Philosophy is a hobby. No. It is a way of life.

Page 1 of 8 [ 123 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

rombomb2
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Dec 2011, 9:08 pm

I maintain that philosophy is a way of life. It is a way of thinking. And without it, thinking is riddled with mistakes. Mistaken thinking makes life difficult.

Philosophy is a thought process to be used in every part of your life. Thought is used constantly. Hobbies are occasional.

Please consider changing the subtitle of this category because Philosophy is NOT a hobby.

Last edited by rombomb2 on 15 Dec 2011, 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 10:37 pm

rombomb2 wrote:
I maintain that philosophy is a way of life. It is a way of thinking. And without it, thinking is riddled with mistakes. Mistaken thinking makes life difficult.

Philosophy is a thought process to be used in every part of your life. Thought is used constantly. Hobbies are occasional.

Please consider changing the subtitle of this category because Philosophy is NOT a hobby.

There are different philosophies. They can't all be the same way of thinking.

ruveyn

Skeith
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Dec 2011, 11:32 pm

odd as this is im actually in kinda agreement with rombomb. while its true there are different philsophies there are also different ways to live life. without having some form of it though then there really isn't much to build off of and gain any form of individuality.

rombomb2
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Dec 2011, 2:06 am

ruveyn wrote:
rombomb2 wrote:

There are different philosophies. They can't all be the same way of thinking.

ruveyn

No one claims that all philosophy is the same. Philosophy is ever changing. Why? Because thinking breads new ideas which then changes thinking, hence new philosophy.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 2:11 am

Given the amount of discomfort PPR can give to religionists, I find it kinda ironic that religion is the only subject from the title not eviscerated in the forum description. Kinda seems unfair the way PPR's description places religion up high, as some sort of cosmically significant thing, while philosophical reflection is degraded as "useless". As much as there are serious problems in academic philosophy, it's a hell've a lot more useful than theology.

rombomb2
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Dec 2011, 8:58 am

Master_Pedant wrote:
Given the amount of discomfort PPR can give to religionists, I find it kinda ironic that religion is the only subject from the title not eviscerated in the forum description. Kinda seems unfair the way PPR's description places religion up high, as some sort of cosmically significant thing, while philosophical reflection is degraded as "useless". As much as there are serious problems in academic philosophy, it's a hell've a lot more useful than theology.

Well I think that religion is not made fun of because it would hurt religionists emotionally. And its ok to make fun of philosophy because philosophers don't get hurt emotionally or otherwise.

But I couldn't care less that anyone protects the emotional state of religionists. What I care about is that philosophy is not considered useless. We've got to make it known that philosophy is as important, if not more important, than math, science, etc.

Regarding the serious problems in academic philosophy, yes I've noticed things too. But I think the problems have been fixed. The old philosophy is what is now called 'Continental Philosophy' and its not useful. They talk about stuff like 'To be or not to be.' But the new philosophy has learned from science, or rather the scientific method. It is called Scientific Philosophy. Its less than a hundred years new.

This new Scientific Philosophy is very simple. I've included a limited description below but you can read more here (http://curi.us/1541-how-to-create-knowledge):

Elliot wrote:
All knowledge is created by *guesses* and *criticism*. It is a process of trial and error, not one of deriving, induction, abduction, justification or empiricism (which is the old philosophies).

Knowledge also addresses problems. Problems aren't necessarily a bad thing but would include any question one has, or anything one wants to get and isn't sure how to get it.

Step one is to identify a problem. Just find anything that one thinks could be better in any way.

In step two, brainstorm ideas which might solve the problem; make guesses. There's no quality standards here, no rules or limitations, anything goes. And don't worry about coming up with enough ideas right away, you'll have unlimited chances to revisit this step later, so just move on as soon as you want.

Step three is to criticize the ideas. If anything at all is wrong with them, that's grounds for criticism. A criticism is an explanation of a flaw in an idea, and we want to be merciless here and find every flaw we can.

Step four is to do a mix of the previous steps in no particular order. You can have a lot of things in progress at once and bounce around between them, or you can be more methodical, either way is fine. Every time you criticize an idea, you have created a new problem: how could that idea be improved not to have the flaw criticized? And you've also created a new idea (the criticism itself) which can be exposed to criticism. So step three naturally feeds back into steps one and three.

