Being humiliated if you don't know about certain things like

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 2:40 pm

....drugs, alcohol, certain celebrities, and anything to do with sex. Has anyone here experiences this in your younger years?

I got humiliated a lot by teenagers at school because of not knowing about these sorts of things. A girl laughed at me because I didn't know what ''prostitute'' meant. All day she kept on and on at me giggling, ''you don't know what a prostitute is?'' and shaking her head in despair then acting like she was lost for words, then giggling again. The advice ''she's probably reacting like that because she doesn't know what it is herself'' doesn't work on me, because I asked if she knew what it meant and she told me what it was in every detail.

Also once when George Michael was on the telly and I called him Boy George, I got humiliated too. People went quiet and one of them mumbled, ''uh, no that isn't Boy George, mate, it's George Michael'', and everyone kind of went quiet and looked at eachother. God knows why it's so important to have to know about them two, but it is I suppose.

And then when I didn't know who Kate Moss was, my brother and his friends laughed. One of them asked me who she was, and my face went all red and I said, ''uhh....a singer?'' and they sniggered then my brother said, ''no, she's a model!'' And then they laughed.

Then the boys at school made fun of me for not knowing names of drugs. And when I asked how should I know, one of them just said, ''I don't know....people just know these things - it's general knowledge.''

Then you get NTs humiliating people who turn weird by doing these drugs or getting stupidly drunk or liking people like George Michael, even though you're still expected to know about it all. Can't make it out!! !! :roll:

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 2:48 pm

Yeah, that used to happen to me lots of times. But now I'm rather proud of myself whenever I don't know about something so moronic.

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jan 2012, 2:49 pm

Joe90 wrote:
....drugs, alcohol, certain celebrities, and anything to do with sex. Has anyone here experiences this in your younger years?

I got humiliated a lot by teenagers at school because of not knowing about these sorts of things. A girl laughed at me because I didn't know what ''prostitute'' meant. All day she kept on and on at me giggling, ''you don't know what a prostitute is?'' and shaking her head in despair then acting like she was lost for words, then giggling again. The advice ''she's probably reacting like that because she doesn't know what it is herself'' doesn't work on me, because I asked if she knew what it meant and she told me what it was in every detail.

Also once when George Michael was on the telly and I called him Boy George, I got humiliated too. People went quiet and one of them mumbled, ''uh, no that isn't Boy George, mate, it's George Michael'', and everyone kind of went quiet and looked at eachother. God knows why it's so important to have to know about them two, but it is I suppose.

And then when I didn't know who Kate Moss was, my brother and his friends laughed. One of them asked me who she was, and my face went all red and I said, ''uhh....a singer?'' and they sniggered then my brother said, ''no, she's a model!'' And then they laughed.

Then the boys at school made fun of me for not knowing names of drugs. And when I asked how should I know, one of them just said, ''I don't know....people just know these things - it's general knowledge.''

Then you get NTs humiliating people who turn weird by doing these drugs or getting stupidly drunk or liking people like George Michael, even though you're still expected to know about it all. Can't make it out!! !! :roll:

Joe, you don't deserve this kind of treatment. I happen to know who all those people are, but only because I'm a librarian and have to keep up with the popular culture.

Some years back in the US there was a cartoon called Beavis and Butthead. Are you familiar with it? If so, it's about two kids whose parents are never around, and the only guidance in life they have is the popular culture. I'm glad you're not like that.

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 2:51 pm

The details are unimportant. The mistake you make irrelevant.

This is all to do with the NT preoccupation with status and nothing else. By laughing at you they feel they have lowered your status and thereby (relatively) enhanced their own. It's all very sad don't you think?

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 2:52 pm

"YOU DONT KNOW WHAT MASTURBATION MEANS??? YOU HAVE NEVER MASTURBATED???"

Yup, had that happen to me, the shame turned me into a cancer patient. (figuratively speaking)

169Kitty
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jan 2012, 2:54 pm

I'm pretty naive when it comes to things like drugs and alcohol. If I read or hear some terms I don't know I do a Google search for it. Urbandictionary.com is a good source too for figuring out what slang or street words mean.

