Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 3:33 pm

Are there any asperger support groups in your area? If there are, how often? Who (organisation) are they run by? Is there a neurotypical leader or do you do everything yourself? Are you happy with the support group in your area? Here in Helsinki, Finland, we have four support groups every month, one every weekend. They are run by an all-aspie organisation and all the group leaders are aspies themselves. We're a pretty tight-knit community, I've known some of these guys for over 10 years. We almost always go to a local pub toghether after the meetings and sometimes have activities between meetings.I 'm extreamly happy that I'm part of this community, because through it, I've found friends for life.

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 3:41 pm

There are a few-the one I mainly go to has an NT facillitator who is quite adept at running the group but the group decides activities and the general operation of the group another adult group I belong to meets near the Jersey shore which is a moderate drive to get to but its helpful and there are a few others run by aspies for aspies and other mental disabilities are not excluded in a few of them

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 3:14 am

to my knowledge there are aspergers groups or even generic autism groups in southern vermont at all that i know of.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 4:48 am

The ones I go to are ran by people on the spectrum. I know there are others but one of them is for parents of kids on the spectrum and there is another one that is for people who are in relationships with people on the spectrum. One of my groups, we have had this happen a couple of times where an NT show up not even realizing it's for autistic people only. I think they got our group confused with the other

One of them is a social group. We hang out at the IHOP or at Applebees and we talk and visit. The group was originally founded by an NT who formed it for his AS son so he can meet other aspies. But his wife who suspected she may have AS herself got cancer so the man didn't want to be the header of it anymore so another person in our group took over. Sometimes the new header will have parties at his home and he also created a new autism group and it's the gaming group and it's all over, It's at places where there are card and board games. But I don't go to them because I am more into video games than that one card game I don't remember the name of.

But the social group isn't just for people on the spectrum, it's also for people with learning issues or ADHD and sensory processing disorder and other issues. it's for NDs let's say and NTs are welcome in it too so it's a mixed group. But all of us have AS. Only ones I have seen there without it were the parents who came with their kids or partner. But since the original founder left, it's been just us most of the time, no NTs. But I only go to the Applebees one, not to IHOP. The IHOP one always had a lot more people there. Applebees has less.

CeciliaAnn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Feb 2012, 3:37 pm

I occasionally go to the ones organized by the AANE.

"Misery's fun, I'm kissing everyone... I gotta hold my tongue." - The Breeders

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2012, 2:47 pm

When I was a little kid, we lived so far out in the boondocks, you could not have a pizza delivered to that area. The only thing in the way of services or "help" was in the city...which was over an hour and a half away and the insurance was always changing on us. Most of the "therapies" were really just attempts to make me normal. My parents tried to get me into this really inclusive social skills group but the insurance wouldn't cover that either and it would have cost them over $4,000 out of pocket. I think my parents knew it would be a waste of money because if I didn't want to do something or change something about myself, I wouldn't. I think they knew I would purposely act up in order to get kicked out. Basicaly all I needed was for people to back off and let me be myself. We've moved to another small town, but not as far out as we used to be. You can even walk to the pizza place if you want. As far as I am aware, there isn't anything special for people with Asperger's or autism.

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2012, 8:38 pm

I've heard that the Autism Society of Edmonton and Area is offering a group for adults with Asperger's.
Maybe I should investigate it....

Nexus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2012, 8:53 pm

None, and frankly I'm not a fan of hanging around with other Autistics in real life, essentially if it requires being supportive. Never works out.

caramel0
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2012, 9:05 pm

I assume there would have to be some in my area, but I'm too anxious to investigate them. anyone else feel like that?

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 11:41 am

Nexus wrote:
None, and frankly I'm not a fan of hanging around with other Autistics in real life, essentially if it requires being supportive. Never works out.

^THIS^

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 9:17 am

MagicMeerkat wrote:
Nexus wrote:

^THIS^

It can work out if the participants are committed and if there's group rules and structures.

Guineapigged
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Feb 2012, 6:37 am

I attend a local support group once a month.

ProfumoAffair
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Feb 2012, 12:09 pm

I have autistic friends. You just gotta keep at making sure people agree, no matter how tough it is at the start. Works out as long as there are no egos in the group

modelmaker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Feb 2012, 5:35 am

I'd like to find out about such groups within my area (Birmingham UK) , but I'm not sure how to go about this :scratch:

Dave.

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Feb 2015, 1:53 pm

Hello,

Contacting local/regional Autism agencies also experienced with Aspergers, and serving adults on the spectrum can be helpful!

Agencies may be receptive towards developing resources appropriate for Aspergers. Consider attending, and contributing to meetings hosted by these agencies to encourage development of much-needed services.

For example, I'm aware of agencies interested in collaborating with professional service people; who can act as third-party advocates/spokespeople e.g., a Wingman of sorts; to assist adults on such transactions involving apartment rentals, buying vehicles, just to name two agendas which may be difficult for people on the spectrum to grasp.

In short, Autism agencies experienced with Aspergers may be that "six degrees of separation" from specific resources offering advocacy, spokespeople. Again, attending meetings, and becoming acquainted with Autism agency people can shape, and boost much-needed Autism/Aspergers resources!

Thank-you

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2015, 1:58 pm

Because Utah is among the states with the highest AS/ASDs rate in the United States, we have an abundance of advocacy, clinical and support groups, including at least one national group. Unfortunately, our support groups are largely focused on parents of and/or children with AS/ASDs. We have just one support group for adults with AS/ASDs and it isn't attended very well.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)