So, criticism drives the process. Criticism identifies new problems we can try to solve, must be criticized itself in case it's mistaken, and sends us back to brainstorming as ideas are rejected. Criticism is the reason the initial steps are relaxed and easy: if any mistakes are made, they are supposed to be caught in the criticism step, you don't have to worry about them in the first steps.

The goal is to come up with a single idea which has no criticisms of it which you think will solve the problem best. When you reach that point, you're done. Everything you learned along the way, and this final result, are knowledge you have created.

There's also the possibility of criticizing the problem one is trying to solve, itself. Problems can have flaws too. Maybe there is a better way to frame the issue, or a better goal to try to accomplish instead. If a problem is criticized, one can try to brainstorm better problems or ways to improve it.

I'd like to add that there are two more concepts important in philosophy. The Socratic Method and Aristotle's 14 classic fallacies.

These 3 philosophical concepts are enough. The rest is useless. Unless someone can tell me otherwise. Hmm. Lets call what I just said a 'guess.' Anybody have any criticism?

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 9:24 am

I think it's a badger

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 9:27 am

rombomb2 wrote:

I think it's supposed to be a joke.

rombomb2
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Dec 2011, 1:58 pm

Moog wrote:
rombomb2 wrote:

I realize that. But the joke has side effects. Although the sides effects might be negligible. Philosophy has been effectively erased from education. And the only way to bring it back, is to show people that it is not useless. This joke reinforces the misnomer that philosophy is only an academic subject that can never be applied in real life.

This is my stance. Does anyone have a criticism?

MarcusTulliusCicero
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Dec 2011, 2:08 pm

rombomb2 wrote:
Moog wrote:
rombomb2 wrote:

I realize that. But the joke has side effects. Although the sides effects might be negligible. Philosophy has been effectively erased from education. And the only way to bring it back, is to show people that it is not useless. This joke reinforces the misnomer that philosophy is only an academic subject that can never be applied in real life.

Yup

Philosophy still exists in the school system. It's simply not the philosophy you want.

rombomb2
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Dec 2011, 2:16 pm

MarcusTulliusCicero wrote:
rombomb2 wrote:
Moog wrote:
rombomb2 wrote:

Yup

Philosophy still exists in the school system. It's simply not the philosophy you want.

Thats correct. I should have clarified. Philosophy only exists in school as a subject. It does not exist as an underlying way of learning all the other subjects, which it should, as was done for roughly 3,000 years prior to the modern education system. This is now called the Classical Education, as in the trivium and quadrivium. The Classical Education produces autonomous thinkers.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 2:50 pm

Philosophy is the purest form of mental masturbation, and it was created by lazy Athenian citizens so they would have something else to do besides physically masturbate or molest slave children. Even Aristotle proved detrimental- this thought experiments that he was to lazy to try proved bad for science for a couple millennia. He should have shut his piehole (or continued stuffing it) and left the science experiments to someone willing to get off their ass!

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 3:15 pm

John_Browning wrote:
Philosophy is the purest form of mental masturbation, and it was created by lazy Athenian citizens so they would have something else to do besides physically masturbate or molest slave children. Even Aristotle proved detrimental- this thought experiments that he was to lazy to try proved bad for science for a couple millennia. He should have shut his piehole (or continued stuffing it) and left the science experiments to someone willing to get off their ass!

QFT

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

Dedalus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Dec 2011, 3:19 pm

Philosophy is actually very important and real. While it is mainly confined to academic circles at the moment (and what's less real about that anyway?), their ideas tend to trickle down into the arts and then into the laypeople.

Monumentally important. Everything you see, think, and do, has been shaped by the ideas of philosophers over the ages.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 3:34 pm

I agree that philosophy is a way of life. But I don't think it is only that. It is also a method of thinking about life and a method of searching for truth (if there is such a thing).

rombomb2
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Dec 2011, 4:49 pm

John_Browning wrote:

I see. I didn't know this about Aristotle. But does Aristotle's bad behavior make his 14 classic fallacies any less valid?