Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page:

nintendofan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:00 pm
Posts: 451

Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:16 am

......i just feel like im not welcome on here,
everyone thinks im speaking a diffrent laungege or somthing.
all the posts i see on here are related to asperger syndrome.... im not asperger syndrome i have stronger autism.
im just confused realy :(


_________________
moderate low functining autistic (i was diagnosed with autism, not aspeger syndrome).
my picture is my ear defenders that i wear all the time. pictured is silencio earmuff, l1 howard leight, i also own 12 howard leight (not pictured) .


Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:00 pm
Posts: 3100
Location: Massachusetts

Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:20 am

I think you should be welcome on here, and like reading the posts of people with classic autism. :)



jovialwilliams
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:00 pm
Posts: 49

Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:25 am

Why not write a thread obout the stronger end of the spectrum? I for one enjoyed reading your posts(and your Link pic).


_________________
The mind-what's possible in it is impossible to say


ThePortraitPainter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:00 pm
Posts: 36

Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:26 am

Stick around. There's strength in diversity. We need you.



b9
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:00 pm
Posts: 10117
Location: australia

Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:30 am

i used to feel unwelcome because i am lower functioning than the people who are popular, but i realized that most people do not know what to say to me because i do not say things in a way that encourages replies.
i do not feel unwelcome anymore because i see that there are some people who are barely legible and get almost no replies, but they are not unwelcome either.

i do not know what to say to you, but someone advised me in a PM once to ask questions of people rather than just state my case. in my case i do not feel it is any of my business to ask questions of people, and as well as that, i do not know what to ask.

i told the person who sent me the PM that i did not know what to ask, and she said "just say your piece and end with 'what about you?' ", but that feels unnatural to me.

the only people who i would think are generally unwelcome are people who troll. some posters may make you feel unwelcome, but they are not spokespeople for the rest of the site. i have been told to leave WP in some posts by members who disliked me, but they are sitting on their own in their room saying that. it is not like they are physically with all the members of WP who look on and nod in agreement.

i do agree however that the bulk of discussion is shared by people who know how to socialize and small talk better than i do.

i hope things get better for you.



camelCase
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:00 pm
Posts: 128

Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:46 am

Well I see we have at least one thing in common... I live between my headphones.



169Kitty
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:00 pm
Posts: 214
Location: Minnesota

Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:53 am

b9 wrote:
i used to feel unwelcome because i am lower functioning than the people who are popular, but i realized that most people do not know what to say to me because i do not say things in a way that encourages replies.
i do not feel unwelcome anymore because i see that there are some people who are barely legible and get almost no replies, but they are not unwelcome either.

i do not know what to say to you, but someone advised me in a PM once to ask questions of people rather than just state my case. in my case i do not feel it is any of my business to ask questions of people, and as well as that, i do not know what to ask.

i told the person who sent me the PM that i did not know what to ask, and she said "just say your piece and end with 'what about you?' ", but that feels unnatural to me.

the only people who i would think are generally unwelcome are people who troll. some posters may make you feel unwelcome, but they are not spokespeople for the rest of the site. i have been told to leave WP in some posts by members who disliked me, but they are sitting on their own in their room saying that. it is not like they are physically with all the members of WP who look on and nod in agreement.

i do agree however that the bulk of discussion is shared by people who know how to socialize and small talk better than i do.

i hope things get better for you.


I have a hard time participating on internet forums because I rarely get many replies. Threads I reply to seem to come to a halt after I post on them. I find I get similar results in real life. I try to ask questions but I just don't get why I seem to suck at conversational skills. This is one of the things I'm going to write om my list of symptoms so I can talk about it when I go for my testing on Feb. 15th. If I don't write it down I'll forget to mention it.


_________________
AQ: 42
EQ: 19 SQ: 58 Extreme Systemizing
Your Aspie score: 155 of 200
NT score: 51 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie


Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:00 pm
Posts: 2795

Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:54 am

b9 wrote:
people who are popular


That one thing I never thought I'd read on an AS forum :lol:



artrat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:00 pm
Posts: 1268
Location: The Butthole of the American Empire

Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:23 am

I feel unwelcome too . I don't have a special talent and can not think as logical as most people on this forum.
Nobody responds to my posts that can take me a half hour to write. When I post on this forum I get anxious and feel like crying.
This is like real life where some people are more popular than others.

