Are strange accents part of Asperger's?

Page 4 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

awgthtgtata
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jan 2013, 12:52 pm

^^Agreed I was very slow to learn words correctly. My words still come out odd. If I focus on a conversation I can make them come out more less right but when stress not so much.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 5:12 pm

I do a little radio show on a local public access station in the washington dc area.

Years ago there was a young guy who did a show on the timeslot just before mine.

He spoke (on and off air) in the strangest version of American English I have ever heard.

Imagine Tony Danza, or Rocky Balboa, speaking in that "Yo! Tony! Friggin'- A" blue collar urban northeastern dialect. But imagine that combined with a southern drawl!

Strangest thing I ever heard.

I finnally asked his buddies "what part of the country is your friend from?"

They said that he was "from around here". When I asked about the way he talked they all said "he used to talk normal. He only started talking that way when he started smoking pot in highschool."

If pot can do that to you ( cause you to speak in your own private dialect), I guess aspergers could too.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 12 Jan 2013, 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knifegill
Raven
Raven

12 Jan 2013, 5:13 pm

People think I have an accent. I don't. Go figure.

fluffypinkyellow
Raven
Raven

12 Jan 2013, 7:34 pm

People say my accent is unusual too, but they can't place it. Everyone has an accent, unless they are mute. What sounds "normal" to you may sound jarring in another part of the world.

Kindertotenlieder79
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Jan 2013, 7:56 pm

I've always sounded different from others. I had a friend in college comment on my "pseudo-British" accent. Had someone tell me once I sounded like a "rich boy". The local accent never appealed to me, but I've become better at imitating it.

Burandii
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jan 2013, 7:57 pm

My friend has a European accent (British, Scottish, I really have no specific idea) and she has AS, :o so I guess some do. Oh, and she was born in Scotland because of her dad being in the military. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, just putting it out there.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 10:48 pm

I was born and raised in California; I've never lived anywhere else. And yet, I've had at least one person at work wonder if I was from New York or something. Still another person told me that I seemingly have "no accent." When I hear recordings of my own voice, it seems a little nasal-y.

Catharascotia
Raven
Raven

12 Jan 2013, 11:18 pm

I'm from Michigan, USA. When I was younger everybody used to ask me if I was British. I've grown out of that though.

Weiss_Yohji
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jan 2013, 12:10 am

I used to live in Maryland's Lower Eastern Shore, so I've still got a not-quite-Southern accent. But I pronounce "water" as "wooter", which is fairly common in Delaware (Thank Philadelphia for spreading their accent this far south). Being from a Mid-Atlantic state, I'm Northern, Southern, or Canadian depending on where I go. If I go to upstate New York, I'm told I have a Southern accent. If I go to Virginia, I'm either from Philly, New Jersey, or Canada (I pronounce "about" close to "aboot" despite being American born-and-bred and having never been outside the U.S.).

We've got plenty of Eastern Europeans and Hispanic immigrants where I live, and I once worked in a restaurant run by Turks, so I've picked up some of their accents as well.