Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Epsilon
Toucan
Toucan

13 Dec 2012, 9:25 pm

The BBC series is popular for good reason; the dynamics between Wattson and Holmes plus the ingenuity of the actual mysteries really got me into it.

HereBeDragons
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 2:34 pm

They say it's good . . . I'm still a purtian, and I'm not convinced.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 10:08 pm

Me too. But I'm beginning to accept different variations of the canon. However, I really like the movies.
I don't think I'll like the CBS version though. The BBC one is enough for me

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 10:57 am

jamieevren1210 wrote:
Me too. But I'm beginning to accept different variations of the canon. However, I really like the movies.

Elementary is actually pretty decent.

012sars210
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Dec 2012, 6:03 pm

The_Perfect_Storm wrote:
jamieevren1210 wrote:

Elementary is actually pretty decent.

Elementary is SO GOOD.

Let me just say that I am a huge Sherlock Holmes fan. Books, movies, shows-- anything. I know a lot of people are upset about Elementary saying it's a copy of BBC Sherlock, but it absolutely is NOT. It's a completely different show with a completely different take on the stories. If people have a problem with Elementary then they should have a problem with House, Psych, The Mentalist,....all these other shows that are based on/inspired by Sherlock Holmes.

Sorry, Sherlock Holmes is one of my obsessions. I am willing to give all things Sherlock a try and I think everyone needs to give Elementary a try! SO GOOD.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 8:53 pm

^

My only issue with Elementary is that each episode tends to be far less believable than episodes from Sherlock. Some of them require a lot of suspension of disbelief, which is a shame because this incarnation of Sherlock himself is one of my favorites. The actor is doing a remarkable job.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 9:22 pm

Okay, I'll give it a try if I can get my hands on a copy over here in Taiwan! :D
Maybe I just like steampunky stuff :wink:

palindrome
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Dec 2012, 12:59 am

People with Netflix owe it to themselves to check out the series starring Jeremy Brett as Holmes. I kinda love every version of Holmes I've seen at least a little, but the Brett adaptations find a perfect mix of faithfulness and lively execution. Brett is one of the better Holmeses too.

Or for a light, silly, family version, The Great Mouse Detective got added last week. 8)

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 2:33 am

palindrome wrote:
People with Netflix owe it to themselves to check out the series starring Jeremy Brett as Holmes. I kinda love every version of Holmes I've seen at least a little, but the Brett adaptations find a perfect mix of faithfulness and lively execution. Brett is one of the better Holmeses too.

Or for a light, silly, family version, The Great Mouse Detective got added last week. 8)

Yes. the one with jeremy Brett is one of the best indeed!

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2012, 1:51 pm

Elementary is surprisingly excellent. I wasn't expecting much because I didn't think that Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu would have much chemistry (despite the fact that I admired them both very much individually), but they're perfect together. The writers have also managed to come up with some brilliant plots. I'm not sure I like it quite as much as the BBC series, but it's close. It's a cut above the typical network TV crime drama mediocrity like CSI and Law & Order.

It's amazing that there are three Sherlock series going on at the same time -- the Robert Downey films, the Benedict Cumberbatch series, and the Jonny Lee Miller series -- and not only are all of them good, they all manage to be completely different from one another. It's a good time to be a fan.

As for Jeremy Brett, he's my favorite Holmes, but the series as a whole was decent at best. In other words, it wouldn't have been so remarkable with another lead actor. Also, Brett got quite poor in the later seasons with his failing health. Although I like Brett more than Downey, Cumberbatch, or Miller, I feel like the three current series are more well-rounded as a whole than the 1984-1994 Brett series.

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2012, 3:37 pm

My favorite is the modern BBC show with Cumberbatch. He and Freeman nail it IMO. Plus in one of the episodes they do mention Sherlock has AS. 8)

SoftKitty
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2012, 4:40 pm

Jory wrote:
As for Jeremy Brett, he's my favorite Holmes, but the series as a whole was decent at best. In other words, it wouldn't have been so remarkable with another lead actor. Also, Brett got quite poor in the later seasons with his failing health. Although I like Brett more than Downey, Cumberbatch, or Miller, I feel like the three current series are more well-rounded as a whole than the 1984-1994 Brett series.

Agreed on all points.

HereBeDragons
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2013, 4:58 pm

When it come to things like similar shows, I tend to pick out one, stay with it and ignore most of the rest. In this case, the BBC's Sherlock has my vote.

And the fact that Cumberbatch and Freeman are both in the Hobbit have nothing to do with it . . . but it does make it all the more awesome. :D

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 4:01 pm

The last episode of Elementary from a couple of nights ago, in which Holmes comes across a serial killer known as "M," was fantastic. Vinnie Jones is great in it, and it brilliantly sets up a future confrontation with... well, you know who. (I'll answer the obvious question right now: No, Vinnie isn't Moriarty. Not quite...) Catch it online if you missed it, because this show is starting to get every bit as good as the BBC version.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/elementary

SoftKitty
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 9:29 am

Jory wrote:
The last episode of Elementary from a couple of nights ago, in which Holmes comes across a serial killer known as "M," was fantastic. Vinnie Jones is great in it, and it brilliantly sets up a future confrontation with... well, you know who. (I'll answer the obvious question right now: No, Vinnie isn't Moriarty. Not quite...) Catch it online if you missed it, because this show is starting to get every bit as good as the BBC version.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/elementary

I´m relieved that Vinnie Jones isn´t Moriarty because Moriarty is said to be a mastermind and Vinnie does not look anything like it :-) But I love him.

PantheraTigris
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jan 2013, 11:24 am

I am a huge fan of Arthur Conan Doyle's original work, and also of the televised series BBC Sherlock.