Obviously not.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 2:18 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
Horus wrote:
mikecartwright wrote:
Is birth control a sin and wrong ? Is sex only for procreation ? Is birth control like abortion ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birth_control

No.....procreation is.

Both birth control and abortion (at any time, for any reason....punch a late-term fetus for Jesus :D )....are gifts from the Ancient Ones who rightfully want nothing more than to see even the memory of humankind's existence wiped from the cosmos.

Just a friendly reminder from your local anti-natalist misanthrope. :wink:

Horus! You're back. :D

I am surprised anyone remembers me. :)

It's been many moons. I have much to say as soon as I can find the time to say it. I've actually been employed for nearly a year now after 18 months of unemployment.

Hope you are well!! ! :D

Morning comes the sunrise and i'm driven to my bed, I see that it is empty and there's devils in my head. I embrace, the many-colored beast...I grow weary of the torment....can there be no peace? I find myself just wishing, that my life would simply cease

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 3:51 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:
Do we want to discuss the tale of Onan? Because I love explaining to christians - especially catholics - that Onan was killed not for wasting sperm but for being an as*hole to someone he had stewardship over. And further that the tale of Onan implies both that prostitution is A-OK and that the one form of birth control that the catholic church doesn't have a problem with is the one form of birth control Onan used.

Onan's sin was tantamount to attempted murder. In those days, the Hebrews (Onan was just a step or two down from the patriarchs) didn't have the same concept of the afterlife that the Jews of Jesus' time and later Christians had. For them, the extinction of a male bloodline meant the complete and total death and non-existence of that person, so it was important that his name lived on after him. What Onan did highly dishonorable not merely to himself, but to his brother who did not produce children with Tamar. In the context of that day and time, Onan just as well tried to posthumously kill him.

That's just the legal aspect of Onan's sin. The social aspect is that he used his brother's widow for sex but didn't give her children.

And in some versions of that tale, say in jewish scripture, he was struck down by his in-laws, not by God.

And where in scripture is that written?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 4:06 pm

AngelRho wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:
Do we want to discuss the tale of Onan? Because I love explaining to christians - especially catholics - that Onan was killed not for wasting sperm but for being an as*hole to someone he had stewardship over. And further that the tale of Onan implies both that prostitution is A-OK and that the one form of birth control that the catholic church doesn't have a problem with is the one form of birth control Onan used.

Onan's sin was tantamount to attempted murder. In those days, the Hebrews (Onan was just a step or two down from the patriarchs) didn't have the same concept of the afterlife that the Jews of Jesus' time and later Christians had. For them, the extinction of a male bloodline meant the complete and total death and non-existence of that person, so it was important that his name lived on after him. What Onan did highly dishonorable not merely to himself, but to his brother who did not produce children with Tamar. In the context of that day and time, Onan just as well tried to posthumously kill him.

It's not a thumbs-up for prostitution, btw. I don't know where you get that idea. What Tamar did was deceitful and wrong. It also shows the fallibility of the patriarchs, especially since Judah had a taste for prostitutes (yeah, like we're supposed to believe that was the first time he ever did that?). In the end, however, he got what he deserved. The Bible doesn't ever endorse prostitution. But the Bible doesn't whitewash the facts, either. If someone had carnal knowledge of a prostitute (or someone posing as one), the Bible simply and plainly mentions that it happened. It's like if you watch the evening news or read the paper and there's a report of a burglary or a murder, would you infer that the newspaper or news program is endorsing burglary or murder?

But doesnt the Bible does say "better to cast thy seed into the belly of a whore than upon the ground."?

Not exactly endorsing prostitution, but its clearly saying that its the lesser of two evils when compared to spanking the monkey!

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 4:47 pm

A microscopic tadpole, with half the chromosomes necessary to make a human, with an outboard motor.
I don't consider that a human, and I'm not even sure I consider it alive.

It's a transportation machine, not a living creature:
It does not think, and it does not produce more of its kind.

Further, 300 million of them die during every ejaculation, even when attempting pregnancy. We can debate whether or not God considers those 300 million sperm to be 300 million human beings dying during every male orgasm, but I think that line of thinking get silly rather quickly when you believe the Bible about the character of God. "Might as well design a system that kills lots of people for no reason" is not the character of the God described by any part of the Bible.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 5:04 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
But doesnt the Bible does say "better to cast thy seed into the belly of a whore than upon the ground."?

