Refined Sugar (white table sugar)

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 8:44 am

Does anyone have to avoid white sugar because it causes you to become very depressed two to three days after consuming it? Once someone gave me a large lemonade saying it was the sugar-free one when it wasn't. I couldn't tell the difference until two days later when I started to feel like I wanted to die and that I didn't want my home or family anymore. (In reality, that's the ONLY thing that I live for) And also that my life was absolutely pointless and I should have never been born. Once the feeling passed, I felt like myself again and couldn't even imagine why I would feel this way. While on LEXAPRO, I was able to eat sugar BUT the feeling was muted as if it wanted to escape but was behind some sort of barrier. I had to get off of lexapro because I blew up like a balloon! Once off the meds, I lost weight like crazy!! I think that there is some sort of parallel between sleep/sugar/caffeine.
While on lexapro, I used to dream very vividly. I couldn't wait to go to sleep to see what awaited me in the dream world. Sugar or too much caffeine(coffee instead of soda or tea) gave me nightmares.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 12:57 pm

No, but I don't use it anyway. I don't see the point of it, really.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 1:07 pm

I feel very lethargic after eating that stuff and I feel a little down. That's why I use Sugar Twin or Splenda instead. I also drink diet pop as well.

FromPluto
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jun 2017, 5:39 am

Yes. Lots of symptoms including depression and worsening autistic traits (I'm an Aspie). I start feeling sick the next day; the worst is two days later. I'm totally fine four days later. Sucrose only. I cut it out strictly. I don't even eat fruit in a significant amount. Lately, I joke with my husband... I say, I had a sugar oops and now I'm going to be much more autistic the next three days. I have a few theories as to why it is but actually I don't know why.

I was just on a thread where a bunch of ASDers were saying they love sugar and carbs and it makes everything better. So possibly it is an individual biochemistry thing and not an autism specific thing. But whatever it is... it makes the negative effects associated with my ASD much much worse.

I get the same thing if I even inhale near a dairy product. I'm exaggerating... for the literal minded. I just mean I have to be super strict with dairy also.