Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jan 2012, 5:51 pm

You know when your parents go "put the bunny through the loop!" to tie the shoelaces, or "here comes the chu-chu train!" to get you to laugh so they can shove mushy gunk into your mouth so you choke.

I never really got these... My parents always tried to teach me this way, long division, shoelaces, etc. and I just did not get it... Don't get me wrong, I loved the whole idea of the bunny ears, I just did not know how to tie the shoes... I taught myself later using my own methods though. not that it is all that useful to me now. I have not tied shoes since the invention of the Croc.

for some reason I learn very well when I teach myself. But it is hard for other people to teach me. Unless it has to do to ecology or biology, then I am hooked and very little can actually distract me... unless we are talking about chemistry, or fish, or something not as exciting like that.

2 pages of notes in biology class today! front and back woo!

back on topic. :|

I just find it funny that my parents and brothers would try to teach me something, and I just can't get it, Like the Never Eat Soggy Waffles things to know north south, etc. My teacher taught me west from east using WE. My brother taught me that 8 x 8 is 64, like the Nintendo 64. Pneumonic devices work a LOT better than analogies.

what learning style works well for you?

AQ: 36

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Jan 2012, 8:19 pm

I think you & me have problems with the analogy learning style due to our AS. Us Aspies tend to be very literal.

I was an auditory leaner with school but I got little important details confused, backwards or wrong due to my dyslexia; like names, dates & vocabulary terms. I never learned by studying & I read very slowly even thou I was a good reader. I learn best in the workplace by having someone explain to me what to do while they are showing me or explaining while I'm doing it

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 9:19 pm

"fold each lace in half and then tie them in a knot" (how I learned to tie my shoes at about 7 or 8 years old)

My mom was really good at cutting through the little-kid BS that other parents insisted needed to be used in order to reach kids... probably why I am so good with coping.

I am a visual learner first, then I learn from patterns so if I couldn't actually grasp the visual aspect of something "like the bunny" then it would never work. hopping around the tree? seriously? where the heck is this supposed bunny anyway!?!?!? thats not a hole its a flipping lace!! !! !! lol

aaah... the joys of not being a child any more and dealing with the way adults feel they should speak to children... so nice to be reminded of that.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Jan 2012, 9:27 pm

infinitenull wrote:
"fold each lace in half and then tie them in a knot" (how I learned to tie my shoes at about 7 or 8 years old)

My mom was really good at cutting through the little-kid BS that other parents insisted needed to be used in order to reach kids... probably why I am so good with coping.

I am a visual learner first, then I learn from patterns so if I couldn't actually grasp the visual aspect of something "like the bunny" then it would never work. hopping around the tree? seriously? where the heck is this supposed bunny anyway!?!?!? thats not a hole its a flipping lace!! !! !! lol

aaah... the joys of not being a child any more and dealing with the way adults feel they should speak to children... so nice to be reminded of that.

I'm a horrible visual learner partly thanks to being born with a very rare genetic low vision disorder but my brain has problems processing stuff I see fine visually too.

Adults talk like that with kids to appeal to their imaginations. Lots of stuff I've read about autistics says we lack imagination & autistic kids have problems with pretend play(I defiantly do & did) so maybe that's why we don't understand that stuff.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition