Is there such a thing as verbal stimming?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2011, 2:23 pm

I tend to repeat a lot of things, i can control it but really relaxes me; little sounds and short ditties. I don't have Tourette's or something though. I don't do any kind of flapping or physical stuff. Is anyone familiar with what I'm talking about?

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

nintendofan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Dec 2011, 2:49 pm

Verbal stiming is quite comon. in both low-functining autism and high functing. i do alot of vocal stims im not very verbal. my family somimes get anoyead.

Mahlon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Dec 2011, 2:54 pm

Yes there definitely is and thats how I tend to think of it too, its a form of Echolalia. There's a few other threads around here if you care to dig for them with lots of good info :)

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2011, 3:50 pm

i do it with words i make up.

Reynaert
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Dec 2011, 4:16 pm

There's echolalia (where you repeat sounds that others make, or animals or somesuch), and there's verbal stimming. Perhaps echolalia is a form of verbal stimming but I'm not sure.
To me it is different. I mimic things sometimes, but not out of stress. But I also do stuff like sing loudly in the car, or say made-up words, or try throat singing.

Actually, throat singing is a very nice way of stimming, because it resonates so nicely through your chest. I can really get lost in all the sounds and overtones sometimes.

wanderinggrl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Dec 2011, 6:05 pm

I do this as well but I dont vocalize it. I repeat strings of numbers or phrases/over over and over in my head. Would that still be a form of stimming?

Letta
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Dec 2011, 7:17 pm

I do this a lot. Sometimes I can say things like - hello - hello - hello again and again, just to my self. (I don´t no why I do this).
Or I can say - yes - yes - yes - yes, again and again. Or - no - no - no - no.
I have notis that I do this f.ex. when i walk and before i sleep.

Does anyone know why I say this things to my self ?. Sometimes I think it is because I am lonely.

(I am from Scandinavia - sorry typos).

NaomiDB
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jan 2012, 7:35 am

yeah definitely I often repeat sentences either in my head or aloud especially if it's a word or sentence i like the sound of

Circle989898
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 8:14 am

my brother does this and it really annoys me

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 12:08 pm

yup, and i do it a lot....

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

Conspicuous
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Jan 2012, 3:37 pm

Me too. Especially with words that contain hard C sounds, S sounds or hard T sounds. I love the feel of C and T in my mouth and the whistling sound of S.

169Kitty
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jan 2012, 5:19 pm

I think there is. I think stimming can be involved for any of the senses.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 4:05 pm

This is quite interesting. I don't repeat words or make them up, but I talk a lot to myself when I'm doing household chores. In different dialects and voices, or sometimes in rhymes. My brain finds rhymes very entertaining for some reason.

If I like a spontaneous rhyme, I might say it again when I repeat the activity that inspired it. For example, after drowning my first cup of coffee in the morning, I might say something like "I drain this cup of beverage, my brain is up to average." It's totally silly, I know :) But since I'm alone 24 hours a day, I need to do something to keep the old brain in working order and myself from going crazy. At least that's how I used to rationalize it until now. I never thought of this as stimming, but it makes a lot of sense now that I think about it.