Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2011, 6:44 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Such as its illegal to use a fake address for employment...

Vagrancy is also illegal, so I suppose it's the lesser of two "evils" that the guy had to choose from. In my experience, most homeless people don't have ethical standards that high.

I also doubt most people know that it's illegal to use a fake address for employment. He could have things mailed as John Smith, c/o Jack Jones, 123 Main Street, as an example. Using c/o or simply stating that it's your "mailing address" would be fine I think. Especially considering that the person has offered to allow you to use it as a mailing address. I wouldn't think employers would be too specific about where your residence is, except to make sure that you don't live too far away so as to cause problems getting to work. The only time I would think it matters is if you would be handling items that are at risk of theft, ie; cash, or if they are going to give you a company car or cell phone so they will know where to get that back from you if you take off with it.

The answer "I'm staying with a friend right now, looking for a place, but this is my mailing address" would work fine.

Frances

It was just an idea, some people are paranoid about things like that, and what exactly is vagrancy?

Vagrancy is sleeping on the street, or in a park, or in your car. It's not sleeping at a homeless shelter, so being homeless itself isn't illegal. Although if he were at a shelter, then they would allow him to use their address as his for employment. They want people to find jobs, so they would be happy to help with that.

Well sometimes there is not a homeless shelter availible for them to sleep in, so that does not always work.......I don't see why it should be a crime to sleep on the street(provided you're not in the way of cars or pedestrians), park or car especially if you don't exactly have somewhere else to go........but ok now I know what that means. And yes finding a job is a good thing to do, however that should not always be the only focus maybe the homeless person in question has physical or mental health problems that should be adressed first

It's also illegal in many places to beg for money or panhandle or stand there with a sign or play guitar with an open case in front of you etc. Not everywhere, but many places. Loitering is illegal too, and that is just standing or sitting in a public area other than in a park during the hours the park is open. Like standing on a corner for hours, or hanging out in a parking lot.

Yeah I know that there are pleanty of signs to tell people not to do that, though I cannot say I mind the people playing guitar for change, some of them aren't bad at all.

They pick and choose where and when to enforce things though. When I was about 21 or so, my friends and I used to hang out in this one parking lot for hours. It was a K Mart parking lot and we all parked in the side lot and turned on our car stereos and drank wine coolers. Sometimes somebody played an acoustic guitar. Sometimes the boys smoked joints in this one guys pickup truck. The cops never bothered us though. Then again, that might be because one of the boys who was in the group was about 25 an actually on the police force. He wasn't one smoking pot in the other guys truck but he didn't care that his friends did it. He also didn't care that we weren't supposed to drink alcohol in public either, because he drank a lot. His gf didn't drink much at all and so she always drove them home.

Homeless folks get more harrassment from cops than others, or those who appear homeless do, anyway. If someone is, or looks homeless, they are more likely to get bugged by the cops. Thats because having lots of homeless people hanging around on the sidewalk or in parking lots is bad for business in the business district and in residential areas, homeowners don't want them around. They usually stay in areas around the mission if they don't sleep there, or in industrial areas.

Frances

Yeah thats how it is were I live as well, though I would think the cops would get more out of harrasing the people with more money, then again those people can probably afford lawyers and such.

You'd think attitudes would change during economic hard times. Really, anyone could wind up homeless. My parent's church gives them a place to sleep. Many of them are people who lost their jobs and couldn't pay the rent. People are evicted and kicked out onto the street all the time.

Teredia
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 11:04 am

marshall wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Such as its illegal to use a fake address for employment...

Vagrancy is also illegal, so I suppose it's the lesser of two "evils" that the guy had to choose from. In my experience, most homeless people don't have ethical standards that high.

I also doubt most people know that it's illegal to use a fake address for employment. He could have things mailed as John Smith, c/o Jack Jones, 123 Main Street, as an example. Using c/o or simply stating that it's your "mailing address" would be fine I think. Especially considering that the person has offered to allow you to use it as a mailing address. I wouldn't think employers would be too specific about where your residence is, except to make sure that you don't live too far away so as to cause problems getting to work. The only time I would think it matters is if you would be handling items that are at risk of theft, ie; cash, or if they are going to give you a company car or cell phone so they will know where to get that back from you if you take off with it.

The answer "I'm staying with a friend right now, looking for a place, but this is my mailing address" would work fine.

Frances

It was just an idea, some people are paranoid about things like that, and what exactly is vagrancy?

Vagrancy is sleeping on the street, or in a park, or in your car. It's not sleeping at a homeless shelter, so being homeless itself isn't illegal. Although if he were at a shelter, then they would allow him to use their address as his for employment. They want people to find jobs, so they would be happy to help with that.

Well sometimes there is not a homeless shelter availible for them to sleep in, so that does not always work.......I don't see why it should be a crime to sleep on the street(provided you're not in the way of cars or pedestrians), park or car especially if you don't exactly have somewhere else to go........but ok now I know what that means. And yes finding a job is a good thing to do, however that should not always be the only focus maybe the homeless person in question has physical or mental health problems that should be adressed first

It's also illegal in many places to beg for money or panhandle or stand there with a sign or play guitar with an open case in front of you etc. Not everywhere, but many places. Loitering is illegal too, and that is just standing or sitting in a public area other than in a park during the hours the park is open. Like standing on a corner for hours, or hanging out in a parking lot.

Yeah I know that there are pleanty of signs to tell people not to do that, though I cannot say I mind the people playing guitar for change, some of them aren't bad at all.

They pick and choose where and when to enforce things though. When I was about 21 or so, my friends and I used to hang out in this one parking lot for hours. It was a K Mart parking lot and we all parked in the side lot and turned on our car stereos and drank wine coolers. Sometimes somebody played an acoustic guitar. Sometimes the boys smoked joints in this one guys pickup truck. The cops never bothered us though. Then again, that might be because one of the boys who was in the group was about 25 an actually on the police force. He wasn't one smoking pot in the other guys truck but he didn't care that his friends did it. He also didn't care that we weren't supposed to drink alcohol in public either, because he drank a lot. His gf didn't drink much at all and so she always drove them home.

Homeless folks get more harrassment from cops than others, or those who appear homeless do, anyway. If someone is, or looks homeless, they are more likely to get bugged by the cops. Thats because having lots of homeless people hanging around on the sidewalk or in parking lots is bad for business in the business district and in residential areas, homeowners don't want them around. They usually stay in areas around the mission if they don't sleep there, or in industrial areas.

Frances

Yeah thats how it is were I live as well, though I would think the cops would get more out of harrasing the people with more money, then again those people can probably afford lawyers and such.

You'd think attitudes would change during economic hard times. Really, anyone could wind up homeless. My parent's church gives them a place to sleep. Many of them are people who lost their jobs and couldn't pay the rent. People are evicted and kicked out onto the street all the time.

Just to clear sumtin up... in Australia where I am from you could be camped out in the middle of iddley woop woop and and you'd still have an address. it may be lot 50009 Augustest Road NT, Australia but because of the telecom line and its markers theres always a postal address for that area. My dad taught me that when he was working as a road constructor and showed me what the yellow palls with numbers meant. we were 3 hours out of the nearest town.

PS the address is fake made up and NT stands for Northern Territory (which is where im from).