Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 3:33 pm

I noticed at school that a lot of teenage girls liked dressing up.

Why do people like dressing up? I don't like it, no, in fact, I hate it.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 3:34 pm

Status symbols.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 3:37 pm

Or if you feel like you've been a certain gender all your life, you'd look into dressing the other way.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 3:47 pm

The reason that I dress up is because I like vintage clothes. I don't really dress up though. I dress the way that The Kinks did in the 60s. If I really were to dress up, I'd be wearing dressy clothes that are currently in fashion and I don't really do that. Damn, I've gone cross eyed.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 3:48 pm

I just don't understand the "feel good factor" they claim to have.

Reynaert
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Jan 2012, 4:01 pm

Easy. They care a lot about what others think of them (don't ask me why, it's unexplainable). Therefore when they wear something which (they think) makes others think of them better, it will make them feel good.

Miharu
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jan 2012, 4:13 pm

I hated dressing up as a kid. I didn't see the point in it. At 12 i began having body image problems and a eating disorder. Ever since i started caring, dressing up girly and wearing make-up. My mom always makes remarks how i worry about my looks, that i try to look like a model going to school, while my old friends dress simple and cassual, no make up and laid back. I think i do it mostly to feel good in my own skin. If i don't do it, i don't feel comfortable at all. Another part of me actually likes dressing up and looking nice now. I've been doing it for so long, it became a habit and a part of me.

GreyGirl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 4:22 pm

I like dressing up sometimes. I think it's fun, like theater for myself. I used to play dress up with my friends and sisters when we were little, so this is nothing new to me. I also love to hang out in jeans and a t-shirt with no makeup and a ball cap.

I guess what I'm saying is that I dress up for me, not to impress others. Same with "dressing down". I dress how I feel. It's part of my personality.

"Freedom of Speech is Not a License to be Stupid"

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2012, 6:48 am

Ok I understand.

I get overloaded by most "dressing up" clothes, like tight clothes or certain materials.

keira
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2012, 7:36 am

I like to dress up occasionally and I do get the "feel good" factor. I grew up with three older girly girls so I was trained to get it. However, most of those clothes are very uncomfortable so most of the time I prefer jeans and tank tops if I can get away with it.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2012, 7:46 am

I always hated "dressing up" except for when I was younger I would get a sudden urge to draw weird designs on my face and put my mother's powder in my hair.

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 1:25 pm

That is really cool aimless.

I have a bad habit of getting something on dressier clothes. I always feel obligated to be careful when I am well dressed. And why would I want to do that?

LouHusky
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jan 2012, 1:58 pm

Because I can pretend to be my little green husky character, and forget I am me for a little while. But I do like who I am, it is nice to be weird and I would not want to be normal.

Louis

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 2:39 pm

@ sluice
Thanks, I was about 17 there. I have another where my eyes are rolled up in my head and I look like I'm having some sort of spiritual fit. I wish I could find it.
As far as regular dressing up, I think it may have been the start of my church aversion. Back in my childhood, you had to dress up for church.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

22 Jan 2012, 2:45 am

Good luck getting me into a dress. :roll: