What NOT to think About-The Functionally False

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

DGuru
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jan 2012, 5:19 pm

I have come to realize that there are things that it is best not to think about.
Do we have free will or is it predetermined?
Who cares? Regardless you are here, and the answer has no consequences for anything real you will ever do. Since all that matters to anyone are the things that have to do with their lives, and since free will versus determinism has no consequences for anyone the question itself can be said to be functionally false.

And there are things never to think about, let in thoughts about them but do not think about them. Don't think to try to find out what emotions you are experiencing or you will confuse yourself about your emotions, and get yourself into a tangled up mess in your head and wondering why you are having trouble controlling your emotions. Especially do not think about whether or not you are happy or stressed. I used to do that. I even used to think about whether or not I was thirsty. Thinking about these sorts of things is a waste of mental energy and can lead to paranoia over your own emotions.

It is human nature to treat all information as having meaning without first learning about what is irrelevant and finding it to be so through life experiences, so the popularity of "New Age" functionally false terminology, things like "you are the Universe", "Love is all there is", "you can do anything with positive thinking". Just being a child a person wouldn't know the parent intended the phrase not to have any functional meaning. The more perseverent a child is in his thinking the more likely the child will try to seriously investigate these ideas in their heads, leading to a great deal of psychological confusion. In simpler terms autism results from our brains being overloaded with logic puzzles during childhood, partly a consequence of being more wired to look for deeper meaning in information, and partly because the things parents say to their kids these days, especially the things that are considered to sound "sweet" are so vague and abstract as to lead us to confusion as we grow up.

Another factor is that parents these days worry more and more about their children and their jobs and life in general compared to previous generations. Worry is contagious. When the parents speak about their worries all the time in front of their children the child has to deal with the information, and won't know yet to just shrug the vast majority of it aside. Also, stress and anxiety in the workplace have gone up, and parents take that home with them.

I notice everything in my life is getting better now that I have a coherent concept about "functional falseness".
I also realize most of the thing you don't have to think about anything at all, just do what you want.