Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jan 2012, 10:03 am

Idk... I drink a awful lot of milk, and take a multi-vitimin, d3, b-12 and a calcium pill every day, and I felt "worse" and could concentrate "less" than I do now, when I just take the b-12, d3 and milk whenever we have it (which is seldom)

I really do not think you can go and blame ADHD on lack of calcium any more than you can blame High-fructose Corn Syrup, or lack of copper for the emergence of ASD in children... nor do I believe you can blame smoking for late onset schizophrenia.

That's just me. If calcium really was this huge issue with ADHD, than we should be able to cure it by just drinking a lot of milk...

AQ: 36

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

09 Jan 2012, 10:08 am

Well, said poster thinks that ADHD is simply a matter of behavioral problems and refers to stimulant medications as a "quick fix." Neither of these things is true and said poster clearly has an agenda.

iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jan 2012, 10:16 am

Verdandi wrote:
Well, said poster thinks that ADHD is simply a matter of behavioral problems and refers to stimulant medications as a "quick fix." Neither of these things is true and said poster clearly has an agenda.

Saying that this is his first post, I can see a huge agenda.

AQ: 36

Animal_care
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jan 2012, 11:10 am

I can understand that you may think I have an agenda. I simply study the science and thought I would share my findings. Although milk is a form of calcium, it is not "high" in calcium. You also get different types of calcium i.e carbonates, oxides... I would imagine that many of you take a calcium carbonate tablet? Your body is not very good at absorbing calcium carbonate and is a waste of money (you're better off with a chelate - just a tip). You will also need a good vitamin D2 or 3 supplement to help absorb calcium. We've found a chelated calcium works best because it is more easily absorbed into the body.

Like all supplements, It is of course, only effective if you are calcium deficient, however, modern diets would lead us to conclude that many are nutritional deficient. In fact, 52 % of children tested with ADHD were found to be calcium deficient (we just connect the dots!). Many suffering with ADHD also suffer from allergies (especially food). It is very unlikely that drinking milk would make you feel terrible unless you have a food allergy or intolerance. again, you would need more calcium in your diet, not just milk. I can also appreciate that there are varying degrees of ADHD and that calcium is not the one "fix" for the problems but I am convinced it can help.

If you're looking for scientific answers then I hope my one can help. If not, I hope you find something else that will. My feeling are, if we don't discuss these things and share what's worked for others, we will never try new things or learn.

Good luck.

Animal_care
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jan 2012, 11:18 am

I'd just like to add that we are the ONLY company we know of making the/any connection between animals and ADHD and I feel that that is quite ground breaking stuff :) We want to help change science and help animals overcome problems that are all too readily over looked. In fact, we would love to hear some of your real life experiences and to understand what has helped you and if indeed we can help? Perhaps some of you would be interested in taking part in our trials?

We are all learning here and you could be a big part of making people more aware of ADD/ADHD in animals.

Thanks

ral31
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jan 2012, 11:44 am

I'd hesitate to diagnose him with anything but I have a flame point persian with a few issues.
I got him from a rescue center and he was a bit traumatized so it might be something like PTSD.

When the phone rings he meows loudly, goes in the bedroom, gets one of my dirty socks, drags it in to where I'm at and starts kneading on it. If it's a long conversation there will be a pile of socks in the living room by the time I get off the phone.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 5:15 pm

ral31 wrote:
I'd hesitate to diagnose him with anything but I have a flame point persian with a few issues.
I got him from a rescue center and he was a bit traumatized so it might be something like PTSD.

When the phone rings he meows loudly, goes in the bedroom, gets one of my dirty socks, drags it in to where I'm at and starts kneading on it. If it's a long conversation there will be a pile of socks in the living room by the time I get off the phone.

tell him to take two aspirins and to call me in the morning

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 5:16 am

Pesticide residues, pet genetics and lifestyles, I mean they are eating dorrito's and on the couch and in front of the TV eh?

And because of shorter gestation periods, many more generations than humans no?

ral31
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jan 2012, 9:10 am

I think those things have an effect, especially on purebreds. I've had persians before though and they didn't have any issues. I think this guy was probably pampered as a kitten and then something happened where he ended up a stray. The harsh reality of the world set in. Who knows why he doesn't like the phone, different ring tones don't change his behavior.

Anyway, I can put up with it because he's a good cat overall. He goes to work with me. My more normal tabby is way to skittish to do that.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 10:58 am

In all honesty, I think the only way a person can tell if an animal has a autism-like condition is if they show truely abnormal behaviors. I've only read one animal story ever on this site where I strongly suspected the animal had a form of autism, and that was a cat and that was over a year ago.

If I had to draw up diagnostic criteria, they would be almost identical with the human criteria:

Does the animal display abnormal behaviors that have been present from very young? (This would exclude an adult getting a head injury or virus that creates off behavior.)

Does the animal display odd stereotopies (such as repeating a certain behavior over and over and over, for no known reason, and not caused out of mental deprivation or pain.)

Does the animal fail to display normal species-specific social regulatory behaviors or even ignore's another of it's kind (or a human) completely? Is he/she often attacked or shunned?

Does the animal react abnormally to environmental stimuli, either by engaging in a stereotopy or becoming abnormally transfixed?

Once engaged a stereotopy or by a certain stimuli, does the animal act abnormally aggressive if they are prevented from reingaging in that behavior?

This is by no means perfect, but I drew it up from what I remember the human diagnostic, plus I removed the parts that animals wouldn't be able to do anyway such as speaking. I also emphisized the stereotopies and abnormal behavior parts more because most times animals will act shy, and many breeds of dogs have some of their social regulatory behaviors bred out. Also arranging of objects might be a form of nesting behavior in species that normally do nesting. However it isn't normal to see a cat jumping back and forth for hours on end and most social species will not find an inanimate object more fascinating then their own kind. Also most of these would have tp be present from a very young age, as it would remove any likelihood of it being a 'copycat' behavior caused by deprivation or disease. 8)

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 2:15 pm

Are these castrated pets mainly?

Why dont they just eat their kibble and sleep on the sofa 23 hours a day like they are supposed too??

oh wait......