Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 10:05 am

pandabear wrote:
91 wrote:
@kxmode

Sorry, but that post was utter bunk..

That's a rather strong reaction to an explanation of why the Jehovah's Witness translation is worded a particular way. They seem to have reasons that are at least defensible.

well we cant have the atheists condemning any heretic group anymore than the church itself can we?

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 5:46 pm

pandabear wrote:
91 wrote:
@kxmode

That's a rather strong reaction to an explanation of why the Jehovah's Witness translation is worded a particular way. They seem to have reasons that are at least defensible.

I am sorry if i came off as heavy handed. If they were defensible translators of biblical Greek, then they would publish their translation work in academic journals. They are however more than willing to cite academics out of context even after the academic directly accuses them of dishonesty (http://www.forananswer.org/Top_JW/Schol ... %20NWT.HTm) . Further, I perfer these sorts of discussions to occour in academic print, I have no issue is a JW wants to bring their academic work to a forum, but to take an idea, that they refuse to have properly peer-reviewed and drop it here like it counts for something, annoys me a bit. It smacks of answers in genesis.

Was not spoken of the soul.

Tadzio
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 6:53 pm

91 wrote:
pandabear wrote:
91 wrote:
@kxmode

I am sorry if i came off as heavy handed. If they were defensible translators of biblical Greek, then they would publish their translation work in academic journals. They are however more than willing to cite academics out of context even after the academic directly accuses them of dishonesty (http://www.forananswer.org/Top_JW/Schol ... %20NWT.HTm) . Further, I perfer these sorts of discussions to occour in academic print, I have no issue is a JW wants to bring their academic work to a forum, but to take an idea, that they refuse to have properly peer-reviewed and drop it here like it counts for something, annoys me a bit. It smacks of answers in genesis.

Hi 91,

There are academic journals, and there are pseudo-academic journals trying to pass off under the facade of being an academic journal.

But what I'm wondering about now, is, you are annoyed at what you regard as "droppings", after all the droppings from WLC that you dropped on me, as if those "select droppings" passing through you couldn't possibly stink in any of your self-regarded Creme de la Creme passages citing of such non-academic stenchfulness.

Tadzio

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 7:24 pm

Have the Jehovah's Witnesses published in academic journals?

Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 8:10 pm

pandabear wrote:

Not really. I am sure there may be some but the watchtower tends to be quite dismissive of biblical scholarship (though they love to quote mine it). At present they are not represented within the academic discourse. The Society of Biblical Literature (SBL), would be a good place for them to get involved. The SBL is highly tolerant of heterodox opinion, two thirds of its founding members were non-trinitarian and the Mormons are almost always in attendance. It is also quite old and in North America is central to the academic life of many institutions. The watchtower, despite being welcome there, is never in attendance. As such, it is difficult to engage them in any meaningful way, which is a shame, since they represent an interesting component of modern Christianity and I think many of their doctrines could use the refiniement that interaction with opposition opinion brings.

Was not spoken of the soul.

Tadzio
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 10:45 pm

91 wrote:
pandabear wrote:

Not really. I am sure there may be some but the watchtower tends to be quite dismissive of biblical scholarship (though they love to quote mine it). At present they are not represented within the academic discourse. The Society of Biblical Literature (SBL), would be a good place for them to get involved. The SBL is highly tolerant of heterodox opinion, two thirds of its founding members were non-trinitarian and the Mormons are almost always in attendance. It is also quite old and in North America is central to the academic life of many institutions. The watchtower, despite being welcome there, is never in attendance. As such, it is difficult to engage them in any meaningful way, which is a shame, since they represent an interesting component of modern Christianity and I think many of their doctrines could use the refiniement that interaction with opposition opinion brings.

Hi 91,

Oh, you mean they have more in common with Jesus and his apostles than your highly refined academic journal publishers do.

So you do hold that mere "opinion" does change "The Word". Well, so much for your previous self-proclaimed universal truths.

Then, I'm the one told I'm in the academic Ivory Towers for reading too many academic books and journals by the wrong scholars' publishers. What a shame they don't publish just Certified Canonical balderdash to your selective taste.

Tadzio

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 11:04 pm

The simple matter is, each generation - and civilization - sees God, and thus scripture, in their own light.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 1:46 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
The simple matter is, each generation - and civilization - sees God, and thus scripture, in their own light.

The Deists got it right and nearly everyone else got it wrong.

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 1:51 am

ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

ruveyn

So, do you fancy yourself a Deist?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 1:53 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

When did I say that? I said the Deists got it right and that is all I said.

Personally I am Jewish down to my toe nails. But that does not mean I buy all the nonsense at retail.

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 1:54 am

ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

When did I say that? I said the Deists got it right and that is all I said.

Personally I am Jewish down to my toe nails. But that does not mean I buy all the nonsense at retail.

ruveyn

Fair enough.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 2:08 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

Heaven Forefend! Have you ever attended a Unitarian Universalist service? It is like celebrating the drying of paint. I attended such services. I swooned from boredom and it took two EMTs to bring me around.

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 2:11 am

ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Heaven Forefend! Have you ever attended a Unitarian Universalist service? It is like celebrating the drying of paint. I attended such services. I swooned from boredom and it took two EMTs to bring me around.

ruveyn

My God! Sometimes I forget you actually do have a sense of humor!
Kidding! I'm kidding! :lol:

Tadzio
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 5:52 am

ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

ruveyn

For today, or whatever dimension, the Montanist prophets got it right, and nearly everyone else got it wrong, but the it isn't listed as a treatable contagion right or wrong.

The Ecstatic Sun still rises in the East without having to be justified by an academic journal before so doing so.

Tadzio