Has getting a diagnosis ever caused more harm than good?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

thegatekeeper
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jan 2012, 9:33 pm

I am an aspie; I know this

The thing I don't know is whether or not it will ultimately help me or hurt me to get an official diagnosis? I currently have a no-discrimination health insurance policy, but am afraid that if I ever had to get a different one, I would be denied or charged outlandish amounts of money

What about employers? If you are completely honest when you say you have no physical or mental deficits that would preclude you from employment, could they still find your Asperger's diagnosis and exclude you as "unfit"?

Any insight would be appreciated

RobotGreenAlien2
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jan 2012, 11:21 pm

I know someone who was on her way to becoming a medical professional related to her special interest.
She was about 6 months away from graduating, interning in her chosen profession when the college decided
to enforce a rule rely intended to keep sociopaths out of those professions. Ending her career and throwing
away years of her life.
She was getting on extremely well where she was interning, had a very good bedside manner knew everything
about her chosen subject. The people where she worked wrote letters trying to get the college to see sense
but to no avail. This is in a north European country, finding an alternative institution could require leaving the
country and possible beginning again.

fleurdelily
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jan 2012, 12:08 am

Temple Grandin says simply that a diagnosis can mess you up, so you don't want that in your medical records (saw that in a video of her, on youtube)