Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Brink
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jan 2012, 4:15 pm

My stepson's biological mom recently admitted that when DS was a newborn until the age of 3 she kept him locked in his bedroom in a bouncer aimed at a tv playing Baby Einstein on repeat. This happened 9 hours a day while her husband was at work - during this time she did not feed, change, or interact with the child.

We all know that autism is not caused by neglect or so-called 'refrigerator moms', but I can't help wondering if this had some detrimental effect on DS. I read something in TIMEScience saying that for every hour of Baby Einstein watched daily, a toddler knew 6-8 fewer words than his peers. There have also been studies showing links between ADHD and television during early childhood - although there have been studies showing no links as well.

Obviously, it doesn't matter what caused DS's autism, and the important thing is that his mom no longer has any custody of him, but I've been thinking about the neglect (I would call it abuse) his bio mom subjected him to as I prepare to give birth to my own child. Television scares the crap out of me now.

Vince
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 4:21 pm

I don't know what Baby Einstein is, but that sounds to me like child abuse, which isn't good for children whether autistic or not.

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 4:27 pm

Kids are remarkably elastic beings. With appropriate intervention and support, they can bounce back from abuse, neglect, malnutrition, all kinds of stuff and go on to become contributing adults.

Parenting is really, really hard and there are some shortcuts that aren't the best - TV is one of them. I know that when I was struggling being home with my son, I had the TV on an awful lot of the time. My parents, OTOH, banned TV from our house until I was well into high school. My son and I are developing in nearly the same way, except that he has appropriate intervention for his AS, and AS wasn't an available diagnosis until I was well into my teens.

I think every new parent wonders whether this or that thing will be harmful to their baby or child, and all the piles of information and studies out there tend to confound things rather than making them simpler. Pick your battles, and don't sweat the small stuff: there's a giant difference between a clean, well-fed baby who gets parked in front of the TV while Mom snoozes to one who's strapped into a bouncy seat for 9 hour stretches of time. I guess my point is not to set yourself an impossible standard: the one you're using for comparison is pretty low.

Bombaloo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 4:32 pm

That is so sad and scary. I remember how awesome it was just to sit in the rocking chair or lie on the floor with my little guys and watch them. I can't imagine doing what you describe this mother did. I feel sad for her and the child.

I think the lack of interaction is probably far more detrimental than the TV and the Baby Einstein videos. Kids learn all kinds of things about speech, how to get what you want/need, basically how to be a human being through interaction with parents and other care givers. I've read, though I can't remember where to cite it now, that kids who don't receive enough human intereaction can suffer a lot of developmental deficits. I mean they have studied the simple importance of newborns in the NICU being held by humans and how much that improves their recovery. Part of the NICU nurses duty is to sit and hold the infants instead of just letting them lie there in their little incubators. Some hospitals recruit volunteers just for this duty. Her treatment of him may not have caused his autism but it could certainly be a contributing factor to developmental delays if he has them.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 5:30 pm

My oldet really enjoyed being in the playpen in front of the Bambi movie all day long. He would yell when I took him out of it or turned Bambi off. He's NT. He's also now a construction worker and living in a trailer with a meth head who has his baby and he's horrible towards anyone else in the family.

I don't think those two things are related.

He also used to love unusual foods as a child.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Wreck-Gar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 9:37 pm

The neglect is the issue here, not TV.

Neglect of a baby CAN lead to delayed development of the brain and cognitive delays.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 11:27 pm

It isn't normal for a child to be so mesmerized by a video for that long that he isn't crying and screaming and driving the mother mad until she gives him some attention, although it possible she basically taught him to accept it by continually allowing him to cry it out for hours and hours on end. It would take a lot more information to speculate on what damage was done by her parenting methods. Regardless, it sounds like we should all be grateful that he is away from her and with you instead.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2012, 9:18 am

