Hello, I'm new here~ - The teenage Aspie

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

AWESOMENESSFTW4444
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jan 2012, 4:37 am

I'm not exactly sure if it would be right to post my real name just yet... I do on some sites, but others I prefer letting other people getting to know me better first.

I'm a 16 year old girl, sophomore in high school, and I only seem 'normal'. Lots of the other kids around me often think that I'm just an extremely nice, shy, smart, clumsy, artistic, slightly nerdy, and appearently cute girl. I'm just referring to what I know is their opinions though, for I have a close friend who constantly tells me everything the other kids say. I never asked her to do so, but I guess she's aware that I can have a low self-esteem at times, and likes to tell me all the good things she's aware of. But I'm getting off topic. I only look 'normal' to others. And a lot of people here are probably going to ask me "What is 'normal'?" or "There's really no such thing as being 'normal'." or anything of that kind. From my perspective, it's a whole lot more.

I was diagnosed with a case of VERY high-functioning Aspergers around the time I was in the 4th, 5th, or 6th grade. The reason why I sound unsure of the exact time is because my mom and step-dad refused to tell me what exactly was 'wrong' with me and why I was being treated differently by teachers. It was only during a fight I had with mom in the 6th grade that I found this out. I reacted with anger at first, but got down to business and talked to my therapist about it almost a month later. Since then I have been trying to hide the fact I had ASD in public and research it more and more during my special ed classes and school, with trust-worthy adults, and in my own time at home. Even then I feel as if I don't know much about ASD, and that I only know myself as far as it goes. My opinion on others with ASD often reflects upon what I have observed from them.

Even though others often seem to feel relieved when I tell them that my case is very high-functioning and they wouldn't notice it, I do feel there are some things to worry about. To be honest, I don't actually even need my special ed classes at school, I just have one or two accommodations that makes me require them such as extra time on a test. But this also revolves around the fact that I have a very high-functioning case. I seem completely normal and able to function in all of my classes, but the fact I have ASD in the first place prevents me from having an average school-life because teachers are confused with my 'placement'.

But right now I kind of want to get a more cheerful perspective on this site. I don't really like reminding myself that I have ASD on a regular basis, mainly because I am constantly reminded of it during school. I guess this is the one big reason why I don't like high school, I was never reminded of my 'disability' so much back in middle school.

The best way I like getting to know other people, or having them get to know me would be talking about special talents. In my opinion, they're what makes a person unique and shapes up who they are. My talents are mostly anything artistic. The talent I am most known for is drawing. Artists run in my family; Great grandma was an artist, grandma, grandpa, and mom, those are the artists in my family that I know of so far, and that ability was passed down to me as well. I have been drawing more 'seriously' since I was 6 #scribbling when I was 3.# I guess drawing has become a life-long thing for me since then. Once mom noticed my talent, she started buying me more art supplies and as I got older, she got me involved in more art-based activities. And I loved that. I have become so passionate about drawing that I want to take up a career in illustrating or making comics. Since mom is a former artist, I'm aware that she is doing everything she can to make my dream come true, since she wasn't able to do that for herself after graduating high school. I'm also pretty good at singing, dancing #if I am given a good choreography to go by#, creative writing, and I am shown to have a pretty good potential with playing instruments #since my biological dad was a musician.#

Another talent of my comes from my love for anime and Manga. I LOVE cosplaying. Cosplaying is basically dressing up as an anime, video game, or cartoon character, but it's a much wider variety than that. There's also a bit of acting involved, which I' would consider myself good at, depending on who I cosplay as. I guess I'm talented at cosplaying because for an on-and-off tomboy, I LOVE dressing up. When I go to cosplay events #mainly parties that you cosplay at#, I am constantly given compliments such as "I love your outfit!" or "Nice cosplay!" I'm not so sure if I'm doing a good just on the costume as I dress up, I just want to get the costume as close to accurate as possible, and maybe my artistic abilities are added in as I dress up...? This is probably one of the things that I'm good at, yet I question why.

Anyway, I'm just putting it out there that I'm here. I LOVE making new friends and meeting new people, so feel free to comment, reply, message, or contact with me in any way, I don't bite!

I'll try to get more posts in soon, but right now it is 4:32 am, and I kinda want to sleep. XD

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 4:39 am

Hi, I'm 15 and diagnosed last summer.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 3:58 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Jan 2012, 3:45 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

Recycler
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Jan 2012, 4:00 pm

Welcome :)

AWESOMENESSFTW4444 wrote:
The best way I like getting to know other people, or having them get to know me would be talking about special talents. In my opinion, they're what makes a person unique and shapes up who they are.

Nicely said, fully agree :)

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

17 Jan 2012, 12:56 am

Hello. I'm a sophomore as well.

I found no use trying to hide my Aspergers from others, so I'm honest with them if they ask. Once I really started to identify myself like that, I started liking myself. Now here I am today. :)

If you need anyone to talk to, just PM me.

Until next time.

SnowWhite88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jan 2012, 2:39 pm

I really enjoyed reading your introduction, welcome! :D

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 12:19 am

Welkome to WP

MickImage

Toxicity
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jan 2012, 2:16 pm

Hi I'm 15, Welcome to the incorrect planet :D

doctissima
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Jan 2012, 5:59 pm

Welcome, I'm new here too and wondering if I also have high functioning Asperger's. Nice to meet you and hear your perspective about being in school!

justalouise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jan 2012, 6:56 pm

it's pretty cool to get to read about people in their teen years learning about this stuff and figuring it out. i'm 26 and had no idea about all this until the last year or so...school would have been SO different for me if i had! as it was, i just read books all the time and didn't pay attention in almost any of my classes, then i dropped out shortly after i turned 16.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 9:30 am

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 1:40 am

Welcome.

AliTatt
Raven
Raven

30 Jan 2012, 8:33 am

Cool to see a highschooler here :P If I had known when I was still in school, it probably would have helped me and my grades a lot xD As it is, I was completely oblivious of my condition and in denial of anything being wrong until I found out a lot of my boyfriend's family had been questioning if I had AS. I can tick off most of the symptoms to some degree (some of them to a painful degree -- I'm super-clumsy, took gymnastics as a kid so I can atleast walk a straight line).

Your Aspie score: 158 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 56 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

so_subtly_strange
Toucan
Toucan

18 Feb 2012, 1:25 am

justalouise wrote:
it's pretty cool to get to read about people in their teen years learning about this stuff and figuring it out. i'm 26 and had no idea about all this until the last year or so...school would have been SO different for me if i had! as it was, i just read books all the time and didn't pay attention in almost any of my classes, then i dropped out shortly after i turned 16.

sounds a lot like me. i did graduate though, barely. yes it would have been very nice to know at that time that there was a reason i was so different, and communicating with most people was like an invisible brick wall. however i suppose my history to an extent defines my identity, and i'm happy with who i am now, so i guess i wouldnt change anything in the past.