Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2012, 7:42 am

^ Good. Lithium has been shown to help prevent degeneration in the brain seen in non-medicated bipolar patients. It also seems to prevent suicide.

Nash: Is there a difference?

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2012, 11:30 am

OddDuckNash99 wrote:
Lithium has been shown to help prevent degeneration in the brain seen in non-medicated bipolar patients. It also seems to prevent suicide.

How were they given Lithium, if they weren't medicated?

Circle989898
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2012, 3:19 pm

OddDuckNash99 wrote:
^ Good. Lithium has been shown to help prevent degeneration in the brain seen in non-medicated bipolar patients. It also seems to prevent suicide.

I hope I'm getting the different neurotransmitter wiring. I need it bad. Well atleast before I'm 25, then no more development. Long 4 years of no work that would help with the plasticity of my brain.

awriterswindow
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jan 2012, 7:50 pm

I was on 5mg of Abilify at one point to help me with some hallucinations I was having. It made me hungrier than I have ever felt in my life...but at the same time it did help with the hallucinations and after a short time they did go away.

themanfromacme
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jan 2012, 10:51 pm

Regular Seroquel: really bad sinus problems.

Seroquel XR: diet problems - I can eat what I like, but am restricted on when I can eat it. Occasional small full-body twitches when trying to sleep.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 4:25 pm

Bun wrote:
Hate Risperidone, it never did me any good. I was still feeling like myself on Zyprexa, but I couldn't concentrate on matters which required insight.

Quitting Risperidone causes serious insomnia, I have experienced it yesterday and the day before, gah I hate that drug, indeed causes more harm than good.

Circle989898
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 5:23 pm

Uprising wrote:
Bun wrote:
Hate Risperidone, it never did me any good. I was still feeling like myself on Zyprexa, but I couldn't concentrate on matters which required insight.

Quitting Risperidone causes serious insomnia, I have experienced it yesterday and the day before, gah I hate that drug, indeed causes more harm than good.

I went to my nurse practicioner and she prescribed me cogentin to deal with those side effects:Restlessness. Lorazepam also helps with restless legs and with sleep.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 5:43 pm

Uprising wrote:
Bun wrote:

Not here, ever since I took it, I need to sleep or I get really f****d up and depressed by a certain hour. It never happened to me before Risperidone. I had a huge depressive episode on it, it affected me that badly, and I had to really fight because I wanted to be off it so badly.

Venerab1e1
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jan 2012, 1:02 am

NeXus_Blueliner wrote:
I don't really want to go into detail about what has been said between my doctor and me. I was just wondering what peoples experiences were/are on various antipsychotics. Have they helped at all? Or do you suffer bad side effects from them?

I know every person is different when it comes to medication, I'm just curious at what will maybe become a more typical effect among people.

Abilify gave me minor hand tremors sometimes but nothing too serious. Geodon made me extremely hungry all the time. I've been on Haloperidol since last April and haven't noticed any side effects yet.

kaiouti
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jan 2012, 4:36 am

Circle989898 wrote:
Respirdone, I had tremors, Tardive dyskinesia, dystonia (rigidity) and difficulty breathing and Parkinsonism. They prescribed me Cogentin to take care of that. It worked. I'm sure I would react differently if I wasn't such a fool. It probably works better on people who were or are already smart.

I had mostly the same situation, exceptit was a different antipsychotic (I think abilify or sodium valproate or something else maybe) I was extremely unsatified with
the supposed "good" effects of the medication and my time was spent suffering the parkinsonian shakes, the bad vision, the unsteadiness and extreme nervousness and anxiety...I fixed the problem by goiing cold turkey on meds and refusing to comprimise with any others to this day and continuingm as they continue to be fvkkin salesmen about it and try to make you "reconsider" or VERY annoyingly bring it up and most if not all the end their help after failing to get me on meds, their service ends at medication and only on special and lucky cases do you find an honest Doctor
who will respect you saying NO to it.....and its rare unless you of course are on meds they tell you about other services they provide like Youth/Activty Groups and who knows what else.

kaiouti
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jan 2012, 8:46 am

OddDuckNash99 wrote:
catlady2323 wrote:
nick007 wrote:
Psych meds can NOT rewire the brain

Good point !

Not true. There is much evidence that different psychiatric medications change the amount of different neurotransmitter receptors in the brain, which affects the synaptic connections and amount of impulses sent, and lithium has been shown many, many times to have neuroprotective effects in bipolar users due to its second messenger signaling capabilities.

Your forgetting the placebo effect, where a suger tab that does nothing still gets the patient himself/herself to "rewire" their brain

what I mean is that even WITH a non placebo, meaning the real deal medication, I STRONGLY believe
the success with it helping you positively relies on your mental state and your own belief it will work etc;

I believe the mindstate is what has dominance in rewiring the brain, of course their is circumstances but I believe more commonly

slovaksiren
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 12:01 am

Risperidone made me gain ten pounds. Fortunately, I lost it all once I got off it.

wolf_scot
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jan 2012, 8:46 pm

themanfromacme wrote:
Regular Seroquel: really bad sinus problems.

Seroquel XR: diet problems - I can eat what I like, but am restricted on when I can eat it. Occasional small full-body twitches when trying to sleep.

Figured i can comment on this :D

Reg: Started at 50mg didnt do much
XR: Started at 200mg, comatoses me in approx one hour, quietens my mind during the day but causes stomach issues and drowsiness for approx 14hrs after taken, full body twitching
Doc put me on 100mg, went into a3 month psychosis (mania)

back on 200 now, hate it

Bipolar T1