If a mother is autistic, she may not know how to interact with a child properly. As crazy as this seems, maybe she thought she WAS doing the right thing for the child. What makes me think this is that she put him in a fun bouncer in a presumably safe room with a kid's show that she probably thought would "teach" the child. Maybe that's what "she" saw as normality. Maybe she doesn't know or doesn't want to admit that she is disordered. Now, the child may have inherited autistic tendencies from her as well as this experience bringing it out moreso. After all, that baby has her DNA. The problem with autistic people is that they see themselves as fine and without any problems especially if they keep away from others who are NT. When they shut themselves off, they don't have to hear that they are weird or different, etc.... Years ago some people on the spectrum were described as painfully shy. Actually "painfully shy" is disordered.
Like gadgets for instance, the NT world thinks that tv and videos cause ADD. A lot of people who invent gadgets have ADD and they invent the things that they love. If a kid "likes" getting absorbed by a gadget or a tv, he alread HAS what some people consider a disorder. Something is called a disorder when it disrupts what another person sees as order. If the majority of the world sees something as a disorder, then it is a disorder because of majority rule. A social, NT kid will move away from the gadget eventually to seek social companionship.
If the NT child doesn't get companionship, they'll cry, they'll demand, their behavior will get bad. They won't stay there with the gadget! They'll rebel because they need and want people. They need to socialize. Like DW a mom said, the NT kid can't tolerate it for long.
Now, if the child was theortically beaten down to shut up and take it, he can be brought back by special ed and therapy after a couple of years at most. If it takes longer or the child doesn't respond at all, then the child wasn't made autistic but actually "is" autistic. A lot of times, some people with addictions are found to be spectrum disordered. They do it because the social world is horribly uncomfortable for them. It feels COLD. So, they eat, drink, drug, whatever. It's really very hard to cut through all the neuro diversity in the world because sometimes it doesn't always stand out to where you can see it readily. An NT mom needs companionship and assumes her baby needs it too. It may be pleasurable to them both. An autistic mother has an idea of what pleases herself too and feels it will please her baby as well. The child's happiness depends on what was done right for them as an NT or autistic individual. Once, I held a one-year-old who was later diagnosed as profoundly autistic. I honestly felt that this child was uncomfortable in my arms(the child just drooped like a sack of flour) whereas an NT child was SO comfortable that she protested when being returned to her mom. There's big differences even in infancy. Spectrums are very diverse. There's a spectrum for NT behavior as well. Believe it or not, there is a disorder where some people are TOO social. There has to be a healthy balance - like the three bears - just right. When you hear "spectrum", it's genetic.

Last edited by RightGalaxy on 20 Jan 2012, 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2012, 9:39 am

Brink wrote:
My stepson's biological mom recently admitted that when DS was a newborn until the age of 3 she kept him locked in his bedroom in a bouncer aimed at a tv playing Baby Einstein on repeat. This happened 9 hours a day while her husband was at work - during this time she did not feed, change, or interact with the child.

We all know that autism is not caused by neglect or so-called 'refrigerator moms', but I can't help wondering if this had some detrimental effect on DS. I read something in TIMEScience saying that for every hour of Baby Einstein watched daily, a toddler knew 6-8 fewer words than his peers. There have also been studies showing links between ADHD and television during early childhood - although there have been studies showing no links as well.

Obviously, it doesn't matter what caused DS's autism, and the important thing is that his mom no longer has any custody of him, but I've been thinking about the neglect (I would call it abuse) his bio mom subjected him to as I prepare to give birth to my own child. Television scares the crap out of me now.

I know how you feel about TV. Leaving a child in a room with a TV is like letting a stranger inside your house to sit alone with your child!! God Forbid! Years ago, I worked in a factory who employed a mentally challenged individual who was responsible for small, odd jobs which he did well. To my surprise, he married and had two children. The wife/mother was also challenged and I witnessed what "I " consider abuse. But this challenged couple did not see it this way at all and were shocked by the general reaction to their disciplinary measures. They needed YEARS of "Life-Skills" training. But anyone could see that the children also were challenged. Again the question, was it heredity or environment or both?

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 12:49 am

It sounds like it's a possibility. In many cultures they have no choice but to leave the child alone for extended periods of time as infants, but the child still develops relatively normally.

It's possible that some children need more interaction than others to develop normally though. I believe many of the autistic individuals who ended up in institutions in the early and mid 20th century ended up being far more afflicted than they would had they been born today, where there are therapies that are aimed at engaging the individual.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 2:03 am

... removed because I was being randomly mean to another member who I do really like.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com