Do women ''have to'' pluck their eyebrows?

Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 10:00 am

You don't have to pluck them. Of course not. But if you have a unibrow, or your eyebrows are out of hand, I would suggest plucking them.

I pluck mine, and yes it does hurt, but it only hurts for a minute or two, and that's much better for me than to worry about the stray hairs anytime I go out.

Have you looked into electrolysis? It's permenant removal of the stray hairs. I would only suggest that you have the hairs in between your brows removed and if they are very thick, then I would say to thin them, but don't go too thin with them. You could always pluck them thinner later and let those hairs grow back if you wanted them thicker.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Lazoriss
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jan 2012, 1:10 pm

I personally don't really notice eyebrows unless they're SUPER bushy... or the person has a unibrow.
Unless you have some uber crazy brows I wouldn't really worry about it. I only pluck the ones that grow way outside the rest of my eyebrow hairs, like closer to the lid or something.
If you decide to keep plucking, I'd suggest taking a warm shower right before hand. it open the pores and I think it should make plucking less uncomfortable. :)

dreamy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jan 2012, 2:44 am

Depends on how they look naturally. I think it does look bad too bushy.

I saw some alternatives mentioned above, but if it was not mentioned:

I sometimes trim off a lot of the hair, just cutting them very short, I don't have much to start with, so it works. It needs doing more frequently since I'm not plucking which gets way down to the root.

Then you can put makeup over the remainder, or some women would put makeup over part without needing to trim. This is mostly for lighter sparser hairs or the edges.

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jan 2012, 7:08 am

It's socially expected but you don't have to. I didn't even know that real women (not celebrities) did that until I was 17 and surrounded by girls at a party of my sisters. Someone was looking at a magazine and mentioned something about tweezing. I stupidly said "you tweeze your eyebrows?". All of them looked at my thick bushy eyebrows and giggled. Then I started tweezing. My mother is older and pretty much against excessive grooming (plus believes old wive's tales like if yo don't shave your legs the hair won't grow, rolls eyes) so I didn't learn from her. Now I have a tendency to over pluck my eyebrows a tiny bit. I still hate seeing high school photos of me with thick eyebrows.

I was also mercilessly teased by a bunch of strangers my age when I was about 11 or 12 and hadn't started shaving yet. They made a bunch of taunts about my hairy legs. (they weren't even that hairy). Plus they threw things at me.

P.S. I am in the US.

melmaclorelai
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jan 2012, 8:41 am

I certainly don't think anybody "has to" do anything regarding their appearance. If they want to, that's another matter. I don't do a lot of things, that society says I should do.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 4:09 pm

I think you're far more likely to be ridiculed if you don't shave your legs or armpits. Men can get away with this and it's not fair, and as far as I'm concerned, there's no difference.

I've plucked my eyebrows since I was 12, since I was ridiculed for it back then as I had bushy eyebrows. You'd think other 11 year olds wouldn't care about eyebrows.

justalouise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jan 2012, 12:18 am

Joe90 wrote:
I know what other women are like, they start talking about you if you don't obey their ridiculous little rules you have to follow with your physical appearance.

Don't hang out with those women. They suck.

heatherbk
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Feb 2012, 10:16 pm

Don't pluck. Skin around your eyes are very sensitive. Try threading or buy an eyebrow razor instead.

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 11:02 am

No one "has" to pluck their eyebrows. But if I don't then I begin to resemble Bert from Sesame Street. Mine become a huge unibrow. And I hate waxing them because it hurts so much. I have found that plucking each individual hair causes much less pain, the area sort of numbs up after the first few. Plus I can do it myself and it is more cost effective. I do have a little tool made just for brows, a little shaving tool for when I am in a hurry. It is easy and painless but has to be redone more often. I use this when I am on vacation or in a hurry.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

03 Feb 2012, 10:09 pm

I have thick eye brows, but usually well shaped ones. I do like to get them waxed for special occasions, just to get ill-behaved stray hairs, not a major shape make-over, but I hate plucking and think that plucking them out one by one with tweezers is a socially acceptable form of self abuse. Although waxing hurts too, but if you get good quality wax, you only have to do it once for each brow...cheap wax is just torture.
It would be too easy to just shave them, but I heard the hairs grow back in the opposite dirrection, which has been proven to be true after the 80's fad of shaving 2 vertical lines in the eyebrows...well when it grew back for, those who did it, they had bushy eyebrows when before they didn't.

But to answer your question...since you have a unibrow...that will draw ridicule in some circles, but you dont need to go all out and get a pencil thin line, just keep the brows seperate and clean up stray hairs. I recomend that you get them waxed though cuz plucking is just self abuse.

Jojo

Zhane
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Feb 2012, 12:05 am

My eye brows are naturally arched, but I still do when I am in the mood

Briana_Lopez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Feb 2012, 12:31 am

As much as I hate it, I've been plucking since I was about 12 or 13, when my eyebrows were getting noticably bushy. If I had the option to, I'd have my eyebrows waxed every time they were due for shaping up and trimming. But since that's $8 a person, I only get a waxing as a treat

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 4:47 am

I've never plucked my eyebrows, never felt a need to, and never had anyone suggest that I should.

169Kitty
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Feb 2012, 5:57 am

I've had mine waxed a few times but I really don't care. I don't think my eyebrows are too thick and I don't have a unibrow. Sometimes I'll use the little eyebrow razors if I'm doing something like an interview. If people don't like it it's their problem, not mine.

NT score: 51 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

AndromedaEserith
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Feb 2012, 12:25 pm

It's not that necessary to pluck your eyebrows. Unibrow does not look that good, but you don't have to pluck them perfectly. Especially if its a painful thing to do. If people get judged by how thick or thin their eyebrows are the world is crazier than i thought.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2012, 3:37 am

How uni is a unibrow? I think that I may have one of these, but it has never seemed very obvious to me. There are hairs bridging the eyebrow gap, but they are not as thick as the eyebrows. I wonder if I should pluck them. I enjoy plucking hairs, but I dont really want to pluck my unibrow.