Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KuRowbot
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Dec 2011, 2:39 am

I feel like I tend to elaborate a bit too much or be a bit too verbose or explain way too much when someone asks me a question.
Kind of like that previous sentence. (And that one too.)

Any advice for how I can stop myself from doing that?

ashura96
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Dec 2011, 3:54 am

You just have to be able to restrain yourself. I think rambling on and on and on about something is a typical AS habit. I do it all the damn time. :/

KuRowbot
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Dec 2011, 4:43 am

Well, I noticed people will just ignore me sometimes, and I've gotten used to it.
I just think it'd be better if people didn't have to ignore me.
I wonder how long people will wait until they are so bored that they are afraid to ever ask me a question again.

cinbad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Dec 2011, 5:17 am

You might want to form your opinion in the form of a question. People seem to listen better to those who are interested in their opinions. I happen to know that you probably know so much about the subjects that you have a wealth of information in your brain. If you can think for 10 seconds before you answer and form it into a question that will allow the person speaking to figure out the answer themselves, it will make you a much better speaker and not as verbose. It will also make you look so much more clever and actually interesting.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 5:35 am

Oh yes. Whenever something requires five words, you can count on me to get the job done in 300. "Overly verbose answers to questions" was one of the first descriptions I gave of myself to my psychologist.

I also have a problem with getting sidetracked and going off on tangents. Someone will mention something in passing and the next thing I know, I've spent the last ten minutes ranting about something that they reminded me of.

Edit: I just now realized that "overly verbose" is redundant. You don't need to say "overly" since "verbose" already means using too many words. So this means that I've been using too many words to describe the way I use too many words. :lol:

AlastorX
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Dec 2011, 7:03 am

This happens to me very often, it happens when I am writing as well. I haven't really figured out yet how to control it well. Usually, I either think about what to say first so that I don't ramble. It is a double edged sword however, because in this case people need to wait for me to reply.
I also tried to make a habit of reminding myself to stop talking but that doesn't seem to work well.

cinbad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Dec 2011, 7:09 am

It is common for NT's to ask "Am I rambling?" ocassionally. Maybe it might be a good idea if we start to think we are rambling (which I know I question myself), just to ask.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 7:39 am

I don't ramble on. I'm the opposite - I mostly let the other person do the talking and I just do all the empathising (luckily I find empathising easy). There is usually a lot of awkward silences when I'm around, and when somebody asks me something I tend to just say ''yes'' or ''no'' or ''I don't know'', but I am now working on trying to give more detailed answers, because just saying ''yes'' or ''no'' or ''I don't know'' seems very blank.

Is is common in Aspies to ramble on, but I know some NTs who ramble on and I can't get a word in edgeways with them.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 7:53 am

I constantly ramble on about things. I love to talk. I actually enjoy meeting people and talking to them many times, as long as there are no expectations whatsoever for me to entertain them all evening, etc. I like to talk to strangers I meet at the store, the doctors office, etc. I love those conversations. If you were to invite me to a sit down dinner and I was expected to talk to the guest beside me, or if you were to invite me to a coctail party and I was expected to mingle and make small talk, I would freeze up because of the expectations. I do just fine at regular parties though, where people I know and some I've just met are sitting around and talking and stuff. I'll talk their ear off then.

The only time I ever do fine when I'm expected to talk is in a situation where I'm going into it angry. Like if my son gets in trouble at school and it's over something ridiculous, or I know for a fact he didn't do it - not because I trust him, but because I know for a fact some other way - and I have to go talk to the principal. Then I do a great job!

I also like working with the public. Those short, friendly encounters are great, I think. I like working with the public but most business owners don't like me working with their public. I tend to say the most off the wall things as humor. Mainly to amuse myself. If the customer is amused too, then that's just a bonus.

Frances

mar00
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 11:15 am

It's difficult for me to draw the main points out so I usually feel the need of explaining properly as it is in my head. I don't have just random facts, everything is based (to my best ability) and reasoned, it's a structure, not some useless facts. And when someone enters as in conversation it's all ripples.

But I just hate to talk and have little to no need for it. But I apparently write a ton.. What I do nowadays I just ask people various questions to clarify. That's how I engage more in a conversation as well. There are certain constraints I need to define before going in and so I try to keep them in mind and actually associate them with my functioning itself.

colonel1fan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Dec 2011, 11:21 am

I do that too. I always go into an elaborating explanation to everything. I feel like I have to explain myself so that people can understand where I come from

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 11:44 am

One of the phrases my best friend uses quite a lot is, 'I know what you're saying'. I think this is her polite way of saying , 'Stop now, I get it'.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 11:49 am

I hate it when I talk too much. I feel so annoying.

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 12:08 pm

Hey, can y'all keep it down in here? I can't hear myself think.

But seriously, folks... isn't one sided pedantic rambling a common AS characteristic on the spectrum? I'm quite "skilled" at one sided pedantry, as you may have noticed from some of my epic posts here on WP.

For me, I need to share all of the details. If I have to hold back and just give a summary, it hurts. Physically. In my torso.

olafoilmum wrote:
I also like working with the public. Those short, friendly encounters are great, I think. I like working with the public but most business owners don't like me working with their public. I tend to say the most off the wall things as humor. Mainly to amuse myself. If the customer is amused too, then that's just a bonus.

:thumright: +1, f' yeah! That's how I made buckets of cash a a waiter, and subsequently got hidden back in the kitchen. Customers love it, boss doesn't it. Story of my life.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 12:31 pm

I'm usually very quiet (but very pedantic). However, its easy to tell when I get noticeably tired because then I get very talkative and ramble a lot.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 11:07 pm

Every once in awhile I will get to rambling about something, but only with people who know me really well. Most of the time I'm very quiet and I don't talk much. I tend to get cornered by people who talk a lot and I have a hard time getting away from them. I just nod and smile because I don't really know what to say, and I don't want to be rude but in my head the whole time I'm thinking, when will they stop talking? like how can they not understand that they are torturing me? I don't know how to end conversations very well so they usually just go on until the other person finishes talking.