Are strange accents part of Asperger's?

Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

theaspiemusician
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Dec 2011, 2:19 am

I have this weird accent I can't even place that I shouldn't have because it doesn't sound ANYTHING like everyone elses around me. I don't know if this is an Asperger's thing or if this accent is from something else. I've been told it's almost German but also mixed with Irish, but my friends could be wrong. I heard you can get this from a stroke, and I had a type of seizure when I was 3 that was SIMILAR to a stroke. It could have done something like that, but I haven't had the accent exactly that long. Anyone know what this could be?

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2011, 2:59 am

Sometimes people with AS have an 'unusual' accent. I think it is because we absorb so many different words from different people when we are young and the pronunciation stays the same, hence in my case, I have a northern and southern British mix.

theaspiemusician
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Dec 2011, 3:07 am

When I say "about" I say "A Boat"

hockeytaz
Raven
Raven

25 Dec 2011, 3:12 am

i'm told I sound incredibly Canadian, but I've only visited there never lived there. I did live quite close to the border for awhile, but none of my friends had the same accent that lived in our town. I also tend to mix in a Southern Twang at times as well. It's really weird.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2011, 4:22 am

I have an accent. People think I am from somewhere else like New York or Australia or the east.

rainbowbutterfly
Toucan
Toucan

25 Dec 2011, 4:46 am

I've grown up in southern California and have lived within this state all of my life, but I've still been asked where my accent's from. I think there was 1 person who thought that I have a midwestern accent, even though I've never even visited the midwest. This is probably because I talk slower and slightly monotonous.

DreamSofa
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Dec 2011, 5:29 am

No, strange accents are not part of being on the spectrum.

PiriReis
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Dec 2011, 5:33 am

Definately think it can be an as trait. My son goes to a school that has only kids with as. (which has been so so awesome!) and several of the kids have interesting accents not justified by where we live.

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2011, 5:42 am

I have an ugly voice and accent too :( Everybody told me that and they make fun of me :cry:

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2011, 6:01 am

Look at Dexter, the cartoon-character (from Dexter's Laboratory). He's been bullied in one episode by a big kid for having strange accent...

Episode 2/83: http://www.tv.com/shows/dexters-laborat ... ate-24623/

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?409 ... osed-to-be

Anyway, the way I speak is quite uncommon, though they wouldn't say I have accent, they would just say I speak too fast and pronounce / articulate badly... When I here my voice, for example, echoing in the cell phone or on Skype, I feel ashamed how strange my voice sounds in my own ears... 8O

melmaclorelai
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Dec 2011, 6:05 am

I've never visited the place but I've been told I have a hint of Canadian in my accent. I've never really been able to explain why, so it wouldn't suprise me if it part of AS.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2011, 6:21 am

Yes. We learn language in a totally different way. Most people think I sound American, maybe because I watched a lot of American films and television growing up.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2011, 6:42 am

I'm not sure on this one
My accent is certainly less broad than it is locally, you can see on the first link of my sig.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2011, 6:53 am

I have a pretty unusual accent for the area where I grew up. I don't mind. I celebrate it like I do the rest of my differences.

Teredia
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2011, 7:10 am

Being Autsralian i dont have any real particular accent as such, but being from which state/Territory i am from, the rest of my friends from other states believe i have an american accent.
I also have other aspie friends who have this so called "american" accent, we all blame it on the fact we used to watch so many American TV shows as kids.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2011, 7:46 am

Teredia wrote:
I also have other aspie friends who have this so called "american" accent, we all blame it on the fact we used to watch so many American TV shows as kids.

I know, right? I'm like OMG.