Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Goggles
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Jan 2012, 1:15 am

I'm just wondering if anyone on here who has a Learning Disabilty stim in any way? If so, what do you do when you stim and/or what do you stim with?

Lizerina
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jan 2012, 1:27 pm

The only DX I have that could be classified as a learning disorder is ADHD, but I also have schizophrenia, anxiety, and sensory issues. I stim a lot.

These are my most frequent ones:
- Rubbing my thumbs on my fingertips
- Hand/Arm flapping
- Rocking
- Thumbsucking
- Playing with/chewing on my train, Lady

These ones I do rarely or only under certain circumstances:
- Verbal stims
- Head banging
- Head shaking
- Twisting/Playing with my hair

That's all I can really think of right now. Although, I feel that you should know that everybody stims in one way or another. A lot of times it's just simple stims like chewing on a pen/pencil or bouncing you leg.

barnett
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Apr 2015, 5:19 am

My child stims when he’s excited. He poises his fingers in a certain way and flaps his hands. I honestly don’t mind his behavior because it helps give me an insight into how he’s feeling.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2015, 8:51 pm

I've heard Asperger's classified as a social learning disability, so regular old AS stims would count if you agree with that classification.

RaspberryFrosty
Toucan
Toucan

22 Apr 2015, 10:18 pm

I have a nonverbal learning disorder, anxiety problems, and depression.

I stim by wringing my hands when I obsessively worry over something. I also flap my hands when I get excited.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Apr 2015, 1:07 am

I have dyslexia & ADD. I stim by playing with things in my hand, rocking in my chair, putting things in my mouth which I quit doing, & by banging my head which I don't do much anymore.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 3:56 pm

Are you using the American meaning or British meaning?

American meaning = normal IQ with a delay in a specific area
British meaning = IQ below 70-75 (what Americans call cognitive disability or mental retardation)

In my experience, stims are sometimes seen in people with specific learning disabilities (American meaning), but are especially common in individuals with cognitive disability. I'd estimate around 25% of the non-autistic individuals with cognitive disability that I've met have had some sort of stim, with the most severely impaired having the highest rate of stimming.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 8:39 pm

Ettina wrote:
In my experience, stims are sometimes seen in people with specific learning disabilities (American meaning), but are especially common in individuals with cognitive disability. I'd estimate around 25% of the non-autistic individuals with cognitive disability that I've met have had some sort of stim, with the most severely impaired having the highest rate of stimming.

I've had trouble noticing other NTs stim, but of the autistics I know, including myself, stims are very frequent. Often times, I am unaware of my stims until afterwards or when someone tells me. I have OCD, borderline personality disorder, ADHD, Tourettes, and dyscalculia. I have a lot!