No. I had never even heard that one before, or I would certainly have underlined the passage.

I typed your quote into google.

http://www.blueletterbible.org/faq/sayings.cfm#belly

Quote:
A commonly referenced proverb to highlight the evils of masturbation frequently mistaken as a biblical admonition is typically phrased as, "It is better to cast your seed in the belly of a whore than to spill it on the ground." The fact is, though, this is not anything to be found in the pages of Scripture. We get this question fairly often and have been trying to track down the origin of the saying, but alas, with no luck. While not certain of the phrase's exact origin, it does seem to be a false extrapolation of Genesis 38 and the story of Onan, Tamar, and Judah.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 5:28 pm

Horus wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
Horus wrote:
mikecartwright wrote:
Is birth control a sin and wrong ? Is sex only for procreation ? Is birth control like abortion ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birth_control

No.....procreation is.

Both birth control and abortion (at any time, for any reason....punch a late-term fetus for Jesus :D )....are gifts from the Ancient Ones who rightfully want nothing more than to see even the memory of humankind's existence wiped from the cosmos.

Just a friendly reminder from your local anti-natalist misanthrope. :wink:

Horus! You're back. :D

I am surprised anyone remembers me. :)

It's been many moons. I have much to say as soon as I can find the time to say it. I've actually been employed for nearly a year now after 18 months of unemployment.

Hope you are well!! ! :D

I remenber you! And I am happy that you're back. :D

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 7:19 pm

Of course not! It enables people to use sex for bonding and fun without having to worry about reproducing too early.
Not exactly what I call evil.

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 9:17 pm

No!
The world is over populated already. People use birth control to prevent childbirth.
More children means the population will grow. The world population is expected to be 7 billion by 2012.

I don't understand how it can be morally wrong to anyone because it does not kill the fetus. birth control prevents the fetus from forming during sex.
It is not abortion which is killing the fetus.

The only reason catholics are against it is because they want their religion to outnumber all the others.
No other reason would make any sense.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 9:28 pm

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 9:33 pm

Oh, he's talking about sterilization. I did that. Worked great, still no babies after 10 years. I'd recommend it for everyone.

ps, is that guy wearing a cape? Is he LARPing?

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 9:35 pm

pps, did Jesus make babies? I never heard of that happening. Why would he disobey God's explicit instructions to go forth and multiply? Priests aren't supposed to make babies either. wtf

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 9:41 pm

Burnbridge wrote:
pps, did Jesus make babies? I never heard of that happening. Why would he disobey God's explicit instructions to go forth and multiply? Priests aren't supposed to make babies either. wtf

It's the Old Testament. It doesn't count anymore ... except when it comes to homosexuality and worshiping God and stuff like that.

You know how it goes.

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 9:58 pm

AngelRho wrote:
I don't think birth control is a sin. But neither do I think that for Christians it's really the best option. In most religions, the single best way of ensuring the continuation of the faith is to have children and teach them the scriptures. Children are most likely to be receptive to the tenets of any faith if they start learning at a young age and see the same faith lived out in their parents' lives. It is not quite so easy to get someone to convert later in life, though it does often happen.

teach them the scriptures? anything but that!

we were debating gays in the military today in my economy class and one girl tried suggesting its wrong because America is based in Christianity and the forefathers wanted us to follow scriptures which involved killing homosexuals and cripples as the bible demands even though in truth America is a Secular nation as George Washington himself even said and America believes in Equallity for ALL men which the bible is against

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 10:00 pm

TheKing wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
I don't think birth control is a sin. But neither do I think that for Christians it's really the best option. In most religions, the single best way of ensuring the continuation of the faith is to have children and teach them the scriptures. Children are most likely to be receptive to the tenets of any faith if they start learning at a young age and see the same faith lived out in their parents' lives. It is not quite so easy to get someone to convert later in life, though it does often happen.

teach them the scriptures? anything but that!

we were debating gays in the military today in my economy class and one girl tried suggesting its wrong because America is based in Christianity and the forefathers wanted us to follow scriptures which involved killing homosexuals and cripples as the bible demands even though in truth America is a Secular nation as George Washington himself even said and America believes in Equallity for ALL men which the bible is against

Agreed. *nods head in agreement*