Page 1 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 2:02 am

this guy lectures like a research scientist (ie, not entertaining), but a good presentation of the facts.
http://youtu.be/ElI-XVGHCHs

Last edited by LKL on 13 Dec 2011, 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 2:12 am

The link does not work.

"I belive in God, only I spell it Nature."
~ Frank Llyod Wright

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 2:33 am

try it now.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 2:56 am

I just don't think that man made global warming or climate change, whatever you want to call it, is that big of a deal.
The world have worse problems to deal with. Whatever happens to the climate, we will adapt.

Diagnosed in 2005

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 2:59 am

pete1061 wrote:
I just don't think that man made global warming or climate change, whatever you want to call it, is that big of a deal.
The world have worse problems to deal with. Whatever happens to the climate, we will adapt.

He didn't go into the consequences very much at all, I agree... there are plenty of studies about that, though, that make it appear to be a Very Bad Thing. Would you like me to dig some of them up?

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 3:21 am

LKL wrote:
pete1061 wrote:

He didn't go into the consequences very much at all, I agree... there are plenty of studies about that, though, that make it appear to be a Very Bad Thing. Would you like me to dig some of them up?

You could, but it's not going to change my mind.
I just plain don't care about my carbon footprint. And I'll be dead by the time there is any kind of a significant effect.
How "bad" could it be anyhow?
Sea level rises, then move, or build dykes. It's not gonna happen overnight.
Toxins & nutrient depletion in the soil is going to make croplands infertile before the climate will.
Monsanto and their GMO crops is more of a threat than the climate is.
And so there might be major storms, sounds exciting to me. A little chaos now and then keeps the world from getting too boring.

Anyway, meteorologists can't even get the 10 day forecast right, do you really think they know with any accuracy what will happen in 100-200 years?

Diagnosed in 2005

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 8:19 am

pete1061 wrote:
I just plain don't care about my carbon footprint. And I'll be dead by the time there is any kind of a significant effect.

It has already have. If you'd like to believe otherwise, you are an idiot and anti-reality. I don't really have a problem with you being anti-reality, but please keep your stupidity to yourself and don't try to proselytize it. The world would be a much better place if ignoramus stopped sharing their opinions.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 9:49 am

Here is the Catch-22 of climate models. They all have too many adjustable parameters and they can be fiddled to fit a large variety of data. To put a point on it: we have climate Model. We do not yet have climate Science.

Even so, I am very much in favor a replacing energy from hydrocarbon burn with heat derived from nuclear fission. That will make us less dependent on nations and parties that are hostile to the United States. If we stop using so much oil and gas we can let OPEC drown in their oil and choke on their gas.

Burn atoms, not oil.

ruveyn

Last edited by ruveyn on 13 Dec 2011, 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 10:00 am

Canada Pulls Out of Kyoto Protocol

Quote:
Canada pulled out of the Kyoto Protocol on climate change Monday, saying the accord won't help solve the climate crisis. It dealt a blow to the anti-global warming treaty, which has not been formally renounced by any other country.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 10:06 am

worst thing about threads llike these is they make me want for an iceage

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 11:04 am

Vexcalibur wrote:
pete1061 wrote:

It has already have. If you'd like to believe otherwise, you are an idiot and anti-reality. I don't really have a problem with you being anti-reality, but please keep your stupidity to yourself and don't try to proselytize it. The world would be a much better place if ignoramus stopped sharing their opinions.

Calling me an idiot & ignoramus is a really good way of winning me over to your side.

Diagnosed in 2005

Last edited by pete1061 on 13 Dec 2011, 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 11:40 am

pete1061 wrote:
Anyway, meteorologists can't even get the 10 day forecast right, do you really think they know with any accuracy what will happen in 100-200 years?
Jesus Christ I can't stand this one. Yes they are actually accurate because they NEVER say it will rain tomorrow with absolute certainty, but that there's a 60% chance it will. And generally it does usually rain 6 out of 10 times.

I haven't heard one argument against global warming that doesn't involve assuming that the experts overlook obvious things as if they're supposed to lack "common sense".

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 12:22 pm

I'm just sick and tried of all you enviro-zealots crying about how horrible global warming is.
Big freakin deal!! ! so it gets a little warmer,.... I DON'T CARE!! !!
It's not the end of the world.

It's blown all out of proportion because the scientists get a bigger budget if they scare everyone, and it gives governments excuses to tax and regulate more. It also gives the eco-sheep a smug sense of self satisfaction in turning a light switch off and driving a wimpy hybrid car.

Diagnosed in 2005

Last edited by pete1061 on 13 Dec 2011, 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 12:44 pm

LOL take a deep breath bro, I'm not an eco guy by any stretch of the imagination. I know jack s**t about global warming and wouldn't know where to start when it comes to CO2 or methane or whatever, but given that there's a scientific consensus, that smog is known to be caused by man, and that all the anti-global warming arguments I've heard so far are weak I'll take the word of scientists for it. btw I'm saving up for a 4.4L Monte Carlo with a nice big V8, so much for me being a Prius driving douche hahaha, I also don't believe carbon taxes is the right way to address this since I'm against raising taxes for the sake of social engineering.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 12:53 pm

I'm not denying that man made climate change exists.

I just don't see it as a very important issue.
The biggest threat from a changing climate is inconvenience for humans.

The toxic stuff in the environment is far more of a pressing issue than CO2.
Forget the weather, the planet is getting poisoned.

I also agree that there should be a shift away from fossil fuels, but not because of CO2, but because there are more efficient and inexpensive ways to get energy. And there is only a finite supply of fossil fuels. Seems kinda silly we use all this oil & gas, when everything is literally made of energy. People need to start making use of the amazing things Tesla came up with.

I'm just pissed off at Vexcalibur for his insults.

Diagnosed in 2005

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 4:33 pm

@ Pete, if you don't give a damn why did you choose to come to a thread about climate change?