Post an Anonymous Message to the Future

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 11:54 pm

A thread devoted to messages that you would want read 1, 10, 100, or 1000 years from now, or any future date of your choosing.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 12:02 am

Just let me be myself and listen to The Kinks, you damn future!

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 12:23 am

Tea was here

Trigas
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 1:14 am

You shouldn't have wasted so much time. Nevertheless you've found your way somehow.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 2:08 am

Still waiting for the mothership to come and take me home.

D

Post-date this to twelve zillion + AD.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 2:30 am

sorry guy, but if you've found this note, it means i am long gone, and even if i were there with you i would totally lack the contemporary currency with which to be an especially entertaining new acquaintance for you to chat with, and i'd have no answers for you or anybody else living in your time who are beset with contemporary problems. you're living in future times which i am totally clueless about, and so you'll need to find your own unique answers to the unique problems of your time. but this one thing is timeless, and it is to honor the golden rule, "do onto others what you would want done to yourself, or to desist from doing to another what you would not have done to yourself." it can't get any more basic than that. live well. accentuate the positive. there is nothing you can hide forever. there are more things in heaven and earth, than are dreamt-of in your philosophy, no matter what year you live in. there is nothing new under your sun, just the same old stuff occasionally rediscovered and trumpeted about as something truly novel. you're as unique as the next person, so with this in mind, concentrate on what you have in common with your fellows. you're still all in this thing together, whether or not you choose to acknowledge this fact.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 8:12 am

If you've got rid of all natural landscapes I will not be pleased.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 8:19 am

I want to ride in a spaceship!

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 8:25 am

I told you that you would survive D***it! And you questioned me? HA!

(luckily if I am right, then I would be able to read the message, however if I was wrong I wouldn't be around to read my lies)

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 9:36 am

Dear future,

I don't like you. Stay out of my life.

I wish time didn't move, and I could do whatever I bloody want.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 9:39 am

You're never going to get here, are you? I've been waiting for you for 37 years. Where are you?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 11:02 am

Dear Future,

We tried. We really did - some of us, anyway. Look what we had to work with; a balkanized world, governed by those whose only interest was in serving themselves; an energy grid powered by non-renewable fossil fuels (do you still have these?); a global information network full of invalid claims or semi-redacted misinformation; an uneven distribution of natural resources; and faith-based institutions competing for the minds of the children through philosophical rhetoric, political campaigns, and religious propaganda.

Yet some of us were able to see the world for what it was: A single, closed environment with potential for greatness, infected with a viral life-form which was Humanity itself. We were our own worst enemy. But as one of our writers once wrote:

Charlton Ogburn, Jr. wrote:
"We trained hard ... but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization"

Some have attributed the aforementioned quote to Gaius Petronius Arbiter, when if fact it comes from a magazine article Mr. Ogburn wrote for Harper's Magazine in 1957 about his time with Merrill's Marauders - but you know that already. Still, this simple quote describes our current situation precisely. Those of us who knew what was going on tried to organize resistance, but we were constantly bombarded with distractions and calls to factionalism until each of us became socially isolated by every little interest that defined us, and then we were taught that it was our differences that were more important than any commonality, whether real or conceptualized.

Self-esteem was promoted over achievement. Our most potentially brilliant minds were held back with the slow learners so that success would not bring shame to failure.

Emotion was promoted over intellect. It mattered not whether a person could solve the world's problems; it mattered only that each person's emotions were given ample theatre to vent and be applauded.

Entitlement was valued more than effort, and fairness was valued more than justice. This meant that it did not matter whether or not a person had striven to earn his or her accolades, credentials, and possessions; it mattered only that those who did nothing were believed to have been treated "unfairly" simply because they had none of the things that that person who had earned what he or she had.

We have no orbital colonies and no space travel; we have rampant war, disease, and starvation; we have clashes over unprovable and irrelevant beliefs; and after 12,000 years of cultural evolution (since the most recent Ice Age), this is all that humanity has accomplished.

In short, Dear Future, we who had insight into the affairs of our present time - your past - were too few, too powerless, and too widely scattered geographically to make a difference. We were mere dust-motes caught up in the avalanche of events leading us all downhill to the situation you find yourself in now. Please understand that some of us tried to make a difference, we really did; but we failed, and we're sorry.

We wish you well,

The Past

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 3:25 pm

Dear Future,

I bet as you are reading, and watching the " End Times " come to fruition. I've landed safely on the planet Mars. How you may be asking? It's simple while I was waiting for Doomsday. I built a time machine, and got out before anything bad happened to me. I knew that if I stayed... * I'm sorry I just douldn't do that with a straight face * Ha! You totally believed me didn't you? On a more serious note, what took you so long? Do you know how much anxiety you could've prevented to me? If only you could show up already! Here I was waiting for something to happen, only to be dissapointed so many times.

Well, I hope you have fun wherever you are. Because if we do meet...

|
|
|
|
|
\/

* Sucker Punch *

Warm Regards,
The Past.

sluice
Veteran
Veteran