I like your posts better than some of the popular aspies posts.


_________________
?During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act" ~George Orwell

"I belive in God, only I spell it Nature."
~ Frank Llyod Wright


AnnettaMarie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:00 pm
Posts: 1286
Location: Issaquah, WA

Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:07 am

I think it just takes some time for people to get to know one another, especially on a forum where there's no face-to-face interaction, and where there's such a large number of posters. Even if you don't get replies right away, try try again!

Think of it this way: People may not reply right away because they are taking the time to get to know you and might also be shy to start a conversation. The more you post, the more people can build up a knowledge of who you are and will be more apt to reply. Just because someone hasn't replied to a comment most certainly doesn't mean they didn't read it, agree with it, laugh with it, or that it didn't make their day!

I really believe that the majority of it is just shyness and unfamiliarity, which is something I think that a great number of us are afflicted with.

That said, what are your favorite Nintendo games? Mine is Yoshi's Story from N64!


_________________
I'm a crab in a lobster world.


goodwitchy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:00 pm
Posts: 785
Location: Interplanetary

Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:28 am

169Kitty wrote:
I have a hard time participating on internet forums because I rarely get many replies. Threads I reply to seem to come to a halt after I post on them. I find I get similar results in real life. I try to ask questions but I just don't get why I seem to suck at conversational skills. This is one of the things I'm going to write om my list of symptoms so I can talk about it when I go for my testing on Feb. 15th. If I don't write it down I'll forget to mention it.



You're not alone with this.
At times, I feel like I am king of the thread-killers... sometimes people relate, sometimes they just don't.


_________________
Aspie score: 161 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 38 of 200
Autistic/BAP -123 aloof, 124 rigid and 108 pragmatic
Autism Spectrum quotient: 41, Empathy Quotient: 19


creative_intensity
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:00 pm
Posts: 48
Location: Los Angeles

Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:38 am

Well if there's one thing I've never been accused of, it's being too popular ;)

But I can understand the frustration you guys have - I think almost all of us experience that same frustration in the real world. But just by sharing your frustrations here, you can find those of us who can relate and sympathize. I think your sharing in this post is a good first step!

And if it makes you feel any better, I am a major conversation killer too. A total ninja at it, in fact.



MusicIsLife2Me
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:00 pm
Posts: 380
Location: In a musical wonderland ♬ ♭ ♫ ♩

Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:54 am

Hello there NintendoFan!! I'm Jen. I sometimes feel that way too. I have a marked learning disability, but have many characteristics of aspergers or something else on the spectrum. And considering my birth I may have fragile - x syndrome, but I do not know that as I definite. Just going by the various labels I have had since birth lol. It's made life difficult, but I try real hard. So I can relate to you not feeling like you fit in. But I have encountered so many interesting and kind people here...not to mention very knowledgeable on various things!! !



hyperlexian
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:00 pm
Posts: 21997
Location: with bucephalus

Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:55 am

artrat wrote:
I feel unwelcome too . I don't have a special talent and can not think as logical as most people on this forum.
Nobody responds to my posts that can take me a half hour to write. When I post on this forum I get anxious and feel like crying.
This is like real life where some people are more popular than others.

I like your posts better than some of the popular aspies posts.

:cry: i like your posts, artrat. i try to respond when you say something that i relate to. i find your posts very interesting.

b9, i am happy to see you building connections with other members by telling them how you have similar feelings to them. i am sure they appreciate hearing from you.

nintendofan, you've created some posts and threads that have gotten good responses and people seem interested in what you are saying. i hope that you stay and that you keep posting.


_________________
on a break, so if you need assistance please contact another moderator from this list:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt237032.html


169Kitty
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:00 pm
Posts: 214
Location: Minnesota

Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:25 am

artrat wrote:
I feel unwelcome too . I don't have a special talent and can not think as logical as most people on this forum.
Nobody responds to my posts that can take me a half hour to write. When I post on this forum I get anxious and feel like crying.
This is like real life where some people are more popular than others.

I like your posts better than some of the popular aspies posts.


It also takes me a long time to write posts. It takes me a long time to write about anything. A 5 page paper for school takes me 2 weeks. I was shocked when I learned some people can write them in one day or less.


_________________
AQ: 42
EQ: 19 SQ: 58 Extreme Systemizing
Your Aspie score: 155 of 200
NT score: 51 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  


Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page:




You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to: