Anyone else find themselves constantly quoting things?

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 4:22 pm

"A book must be an ice axe to break the sea frozen inside us."

winslow
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jan 2012, 4:29 pm

Half of my humor is movie quotes. There's a movie quote for every occasion. I have a few friends with whom we communicate in movie quotes as much as normal speak,

melvin-z
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jan 2012, 5:38 pm

'Life is a picnic on a precipice.'

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 6:07 pm

Sometimes I'll make a reference to a funny movie or show or whatever else, even if not a direct quote, and even if someone might not know where it comes from, they still seem to find most funny anyway, oddly enough.

I guess it's not exactly the same, but I find myself putting more thought into some quotes than I guess I should be. My favorite character from the TV show Lost, Locke, had a lot of ideas about philosophy I found interesting and "true" I suppose I would say. "Don't tell me what I can't do" seems to be a favorite among other fans, but there have been other things, maybe not even just quotes themselves, like the idea that he's not a cripple anymore, both literally as well as figuratively.

NiMing
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Jan 2012, 9:20 pm

Always.

And they are always from obscure songs/video games/television shows that nobody else knows about.

I quote them anyway, like an inside joke that only I can understand. Teehee. :twisted:

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

04 Jan 2012, 11:05 pm

Moog wrote:
"A book must be an ice axe to break the sea frozen inside us."

I don't think I'll be able to read another book for at least a few weeks thanks to this nightmarish image.

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 4:50 am

yes but for some reason i get weird looks for saying things like "thanks for the lentils. i have to go home now and rethink my priorities." while im at it "so long and thanks for all the fish" because my sister wants me to drop her off at the shops. but "i'll be back"

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 7:53 am

I used to recite quotes/scenes of dialogue from my special interest movies and TV shows ALL the time when I was by myself and bored. A typical occurrence for me was walking to class in college and reciting one of my favorite scenes from A Beautiful Mind. I definitely think the quoting had an OCD component to it rather than just an AS stimming/special interest component to it. The reason I say this is because my need to quote (both mentally and aloud) has vastly decreased since I started my OCD miracle drug, Anafranil. For me, the quotes/scenes would randomly pop into my head, much like obsessional thoughts, and it was sort of a compulsion to have to do the quotes/scenes in full and recite them with perfect intonation. Now, I really only get quotes/scenes in my head if I'm thinking about a movie/TV show specifically. It's much more under my control.

And because I feel like representing my user name... :lol:

Alicia: (looks up at the stars) I once tried to count them all. I actually made it to 4,348.
Nash: You are exceptionally odd.
Alicia: I'll bet you're very popular with the girls.
Nash: A pair of odd ducks, then...

Nash: Is there a difference?

Georgy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jan 2012, 9:51 am

"There is nothing to fear except fear itself," Calvin said. "I'm quoting. Like Mrs. Who."

Especially in unfamiliar situations I speak almost entirely in quotes and references.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 9:59 am

melvin-z wrote:
'Life is a picnic on a precipice.'

Like it

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 11:31 am

Not constantly, but I do seem to resort to quoting in order to appear objective and outside an argument.....that way, they aren't my words, I'm just stating a fact (that somebody said something). It doesn't seem to fool anybody though. They seem to know that I wouldn't be telling them the quote if I didn't wish to nudge them in its direction. But it makes me feel a little safer anyway.

AlienRed
Raven
Raven

06 Jan 2012, 11:32 am

Yep, I quote a lot