Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

J87
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Dec 2011, 2:51 am

Apparently aspies can't dance but I have always been a good dancer and when an artist brings out a new video, especially Beyonce, I am able to copy the dance perfectly just by watching the video a couple of times. But it annoys me because it's almost like an obsession. I can't help but learn the whole dance routine. It gets in the way of studying and I don't like most of the lyrics in pop music.

I feel clumsy when I walk like I can't judge the distance between me and an object only a few feet away but when it comes to dancing to a beat it feels completely effortless and natural.

Is anyone else like this?

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 3:08 am

Not me.

I just view dancing as a rather weak art form albeit one as difficult to master as any other.

It just all seems like meaningless gyrations to me and unlike music, literature, painting....it has no intellectual, emotional, or
*spiritual* impact on me.

I suck at it and don't bother trying since its one thing I'd never regret having no ability at
whatsoever.

Plus....there's just something so sickeningly human about it. For one thing....it is the art form which is associated with sexuality probably more than any other. I believe human sexuality, regardless of how pleasurable I myself even find it, ought to be left to the apes. Not to beings who are evolving gods. Sexuality is a hindrance to the loftiest things of the human spirit.

Morning comes the sunrise and i'm driven to my bed, I see that it is empty and there's devils in my head. I embrace, the many-colored beast...I grow weary of the torment....can there be no peace? I find myself just wishing, that my life would simply cease

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 4:00 am

J87 wrote:
Apparently aspies can't dance but I have always been a good dancer and when an artist brings out a new video, especially Beyonce, I am able to copy the dance perfectly just by watching the video a couple of times. But it annoys me because it's almost like an obsession. I can't help but learn the whole dance routine. It gets in the way of studying and I don't like most of the lyrics in pop music.

I feel clumsy when I walk like I can't judge the distance between me and an object only a few feet away but when it comes to dancing to a beat it feels completely effortless and natural.

Yes. I'm quite clumsy at other times and fall over (or almost fall over) more often than most. But, I love to dance. I don't tend to copy moves on music videos, I make up my own moves, in a similar style. I've been dancing since I was 3yrs and do Zumba now. I've always been able to follow choreography by hyperfocusing on the instructor. Any kind of dance music sends me into 'the zone'.

RedwoodCat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Dec 2011, 4:57 am

I love to dance by myself to my own beat, but dancing with others is a real challenge. To do a particular type of dance, I have to very carefully memorize the exact steps over and over. Watching others doesn't help me at all. I can't fake it or improvise. But once I've got the dance down, I do enjoy dancing with people I know. Dancing with strangers is pure torture.

AlastorX
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Dec 2011, 5:15 am

Heh, my ''dance'' consists of jumping around (thankfully, the music I listen to doesn't require much of anything else). Dancing with others, as in waltz, is something I am really terrible at.
However, I think that being an aspie doesn't mean that you can't dance because of the lack of coordination...for example, I did martial arts and it was solid. On the other hand, I still can't catch a ball properly.

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 10:40 am

J87 wrote:

Developmental Coordination Disorder, Dyspraxia, or Clinically Significant Clumsiness. Whatever term you prefer for it, it's a fairly common co-morbid disorder among people with Asperger's Syndrome. I wonder sometimes about the opportunities available for music therapy or expressive dance therapy as a form of habilitation or rehabilitation for people with this syndrome.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 1:27 pm

I cannot dance at all, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x6ywd1gyRE

ashura96
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Dec 2011, 6:25 pm

I don't really know how well my real dancing skills would be, but I am rather skilled at playing Dance Dance Revolution. :lol:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 10:38 pm

I dance the way that people did in the 60s.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 10:44 pm

I'd rather take a bullet to the head than dance.

Zabriski
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Dec 2011, 10:46 pm

I don't know how to dance. Usually I just bob my head and tap my foot, moving my body to the rhythm of the music. Not really dancing, but it makes me look like I'm awesome 8)

MindWithoutWalls
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 11:54 pm

As a kid, I was too embarrassed to dance in front of others, but as an adult, I came to feel okay about it. I haven't danced much in years, though, partly due to fibromyalgia fatigue. But I used to be okay at it, and I liked it. Now I drum for belly dancers, and I have so much respect for their art. One of my best friends is also one of our group's best dancers, and she also teaches. I've learned a lot about it from all of them, and it's increased my appreciation of dance in general. But it does make me feel a little more awkward about my own dancing again. I'm just not anywhere near as graceful and coordinated as they are. Besides, belly dancing involves some moves I can't even do at all.

Loitering is encouraged at The Wayshelter: http://wayshelter.com

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2011, 3:49 am

I can't dance like other people dance, I can't just improvise.
I'm a choreography jedi master though, I used to dance professionally (for a bit in my 20's). That's why I got so caught on brasilian music in the late 90's.....It was ALL choreographed. Everyone making the same moves at the same time. Loved it.