Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2015, 5:18 pm

It's New York so yes. GRASP has 3 support groups in Manhattan alone. Adult, Over 50, and the newly formed women's group. Run by people on the Spectrum. Spectrum Services and Aspergers and High Functioning Autism Association co run a support group in Manhattan run by NT's who have years of experience with adults and live in 2015 not 1955 like most Autism Organization. Before I get to high and mighty Autism Speaks is also headquartered in New York and the majority of prisoners at the Judge Rotenberg torture center come from New York City.

The Asperger/Autism Network from New England seems really good.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Pileo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 12:57 am

I've been having trouble finding ones in my area (lower Willamette Valley, Oregon). I'd heard about one from my doctor, but it seemed more like a tiny unstructured support group and I couldn't find any information on it online anywhere. It seems like all the good "Autistic Amenities" are in and around major cities. I've been looking at the Autistic communities around cities like Seattle and San Francisco and I'm simply envious at what's offered.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 1:03 am

None that I've been able to find. :(

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

traven
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 1:33 am

If it existed I wouldn't ! And I'm not from here so I have a strange accent, not the same cultural background, etc.etc.
http://cogsci.stackexchange.com/questions/1802/why-is-asperger-syndrome-poorly-recognised-in-france

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 1:31 pm

traven wrote:
If it existed I wouldn't ! And I'm not from here so I have a strange accent, not the same cultural background, etc.etc.
http://cogsci.stackexchange.com/questions/1802/why-is-asperger-syndrome-poorly-recognised-in-france

If you have not seen it we have a very long thread about how Autism is viewed and treated in France
http://www.wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=187047

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

traven
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 6:27 am

Ofcourse, but that's of limited use. I'm not in charge of how things should be done.

genesis529
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Mar 2015, 7:03 pm

I live in central Georgia. Very few people here even believe autism is a real thing. So there're no support groups anywhere within 200 miles of me.

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Mar 2015, 7:28 pm

genesis529 wrote:
I live in central Georgia. Very few people here even believe autism is a real thing. So there're no support groups anywhere within 200 miles of me.

Have you investigated Atlanta?