13 year old Wyoming Aspie commits suicide

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 8:41 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
XLCR wrote:
The Cheyenne Tribune ran an article today detailing the life of a boy named Alex Frye who shot himself in the head on New Year's Day. The shocking thing is the article never mentions Asperger's and his parents were apparently clueless both about his condition and the depression he was suffering from because of constant bullying. But when they described his life and what he was like a crowd of red flags popped up for me. I felt like screaming, why wasn't this boy ever diagnosed? He should have had at least a full time counselor at that school, not to mention at least a little attention from his parents. Where was everyone?

Kinda reminds me of when I tried to kill myself......except the bullying and ostracism was not quite as bad that year, but yeah I knew there was something wrong with me since I was 7 as did some teachers and probably even family members but all my family members including me have problems with denying things. I still have not been offically diagnosed with anything other than depression though, its pretty easy to slip through the cracks when no one really gives a damn and the people that do don't really understand.

Similar thing almost happened to me too and when I even tried to reach out to professionals and hotlines for help, my parents put a stop to it when they found out and threatened me to never talk about suicide again. No discussion of my problems or anything like that, just a "I don't want to hear anything like that from you ever again". I will never forgive my parents for this not just because of how cruel and thoughtless it was, but because it might've been a huge missed opportunity for me to get my Asperger's diagnosis years sooner. No one in my family had even heard of the condition until I was tested for it. If I had met with one of those counselors in person, maybe they would've seen the signs of my person that not even my high school counselor could've picked up right away.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 1:26 am

raisedbyignorance wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
XLCR wrote:
The Cheyenne Tribune ran an article today detailing the life of a boy named Alex Frye who shot himself in the head on New Year's Day. The shocking thing is the article never mentions Asperger's and his parents were apparently clueless both about his condition and the depression he was suffering from because of constant bullying. But when they described his life and what he was like a crowd of red flags popped up for me. I felt like screaming, why wasn't this boy ever diagnosed? He should have had at least a full time counselor at that school, not to mention at least a little attention from his parents. Where was everyone?

Kinda reminds me of when I tried to kill myself......except the bullying and ostracism was not quite as bad that year, but yeah I knew there was something wrong with me since I was 7 as did some teachers and probably even family members but all my family members including me have problems with denying things. I still have not been offically diagnosed with anything other than depression though, its pretty easy to slip through the cracks when no one really gives a damn and the people that do don't really understand.

Similar thing almost happened to me too and when I even tried to reach out to professionals and hotlines for help, my parents put a stop to it when they found out and threatened me to never talk about suicide again. No discussion of my problems or anything like that, just a "I don't want to hear anything like that from you ever again". I will never forgive my parents for this not just because of how cruel and thoughtless it was, but because it might've been a huge missed opportunity for me to get my Asperger's diagnosis years sooner. No one in my family had even heard of the condition until I was tested for it. If I had met with one of those counselors in person, maybe they would've seen the signs of my person that not even my high school counselor could've picked up right away.

I don't think I forgive your parents, either, and I don't even know them!

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 9:21 pm

Good Lord! What a bunch of f**ktards y'all have had to deal with!

I am sooooo lucky. I should quit my bitching. My life could have been so much worse.

And I still look at myself vis a vis society and can actually remember the reasoning of thinking it would be best for me to die...

RIP, kid. I hope the next world is more AS friendly.