Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

mikecartwright
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2011, 12:10 am

Is birth control a sin and wrong ? Is sex only for procreation ? Is birth control like abortion ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birth_control

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 12:26 am

No.
Next question?

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 12:44 am

Do we want to discuss the tale of Onan? Because I love explaining to christians - especially catholics - that Onan was killed not for wasting sperm but for being an as*hole to someone he had stewardship over. And further that the tale of Onan implies both that prostitution is A-OK and that the one form of birth control that the catholic church doesn't have a problem with is the one form of birth control Onan used.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 1:22 am

LKL wrote:
No.
Next question?

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 1:28 am

I don't know...I suppose if we don't use birth control, we could find some more places to cram humans on the planet. Maybe we can dig some subterranean cities and shove them down there?

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 3:11 am

blauSamstag wrote:
Do we want to discuss the tale of Onan? Because I love explaining to christians - especially catholics - that Onan was killed not for wasting sperm but for being an as*hole to someone he had stewardship over. And further that the tale of Onan implies both that prostitution is A-OK and that the one form of birth control that the catholic church doesn't have a problem with is the one form of birth control Onan used.

What about Islam?

I think the OP is trying to convert to Islam or something.

Circle989898
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 3:56 am

Sin as in A/C?

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 6:39 am

mikecartwright wrote:
Is birth control a sin and wrong ? Is sex only for procreation ? Is birth control like abortion ?

No.....procreation is.

Both birth control and abortion (at any time, for any reason....punch a late-term fetus for Jesus :D )....are gifts from the Ancient Ones who rightfully want nothing more than to see even the memory of humankind's existence wiped from the cosmos.

Just a friendly reminder from your local anti-natalist misanthrope. :wink:

Morning comes the sunrise and i'm driven to my bed, I see that it is empty and there's devils in my head. I embrace, the many-colored beast...I grow weary of the torment....can there be no peace? I find myself just wishing, that my life would simply cease

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 7:41 am

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 8:37 am

blauSamstag wrote:

Onan's sin was tantamount to attempted murder. In those days, the Hebrews (Onan was just a step or two down from the patriarchs) didn't have the same concept of the afterlife that the Jews of Jesus' time and later Christians had. For them, the extinction of a male bloodline meant the complete and total death and non-existence of that person, so it was important that his name lived on after him. What Onan did highly dishonorable not merely to himself, but to his brother who did not produce children with Tamar. In the context of that day and time, Onan just as well tried to posthumously kill him.

It's not a thumbs-up for prostitution, btw. I don't know where you get that idea. What Tamar did was deceitful and wrong. It also shows the fallibility of the patriarchs, especially since Judah had a taste for prostitutes (yeah, like we're supposed to believe that was the first time he ever did that?). In the end, however, he got what he deserved. The Bible doesn't ever endorse prostitution. But the Bible doesn't whitewash the facts, either. If someone had carnal knowledge of a prostitute (or someone posing as one), the Bible simply and plainly mentions that it happened. It's like if you watch the evening news or read the paper and there's a report of a burglary or a murder, would you infer that the newspaper or news program is endorsing burglary or murder?

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 8:59 am

Horus wrote:
mikecartwright wrote:

No.....procreation is.

Both birth control and abortion (at any time, for any reason....punch a late-term fetus for Jesus :D )....are gifts from the Ancient Ones who rightfully want nothing more than to see even the memory of humankind's existence wiped from the cosmos.

Just a friendly reminder from your local anti-natalist misanthrope. :wink:

Horus! You're back. :D

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 9:36 am

I don't think birth control is a sin. But neither do I think that for Christians it's really the best option. In most religions, the single best way of ensuring the continuation of the faith is to have children and teach them the scriptures. Children are most likely to be receptive to the tenets of any faith if they start learning at a young age and see the same faith lived out in their parents' lives. It is not quite so easy to get someone to convert later in life, though it does often happen.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 9:41 am

mikecartwright wrote:

No. No.No. No.

ruveyn

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 11:58 am

AngelRho wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:

Onan's sin was tantamount to attempted murder. In those days, the Hebrews (Onan was just a step or two down from the patriarchs) didn't have the same concept of the afterlife that the Jews of Jesus' time and later Christians had. For them, the extinction of a male bloodline meant the complete and total death and non-existence of that person, so it was important that his name lived on after him. What Onan did highly dishonorable not merely to himself, but to his brother who did not produce children with Tamar. In the context of that day and time, Onan just as well tried to posthumously kill him.

That's just the legal aspect of Onan's sin. The social aspect is that he used his brother's widow for sex but didn't give her children.

And in some versions of that tale, say in jewish scripture, he was struck down by his in-laws, not by God.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 12:03 pm

ruveyn wrote:
No. No.No. No.

ruveyn

What he said.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 12:08 pm