Philosophy is a hobby. No. It is a way of life.

Page 8 of 8 [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 11:05 am

lunarious wrote:
Wow...

When I was younger, I decided that I will not use anything that I dont understand how works. Which i found out later was that I couldnt use the computer for example. .... Time passed and suffering became too much, suffering upon suffering, and then I decided that I will use the computer but I vow to learn everything about it (altough it is very hard recieving from the schools as you said). Now here I am and I know that I might not catch the train and I dont know the f***ing soctratic method yet, so I have decided that I will use the computer but I will remain in debt to the computer producers, the miners for metal, the screen glass producers. I will repay them with my service (I dont know really if they told me, that they dont want my service I would leave them alone ... maybe I should leave them if they request that)

Can you brief me about the socratic method as a scientist?

Salam

In modern times scientists (aka natural philosophers) have never used the Socratic Method. The Socratic Method is a debating tactic and involved picking words apart. It has little or nothing to do with making careful observations of the physical world (which is to say, the real world). Socrates was no scientist. Aristotle was, but a very bad one.

ruveyn

rombomb2
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Dec 2011, 11:28 am

ruveyn wrote:
Quote:
Can you brief me about the socratic method as a scientist?

Salam

In modern times scientists (aka natural philosophers) have never used the Socratic Method. The Socratic Method is a debating tactic and involved picking words apart. It has little or nothing to do with making careful observations of the physical world (which is to say, the real world). Socrates was no scientist. Aristotle was, but a very bad one.

ruveyn

No that is not the Socratic Method. What you are referring to is a derivation of the Socratic Method for the practice of debate as in Law School. A derviation just like the Scientific Method is a derivation.

The most general form of the Socratic Method is only a questioning technique. It does have qualities of a debate but only because a debate uses a method that is a derviation of the Socratic Method and so some of the child method's qualities are assumed from the parent method. The child is the Debate-version of the Socratic Method and the parent is The Socratic Method.

Are there any software guys out there that can help me with my point? This is your ball court we're in right now.

lunarious
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Dec 2011, 10:38 am

Ah!.... I know! But I must find out on the net first to give you a brief answer.

Inheritance in CSShttp://www.webdesignfromscratch.com/html-css/css-inheritance-cascade/#1

I wont be suprised if you dont get the technical aspect nor should it be important to you I understand, still you can understand from the first paragraph over there. But if you want we could analyze an example (Ill need one day then to freshen up). This is sure around on other computer stuff but I am really rusy in computer (once I was shiny), I am getting embarrased,