Page 1 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

whiteofmouth
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jan 2012, 4:58 pm

Every couple months or so, when I get really lonely I'll throw up a profile and see what happens. Generally underwhelmed and find myself deleting it given a couple weeks. It's nice to look at a bunch of attractive eligible single people and read about them, but I think there are only a few serious people who are seriously looking for meaningful relationships on there.

whiteofmouth
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jan 2012, 4:58 pm

dub post.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 9:41 pm

I don't know if it's all bad guys though, or NTs. I got a guy with a physical condition that causes him to be in a wheelchair who messaged me (I don't care about that stuff at all). I dunno, for those people who just joined or have haven't responded to messages, just keep trying. And talk to people who are potential matches, not based on the "questions" percentage, but based on what they say on their profile. Do they seem like somebody you would like?

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 9:59 pm

I reactivated my OkCupid profile after a 6 month hiatus. I am going to try a less passive-aggressive stance now. My previous tactic of rating girls with 4-5 stars and expect them to approach me did not work.

Of course, that still brings me a problem: I am terrible at starting conversations. I am trying to come up with more creative messages than "Hi, I like your profile", but you would not believe how hard it is for me to think about something to say. Nevertheless, I have approached 3 girls so far and I am trying to think of something to say to a fourth girl who is on my Quiver.

Anyway, if you want to look at it (it is written in Brazilian Portuguese), you are welcome:

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/Magnus_Rex

hyperlexian, if you are reading this, I decided to give my "cat photo" a try. According to MyBestFace, it had a 11:8 approval rating (not my best photo, but good enough).

To the OP: cheer up. You actually hooked up with a guy. It may not have worked as you expected, but it is proof enough that you should not give up.

MinorAnnoyance
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jan 2012, 12:45 am

Magnus_Rex wrote:
Of course, that still brings me a problem: I am terrible at starting conversations.
Have you not read this:

Exactly What To Say In A First Message

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 12:02 am

Me too, no mormons on there. I get messages....I've been on there for a few weeks and half my inbox is being used...but I can sum up the majority of them:

"Hey gorgeous"

"Wats up?"

"wanna have sex"

"what is lds"

I think out of all my messages, maybe a handful contain actual content.

But what annoyed me is I found a cute guy, mormon, similar interests, but he didn't think it would work out because he loves meat. :cry:

There is good news, okcupid is 100x better than datehookup, I have never actually had a real conversation on there 8O

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 12:18 am

MinorAnnoyance wrote:

Actually, my messages follow the same guidelines from that link. Interesting: I am doing things right without even knowing. :D

...But I am still waiting for a reply. None of the five girls I messaged yesterday has logged on since then. I wonder if there is any chance of success.

noname_ever
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 1:06 am

This was rather interesting about their response rates.

your-looks-and-online-dating

curlyfry
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 11:02 am

I decided to try again and go looking for someone more friend than match. Since all the guys who were matches were snobby and or too conservative. Some wouldn't even reply to my messages. I found someone who has been polite in responding to my messages but the last message I sent, he replied with quite indifference. Now I'm baffled.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 11:13 am

chrissyrun wrote:
Me too, no mormons on there. I get messages....I've been on there for a few weeks and half my inbox is being used...but I can sum up the majority of them:

"Hey gorgeous"

"Wats up?"

"wanna have sex"

"what is lds"

But what annoyed me is I found a cute guy, mormon, similar interests, but he didn't think it would work out because he loves meat. :cry:

There is good news, okcupid is 100x better than datehookup, I have never actually had a real conversation on there 8O

I hate getting boring generic messeges like that.....and always quickly delete them.

morslilleole
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 2:30 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
chrissyrun wrote:

"Hey gorgeous"

"Wats up?"

"wanna have sex"

"what is lds"

I hate getting boring generic messeges like that.....and always quickly delete them.

I try to be original when I send messages on okc. I don't think I've ever sent a generic message like that. Usually I write about something from their profile. But still I rarely get replies.

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 2:42 pm

if you are a guy, you get very few messages unless you are very attractive.

if you are a woman, you constantly get messages, but 70% or more are from losers.

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 3:10 pm

minervx wrote:
if you are a guy, you get very few messages unless you are very attractive.

if you are a woman, you constantly get messages, but 70% or more are from losers.

Based on their graphic of Message Success by Attractiveness, I think there is a 15% chance of me getting any replies. I believe I am among the orange guys.

I actually think I could pull a "charleybears" or "angelboyxxx" if I had a good camera. We have the same lips and cranium shape and I could probably do that with my hair if I knew how to. In angelboyxxx' case, we have even similar eyes.

Also, "thechocky" and the second and fourth staff guys look as good as the top two. I think women rate attractiveness based on something far more subtle. Whatever it is, it seems to show on photos.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 3:23 pm

OKCupid has just been a source of irritation for me. I'd delete my profile if I could remember my password. Instead, I've just stopped checking it.

I only ever get creepers messaging me. :?

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 3:36 pm

I wouldnt mind a creep message or two...

MinorAnnoyance
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jan 2012, 4:10 pm

morslilleole wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
chrissyrun wrote:

"Hey gorgeous"

"Wats up?"

"wanna have sex"

"what is lds"

I try to be original when I send messages on okc. I don't think I've ever sent a generic message like that. Usually I write about something from their profile. But still I rarely get replies.

And there is the symbiotic problem in online dating. People (men mostly) will send out spam to see where they get a response. So women get lot of messages that aren't worth responding to. Knowing this men are less likely to put a lot of work into a message knowing it might just get lost in the spam, and if they do they still might not get a response, so they end up being spammers too.

It's a self fulfilling prophecy.