NT score: 51 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 2:55 pm

Where I live (rural southern US) a lot of people are ignorant of popular culture. I would be more likely to get into the opposite situation (mention something they don't know about and get strange looks and "who the hell is that?") I think it depends a lot on where you live.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 2:57 pm

I don't get humiliated if I know something what I'm ''supposed to know'' but have a different opinion on it. For example, I said to my brother, ''I prefered Michael Jackson when he had long hair'', and my brother just said, ''yeah, but that's before he began to change''. I didn't feel humiliated then, even though most people preferred him before he changed any of his appearence.

I seem to learn these sorts of things when watching South Park and the Simpsons, because they do mention celebrities and other things like that, and usually it's true and I can sense when they're just joking, but when they're not I can learn about the celebrity and be part of the popular culture.

But anyway, back to the topic, I just wish people wouldn't make such a fuss over it like they do. The next time somebody humiliates me over not knowing about something, I feel like saying to them, ''what do you think I'm going to get for knowing about that? A medal?''

And yes, I have heard of Beavis and Butthead, but I've never watched it. :)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 3:00 pm

I've dealt with a lot of that crap in high school. I remember telling one of my teachers that I couldn't wait to graduate from high school, so that I would be able to do my own thing. I hate kids who expect everybody to know about popular culture. I had two kids picking on me at Midnight on New Years Eve asking me if I watched the countdown to 2012. As they were about to ask me another question, I told them to stop picking on me.

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jan 2012, 3:03 pm

"And yes, I have heard of Beavis and Butthead, but I've never watched it."

As long as you're not humiliated, or even feel uncomfortable in any way, with not knowing the popular culture, I wouldn't bother. But if you do, I can't think of a better cure for that problem. You'll be laughing at them:)

Last edited by Dunnyveg on 15 Jan 2012, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 3:04 pm

I know as little about popular culture as it's possible to know. I have as little interest in it as it's possible to have. I'm proud of that in a way because it makes me independent of the herd.

roccoslife
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jan 2012, 3:28 pm

EVeryone learns things at a different pace, its incredibly stupid to make fun of someone for making such an asinine mistake like getting a celebrities name wrong.

I have had it myself though, I remember watching a football match in the pub once and calling the goalie (David James at the time) Rick James. People laughed, I got embarassed and my face went red (I have a very very quick blush response, have had all my life). It probably wasnt that big a deal and people only probably laughed because it seemed to embarass me so much :).

Just remember the people who laugh at you for not knowing what something is didnt know what it was either at one point in their lives.

camelCase
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jan 2012, 3:30 pm

This stuff really bothers me. I have to cut myself off from the world when I am learning anything new that acquaintances are familiar with to avoid the humiliation.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

15 Jan 2012, 3:31 pm

nemorosa wrote:
The details are unimportant. The mistake you make irrelevant.

This is all to do with the NT preoccupation with status and nothing else. By laughing at you they feel they have lowered your status and thereby (relatively) enhanced their own. It's all very sad don't you think?
This. What you describe in your post happened to me when I was younger too. Of course, now that I'm older, I know what all the sex and drug stuff is, as well as current events. But to this day, I don't know many of the major celebs, or what they're famous for. For all I know, they could be famous because of stupid and irrelevent things (like that "Octomom" Nadia-whatever when she had eight babies at once).

shubunkin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Jan 2012, 3:40 pm

Dear OP

Wanted to let you know, that you were absolutely right when you said Kate Moss was a singer -

she has sung with 5 different successful and famous bands
written 4 songs that have been recorded by Pete Doherty's band Babyshambles, which is well known in the UK and in Europe.

According to the UK papers, she has her own recording studio and has plans to bring out her own album....

Yes she is a model , but you were right too ...

:wink:

Last edited by shubunkin on 15 Jan 2012, 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 3:55 pm

People would constantly ask each other about sex-related things in junior high, and I had no clue what they were talking about. When they asked me, I would just answer "I don't know" to questions like "Are you a virgin?". I was extremely confused at the time.