Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

PantheraTigris
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jan 2013, 11:24 am

I am a huge fan of Arthur Conan Doyle's original work, and also of the televised series BBC Sherlock.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 2:59 pm

SoftKitty wrote:
Jory wrote:
The last episode of Elementary from a couple of nights ago, in which Holmes comes across a serial killer known as "M," was fantastic. Vinnie Jones is great in it, and it brilliantly sets up a future confrontation with... well, you know who. (I'll answer the obvious question right now: No, Vinnie isn't Moriarty. Not quite...) Catch it online if you missed it, because this show is starting to get every bit as good as the BBC version.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/elementary

I´m relieved that Vinnie Jones isn´t Moriarty because Moriarty is said to be a mastermind and Vinnie does not look anything like it :-) But I love him.

Well, I just saw the season finale. Just as in "The Final Problem," Moriarty is revealed and... well, perhaps I shouldn't spoil anything, but I'll say that they surprised me. Not nearly as memorable as Andrew Scott's version of the character on Sherlock, but from a writing standpoint, it was more than clever enough. I highly recommend watching it. It can be found online in the link quoted above.

Nymeria8
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 5:43 pm

Glad to see I'm not the only Elementary fan. I love the Doyle stories and wanted so much to like the Downey movies but I think he's a better Stark than Holmes. But when I heard about Elementary...Lucy Liu and Johnny Lee Miller...Kill Bill and Hackers...I was in from episode one and thrilled not to be disappointed. The last episode is sitting on my DVR waiting for me!

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 10:28 pm

Nymeria8 wrote:
but I think he's a better Stark than Holmes.

He is Stark... :twisted:

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 10:55 pm

To be fair, Tony Stark never had a Basil Rathbone or a Jeremy Brett who had so completely owned the role before Downey came along. Delete those two from the history books and I think Downey's Holmes would get a bit more respect than he does.

I'm also slightly incensed that Downey had now played Stark four times and Holmes only twice. Where's my Sherlock 3? Last I heard, Iron Man 3's screenwriter has been given the job, but that was quite a long time ago.

sencha
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 May 2013, 12:51 am

I'm quite fond of the original stories.

I agree with those who thought Jeremy Brett was the best to play this role. The UK series Sherlock was an interesting modern version.

Hated the first of the recent movies. Think they made a second, right? Never saw it. Too far from the original for my taste. Didn't like their version of the characters.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2013, 1:05 am

sencha wrote:
Hated the first of the recent movies. Think they made a second, right? Never saw it. Too far from the original for my taste. Didn't like their version of the characters.

I recommend giving Part 2 a try. Pretty much everyone agrees it's better than the first, and even people who hated the first one tend to like it. It's still a big action thriller, but there's quite a bit more focus on the intellectual this time around, in the mind games played by Holmes and Moriarty.

girly_aspie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 May 2013, 1:05 pm

RDJ plays the exact same character in every single movie. His Sherlock is pretty much Iron Man with an accent and a nicer jacket. Every single movie of his could be called "Charming Douchebag".

AQ: 44
IQ: 167
Aspie Quiz Result: 185/200
NT result: 22/200
BAP: 132 aloof, 108 rigid and 121 pragmatic

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2013, 3:21 am

girly_aspie wrote:
RDJ plays the exact same character in every single movie. His Sherlock is pretty much Iron Man with an accent and a nicer jacket. Every single movie of his could be called "Charming Douchebag".

Oh yeah XD

msrockymthigh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 May 2013, 9:03 pm

Like both Basil Rathbone and Jeremy Brett's Holmes. Ronald Howard's Holmes in the 1953 series was done well, though his Watson (H. Marion Crawford) was a bit of a bumbler. Edward Hardwicke's Watson (Jeremy Brett series) was one of the better Watson's because he wasn't an idiot as many Watson's are portrayed to be. Downey Jr. and Law make a good Holmes-Watson team. I haven't seen the BBC Sherlock or Elementary so I can't comment on those. Love the original novels and stories. I have a nice volume comntaining The Adventures of, The Memoirs of, The Return of, and the novels Hound of the Baskervilles, Study In Scarlett and Sign of the Four in their original Strand Magazine font and illustrations.

YoungAtHeart
Raven
Raven

29 May 2013, 3:33 pm

Elementary with Jonny Lee Miller is my favorite version of Sherlock. I've been wondering ever since I started watching the show if he has Asperger's. He certainly has some odd ways of doing things. Quirks I guess. Although I'm not sure because whenever he talks to someone he seems to have no trouble at all making eye contact with them. I don't know if ALL aspies have that issue or not (I do) but I've always thought it was one of the (what's the word???) "universal" or maybe "general" traits.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AnimatedSquirrel

Nymeria8
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2013, 5:38 pm

girly_aspie wrote:

thank you far making me laugh for the first time in a week!

SpeakerToAnimals
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 May 2013, 5:35 pm

YoungAtHeart wrote:
Elementary with Jonny Lee Miller is my favorite version of Sherlock. I've been wondering ever since I started watching the show if he has Asperger's. He certainly has some odd ways of doing things. Quirks I guess. Although I'm not sure because whenever he talks to someone he seems to have no trouble at all making eye contact with them. I don't know if ALL aspies have that issue or not (I do) but I've always thought it was one of the (what's the word???) "universal" or maybe "general" traits.

There's a scene where he describes Irene Adler as the only person he ever felt empathy with which is pure Aspie.

All that stuff with constantly recategorizing his padlocks, his special interests in bees, disregard for personal hygiene, ignorance of social rules, focus on details, etc. are all common Aspie traits. Most of us don't have every trait but Holmes ticks many of the boxes.

I was skeptical about Elementary at first but in the end I loved it. There's room in the world for three Sherlock Holmeses!

girly_aspie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 May 2013, 8:00 pm

Nymeria8 wrote:
girly_aspie wrote:

thank you far making me laugh for the first time in a week!

Elementary, my dear Nymeria8! :lol:

girly_aspie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 May 2013, 8:02 pm

Strange but true facts that are slightly related to this thread: my father's maternal side of the family are all "Holmes"s from England, it's also where I get my Aspie genes from. My best friend's last name is Watson.

Discuss. ;)

SpeakerToAnimals
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jun 2013, 7:46 am

My favourite Doctor Who writer of all time was Robert Holmes and at one time he was in the police.

I bet he got called 'Sherlock' sometimes.