How do they know aspergers is autism?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 1:46 am

I don't think I've ever read a straight answer as to why aspergers is considered a form of autism. Some of the behaviors resemble autism, and there's sensory issues in some cases, but is that the only reason it's considered a high functioning autistic disorder? Is it just our best guess for now?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

23 Jan 2012, 1:49 am

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
I don't think I've ever read a straight answer as to why aspergers is considered a form of autism. Some of the behaviors resemble autism, and there's sensory issues in some cases, but is that the only reason it's considered a high functioning autistic disorder? Is it just our best guess for now?

How about it's often difficult to distinguish between some autistic people described as HFA and people diagnosed with AS?

Here's a paper that talks about it:

http://www.sacramentoasis.com/docs/8-22-03/as_&_hfa.pdf

Also, a large number of people diagnosed with AS actually also meet the criteria for autism, and should be diagnosed with that instead, at least per the DSM-V work group that's working on autism.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 2:04 am

Actually, it's always been contentious, whether Aspergers and HFA are distinct syndromes in the first place.
Aspergers in the next DSM edition will cease to be a separate diagnosis altogether.
It's like asking why bipolar disorder is considered a mood disorder.
"Urm..because it...it is..."

to his Interest."

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 2:09 am

Separate from autism, Asperger's Syndrome is a fake made-up condition that no one has. Inseparable from autism, Asperger's Syndrome is just autism.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 2:33 am

The people I met with HFA, you can tell they have it, and I am absolutely nothing like them. The two guys I met in person with AS don't resemble HFA at all either. I really don't see them being one in the same, just having some of the behaviors you find in autism.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 4:45 am

How do they know Asperger's is Asperger's?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

23 Jan 2012, 4:56 am

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
The people I met with HFA, you can tell they have it, and I am absolutely nothing like them. The two guys I met in person with AS don't resemble HFA at all either. I really don't see them being one in the same, just having some of the behaviors you find in autism.

On the one hand, you have research that discusses in depth the distinction between HFA and AS, and much of that research finds nothing. Much of it finds relatively minor differences. The pdf I linked mentions small distinct populations within each group that are otherwise relatively indistinguishable.

On the other hand, you have someone saying, "Three people with AS don't look like these other people who are autistic."

What is the difference you see?

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 7:45 am

The answer is we DON'T know Asperger's is the same as HFA. Slowly, some researchers are speaking out against it, which makes me happy. It doesn't matter if the SYMPTOMS are the same. We need to understand how the two differ from a neurological standpoint. The fact that AS doesn't have a speech delay means that there is something very different going on during development. Even if treatment and diagnosis don't differ, as a neuroscientist, I feel that it is crucial to understand these differences in order to properly understand more about the brain and its functioning. The point is that the whole VIQ/PIQ debate and the speech delay have not been resolved, nor has the reason why those with AS tend to be clumsy and uncoordinated, something not usually seen in HFA. And if this hasn't been fully resolved neuroscientifically, it is a huge mistake wanting to remove AS from the diagnostic criteria. Throwing HFA and AS diagnoses in the same group for research is why I believe ASD research is filled with confounds and findings that are often inconclusive and contradictory of one another.

Nash: Is there a difference?

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 12:15 pm

OddDuckNash99 wrote:
The answer is we DON'T know Asperger's is the same as HFA. Slowly, some researchers are speaking out against it, which makes me happy. It doesn't matter if the SYMPTOMS are the same. We need to understand how the two differ from a neurological standpoint. The fact that AS doesn't have a speech delay means that there is something very different going on during development. Even if treatment and diagnosis don't differ, as a neuroscientist, I feel that it is crucial to understand these differences in order to properly understand more about the brain and its functioning. The point is that the whole VIQ/PIQ debate and the speech delay have not been resolved, nor has the reason why those with AS tend to be clumsy and uncoordinated, something not usually seen in HFA. And if this hasn't been fully resolved neuroscientifically, it is a huge mistake wanting to remove AS from the diagnostic criteria. Throwing HFA and AS diagnoses in the same group for research is why I believe ASD research is filled with confounds and findings that are often inconclusive and contradictory of one another.

You don't need a speech delay to be diagnosed with classic autism.

Also, from what I've seen and read, your statement about clumsy and uncoordinated not being usually seen in HFA isn't accurate.

I'm not sure what you refer to as the VIQ/PIQ debate though.

Personally, I've found that it doesn't matter how "severe" or "low functioning" the autism is, I can relate to the people who wrote about themselves. From what I've read from people who are non-verbal and stereotypical LFA, I can relate to how they feel and act, just at a different level than they do - weaker compulsions, weaker avoidance, and such.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 1:08 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Actually, it's always been contentious, whether Aspergers and HFA are distinct syndromes in the first place.
Aspergers in the next DSM edition will cease to be a separate diagnosis altogether.
It's like asking why bipolar disorder is considered a mood disorder.
"Urm..because it...it is..."

That analogy doesn't make sense. Mood Disorder is a general, broad term. Of course Bipoloar disorder can fit under there. Autism is more specific.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 1:38 pm

CaptainTrips222 wrote:

If you put me and someone with HFA next to each other, you can tell we're both autistic easily.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 2:02 pm

Tuttle wrote:
CaptainTrips222 wrote:

If you put me and someone with HFA next to each other, you can tell we're both autistic easily.

I don't know what to tell you. When I go to autistic get togethers, it's extremely obvious who has AS and who has HFA. The aspies, especially the women, are the only people you can talk to.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 2:52 pm

How do they know aspergers is autism?

*Let's see, it's January 2012. Something tells me IF everything goes according to plan, in the next few years, you will be able to tell the difference between HFA and Aspergers. Forgive me, I'm sorry. I mean, you're going to be able to tell the differences between Autism Spectrum Disorder and Aspergers. * LoL.

TheSunAlsoRises

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 2:58 pm

Perhaps some people being diagnosed, barely, with Asperger's are not autistic and should not have been diagnosed with Asperger's. Sometimes, people post about their suspicions that they were misdiagnosed in childhood.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 3:10 pm

Until the next DSM comes out, its another Autistic Spectrum Disorder.
As for myself, I think I may fit on the HFA more than Asperger's (though I've shown all the AS traits over the years). I did lose speech for a couple of years but regained it, speaking full sentences.

Sincerely,
Matthew

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 4:11 pm

People DXed as HFA who were often non verbal in childhood often grow up to be very similar to people with Asperger's.

You can't tell the difference in many cases.

HDTV...

Whatever.