better and still comprehensive one? I'm just curious and would be thankful.

I wish I could. anbuend posted something several months ago that was pretty comprehensive, but I could never find it again. I'll keep trying, though.

Do you mean this:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp3320905 ... t=#3320905

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postxf158466-0-15.html

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postxf121164-0-30.html

Anbuend always had some interesting insight, I miss her.

Yes, thank you. I have no idea why I had such a hard time locating these before.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

04 Dec 2011, 1:52 am

Antreus wrote:
It is best to think about this on a meta-level of analysis, using Grandin's concepts, you can then surmise that if these are the extremes of the autistic mind, whom has the tendency to specialize in one area, due to deficits in others, that there are middle-points between them.

I was diagnosed with NLD (non-verbal learning) but scored high on the block design test, 13. I was later diagnosed with AS.

If I take Grandin's categories as black and white definitives I will of course run into a predicament, because I don't fit in anyone one category either. Everyone's brain is wired differently in order to make up for deficits in one area or another, in order to survive.

Or Temple Grandin's categories are not fully adequate for explaining things because they are three particular extremes (one of which she definitely fits), and more categories are needed.

I'm sorry if this seems like cherry picking. I don't have much reaction to the rest of what you wrote, but I don't think that Grandin's work is really definitive in this regard.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 1:59 am

hyperlexian wrote:
EXACTLY! i carefully got it right the first time. i think it must be an autistic way to go about it - no rushing, just careful placement.

That is how I did the webpage version last night.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 2:01 am

hyperlexian wrote:
Antreus wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

On most of them for me I was slowly, carefully, getting it right methodically like you did. However on at least one of them, I just couldn't get it to function at all for me. That one I needed to go back and fix.

I could see that being done more by autistic people than non-autistic people, but haven't seen how others have went about it.

Antreus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Dec 2011, 11:07 pm

Verdandi wrote:
Antreus wrote:
It is best to think about this on a meta-level of analysis, using Grandin's concepts, you can then surmise that if these are the extremes of the autistic mind, whom has the tendency to specialize in one area, due to deficits in others, that there are middle-points between them.

I was diagnosed with NLD (non-verbal learning) but scored high on the block design test, 13. I was later diagnosed with AS.

If I take Grandin's categories as black and white definitives I will of course run into a predicament, because I don't fit in anyone one category either. Everyone's brain is wired differently in order to make up for deficits in one area or another, in order to survive.

Or Temple Grandin's categories are not fully adequate for explaining things because they are three particular extremes (one of which she definitely fits), and more categories are needed.

I'm sorry if this seems like cherry picking. I don't have much reaction to the rest of what you wrote, but I don't think that Grandin's work is really definitive in this regard.

That's fine. We agree on a lot already if you think Grandin's categories are not adequate. I was theorizing based upon the framework she supplied however limited her analysis is.

Last edited by Antreus on 04 Dec 2011, 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 11:10 pm

I did some so fast the lady testing me didn't have time to hit the stopwatch. The test was for a different reason, but the same test.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2011, 2:58 am

Antreus wrote:
That's fine. We agree on a lot already if you think Grandin's categories are not adequate. I was theorizing based upon the framework she supplied however limited her analysis is.

Fair enough!

I do think we agree on a lot, which is why I didn't have much of a reaction to the rest of your post. Thank you for clarifying that part for me.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2011, 4:25 am

shrox wrote:
I did some so fast the lady testing me didn't have time to hit the stopwatch. The test was for a different reason, but the same test.

I had the same issue. :P

trappedinhell
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2011, 5:48 am

auntblabby wrote:
OJani wrote:
1. Visual thinkers, like me, think in photographically specific images.
2. Music and math thinkers think in patterns. These people often excel at math, chess, and computer programming.

3. Verbal logic thinkers think in word details. They often love history, foreign languages, weather statistics, and stock market reports.

what if i'm no good at ANY of those things?

Me too. But I get what she is saying. For me, I think in huge abstract vistas involving everything at once. I don't see anything moving (Temple says she sees machines moving but others see them still). But that's because I think it is unhelpful to think of time as moving: the multiverse makes more sense if we consider time as just another static dimension. I definitely think in patterns, but big, big patterns. I find conventional math, chess and computer programming to be too limiting. Of course, that's what every idiot-who-thinks-he-is-a-genius would say. :)