Page 4 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 4:03 pm

Alternative wrote:
It doesn't matter if the character is boring or not, what matters is, when writing this character in a story, you must emotionally connect your character to the audience.

You can make a 'boring' character interesting.

I don't have an example to hand right now, but I'm sure a like-minded user will elaborate on this. :)

I know what you mean. As for why I think most fiction fails nowadays it is because the Authors have lost touch with themselves, with why they enjoy writing. They wind up making more and more mediocre works simply because they usually sell better. I just have the belief that the Author should write what they want, not what the audience tells them to. Its a big reason why I like George R R Martin's works, he writes what he himself WANTS to write, not going by what the audience specifically is demanding to happen. I think most people should know what I mean. You shouldn't be writing simply for $$$, you should solely do it because you enjoy weaving a tale.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 4:16 pm

1000Knives wrote:
Freak-Z wrote:
1000Knives wrote:
I think the main problem is teenage protagonists. I don't like too many animes with modern teenage protagonists, I find them totally unrelateable, and did as a teenager as well. 80s or so was really good for teenage protagonists, but now all the kids are just whiny emo kids in almost all animes. Patlabor was one of my favorite animes for a big reason, in that the youngest protagonists were my age now, like 20 or so, in a world of adults. When you make a character older, they necessarily become less emo.

So basically back in your day it was better? :roll: And what do you mean by less emo? You are being extremely cruel to just call them or people who relate to them whiny emo kids, what do you want them to do? Bottle up their feelings?

Yeah, bottling up the feelings, pretty much. It's the way I was raised, more or less, and of course I have complications from doing it, but I much prefer seeing a character who bottles up his feelings and gets stuff done rather than...not. And it's not back in my day, I'm 20. So no, back in my day, it wasn't better. But yes, I much prefer characters that now people consider "one dimensional" who aren't awarded the luxury of feelings, as I can relate to that. In my life experiences, I wasn't awarded the luxury of having feelings, so I just ignored them. Now, when things are more calmed down, I have to deal with these silly feelings.

What I mean by this is, if you're a soldier in Afghanistan, or a starving person in Ethiopia, you don't get to have feelings. You're too concerned with your own survival for them, you simply can't be an emo kid, or else you die.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. Basically, I relate much more to things like this happening to characters when they're emo, as it's more or less what happened to me.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzOVNnvvaRg[/youtube]

That's the formula for creating that dog that all the sudden snaps and bites its abuser's face clean off. You beat its nose with a stick every time it whimpers for food. Stupid emo dog.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 12:10 am

Zokk wrote:
The_Perfect_Storm wrote:
Can someone provide an example of one of these characters?

Which ones? The overly-dysfunctional ones, or the properly dysfunctional ones? Or both?

Both please.

TheFerretHadToGo
Raven
Raven

12 Jan 2012, 4:25 am

Don´t know if this is necessary, I just wanted to point out that a knight-in-shining-armour is not normal, but an extreme.
A character who fled home and became a junkie gangleader because her father raped her is just another extreme.
I guess what Zokk is after is not that characters should be grey and boring but believable. That means a charcter has flaws, not that he/she is totally peftect a complete defect.