13 year old Wyoming Aspie commits suicide

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

XLCR
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jan 2012, 1:17 am

The Cheyenne Tribune ran an article today detailing the life of a boy named Alex Frye who shot himself in the head on New Year's Day. The shocking thing is the article never mentions Asperger's and his parents were apparently clueless both about his condition and the depression he was suffering from because of constant bullying. But when they described his life and what he was like a crowd of red flags popped up for me. I felt like screaming, why wasn't this boy ever diagnosed? He should have had at least a full time counselor at that school, not to mention at least a little attention from his parents. Where was everyone?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 3:03 am

there are lots of parents who have no business being parents, IMHO. how many damaged adults were the children of clueless parents? how many of those damaged adults become clueless parents themselves?

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 3:31 am

how many parents weren't Dx'ed either………….

as the saying goes… most parents inherit their ASD from their children.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 3:32 am

RIP alex fry.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 4:11 am

XLCR wrote:
The Cheyenne Tribune ran an article today detailing the life of a boy named Alex Frye who shot himself in the head on New Year's Day. The shocking thing is the article never mentions Asperger's and his parents were apparently clueless both about his condition and the depression he was suffering from because of constant bullying. But when they described his life and what he was like a crowd of red flags popped up for me. I felt like screaming, why wasn't this boy ever diagnosed? He should have had at least a full time counselor at that school, not to mention at least a little attention from his parents. Where was everyone?

Kinda reminds me of when I tried to kill myself......except the bullying and ostracism was not quite as bad that year, but yeah I knew there was something wrong with me since I was 7 as did some teachers and probably even family members but all my family members including me have problems with denying things. I still have not been offically diagnosed with anything other than depression though, its pretty easy to slip through the cracks when no one really gives a damn and the people that do don't really understand.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 5:37 am

That reminds me of when I was 14 years old and I was drinking things in the washroom that aren't meant for people to drink because of some stuff that was going on at school and that feeling I had that my parents and family hated me.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 6:17 am

auntblabby wrote:
there are lots of parents who have no business being parents, IMHO. how many damaged adults were the children of clueless parents? how many of those damaged adults become clueless parents themselves?

Back when I was a kid, I got misdiagnosed with ADHD, because no one in America knew what the hell Asperger's was yet. Of course medicating me for hyperactivity hadn't done any good, as that wasn't my problem. My parents tried, but they just couldn't grasp something that my pediatrician and the really assholish school psychiatrist hadn't even understood. I had endured years of misery at the hands of my peers who had regarded me as ret*d (even though I was usually the smartest kid in class), because no one had understood what had been going on with me.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 3:04 pm

How did a 13 year old get a gun, and why no questions about that?

XLCR
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jan 2012, 10:01 pm

Ummm..........We are talking about Wyoming here. There are guns in every pickup parked on the street, they start their kids shooting in early grade school there. If his father didn't have guns then surely some of the neighbors did.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 12:39 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Back when I was a kid, I got misdiagnosed with ADHD, because no one in America knew what the hell Asperger's was yet. Of course medicating me for hyperactivity hadn't done any good, as that wasn't my problem. My parents tried, but they just couldn't grasp something that my pediatrician and the really assholish school psychiatrist hadn't even understood. I had endured years of misery at the hands of my peers who had regarded me as ret*d (even though I was usually the smartest kid in class), because no one had understood what had been going on with me.

my problem was that i was considered borderline mentally ret*d [in addition to having attention deficit, avoidant personality disorder, schizoid/schizotypal [one shrink said one, another shrink said another] personality disorder, tourettes-like tics, and a hatful of other things. one shrink said i was "borderline autistic," decades before AS was known about. so i was stunted by being put in "special ed" [back then all too often a dumping ground for kids they didn't know what to do with] along with kids who were in much worse shape than me, who deserved better than what they got, which was mainly lots of punishment including denial of lunchbreaks [we didn't get to eat all damned day!] paddlings, confinement to dark broomclosets, etc. i remember feeling like a reject, a defective, especially when i saw the rest of my normal and gifted class go on field trips, etc. i wasn't yet beaten down enough to have thought about suicide yet, though.

Genesis
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jan 2012, 12:41 am

Marcia wrote:
How did a 13 year old get a gun, and why no questions about that?

I've been wondering the samething...

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 12:51 am

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

my problem was that i was considered borderline mentally ret*d [in addition to having attention deficit, avoidant personality disorder, schizoid/schizotypal [one shrink said one, another shrink said another] personality disorder, tourettes-like tics, and a hatful of other things. one shrink said i was "borderline autistic," decades before AS was known about. so i was stunted by being put in "special ed" [back then all too often a dumping ground for kids they didn't know what to do with] along with kids who were in much worse shape than me, who deserved better than what they got, which was mainly lots of punishment including denial of lunchbreaks [we didn't get to eat all damned day!] paddlings, confinement to dark broomclosets, etc. i remember feeling like a reject, a defective, especially when i saw the rest of my normal and gifted class go on field trips, etc. i wasn't yet beaten down enough to have thought about suicide yet, though.

My God - - and I thought I had it bad! I dare say, you've heroically persevered in adult life.
Believe me, my daughter's special ed class is nothing even close to the nightmare you had endured.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 1:04 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
My God - - and I thought I had it bad! I dare say, you've heroically persevered in adult life. Believe me, my daughter's special ed class is nothing even close to the nightmare you had endured.

the special ed classes of today are really special ed, not like when i was a kid. my sister is a special ed teacher, i can see how much better it is nowadays. and thank you for believing that i persevered but in actuality i just retreated from the world, to a much more congenial private world. 8)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 1:40 am

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
My God - - and I thought I had it bad! I dare say, you've heroically persevered in adult life. Believe me, my daughter's special ed class is nothing even close to the nightmare you had endured.

the special ed classes of today are really special ed, not like when i was a kid. my sister is a special ed teacher, i can see how much better it is nowadays. and thank you for believing that i persevered but in actuality i just retreated from the world, to a much more congenial private world. 8)

I don't think you give yourself enough credit. 8)
And I wish I had had the special ed in my day that my daughter now has. A big part of the success of my daughter's program lies in the fact that bullying is no longer tolerated as in my day among the main stream classmates. In fact, I've been told by her teachers at a parent/teacher conference that she has many friends, and is even very popular.
Imagine, a kid with autism popular!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 1:56 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

am still coming to terms with how i am and how my life has turned out. it is a work in progress.

Kraichgauer wrote:
And I wish I had had the special ed in my day that my daughter now has. A big part of the success of my daughter's program lies in the fact that bullying is no longer tolerated as in my day among the main stream classmates. In fact, I've been told by her teachers at a parent/teacher conference that she has many friends, and is even very popular.

let us hope and pray, that a critical mass of caring voters insures that your children will continue to have a better life than what we were able to have for ourselves, and that the forces of good will continue to outmuster the forces of moral atavism. :idea:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 2:00 am

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

am still coming to terms with how i am and how my life has turned out. it is a work in progress.

Kraichgauer wrote:

let us hope and pray, that a critical mass of caring voters insures that your children will continue to have a better life than what we were able to have for ourselves, and that the forces of good will continue to outmuster the forces of moral atavism. :idea:

8)