Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 4:22 pm

I am. I've been invisible in real life for a long time but have only recently acknowledged the level of my invisibility in the virtual world. Conversations of the nature of the one below happen all the time when I'm around:

OP: What noise does a dog make
Me: Woof
Poster1: Meow?
OP: No, that's not what I'm thinking of.
Me: It's woof.
Poster2: Is it moo?
Me: No it's woof.
Poster3: Is it baa?
OP: No it's neither of those.
Me: IT*S WOOF. WOOF I SAY!
Poster4: Is it woof.
OP: Ah yes Poster4. That's right, of course. It's woof.

Arrrrrrrrrgh.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 4:25 pm

No, I'm opaque like all humans.

:trollface:

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 4:29 pm

Funny you should mention this, as I was thinking of posting about lack of "presence" today. Everywhere I go, short of bumping into me people act as if I did not exist and when with a group of people I may as well have no voice.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 4:32 pm

I have learned to take advantage of me not being noticeable.

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 4:33 pm

'Lack of presence' that's a good way of putting it. It's not because I'm shy, I'm not. It's not because I'm quiet, I'm not. I talk too much and quite loudly. It just that they don't see me. I don't get included in stuff. Not out of meanness or spite, but because I get forgotten. I don't understand.

One time I didn't get invited to my Dad's 70th birthday party because my family forgot about me. Invited everyone else on the planet and their dog.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 4:47 pm

I think I'm more forgetable, than invisible. People definitely notice me at first, but they quickly forget I'm there.

It's partly because I'm so quiet. I don't talk a lot and physically, when I move or walk around, I don't make any noise. I startle people a lot because they either forget I'm there, or they just don't hear me coming.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 4:48 pm

Yes,online and in real life. Sometimes I really resent it when I post a comment containing some pertinent information and it gets ignored and a bit later a more popular member will post the same damned thing and will be thanked for the input.

tchek
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Jan 2012, 4:54 pm

I'm completely invisible, I relate to what you're saying.

That's funny because to illustrate that I once made a "trollface" scenario (you know what i mean), where one girl is asking what time it is, I answer the question (say 4pm), the girl doesn't react and ask the question again, then some other guy (called jim) vaguely mumbles "what? oh, it's 4pm", and the girl goes "ooh thank you jim!".

Because this is basically the story of my life.

Another thing that happens to me is when someone asks me if I want something, I clearly answer "Yes", and the guy repeat "No?"
Me -"i said "Yes""
Guy "Yes or no?"
Me - "I SAID YES FFS!! !".

Well I'm a french speaker so this is "Oui" and "Non". The phonetical difference between "Oui" and "Non" is huge and I can't understand how anyone can understand "Non" when someone says "Oui". The mouth movements are not the same, the sound is polar opposite. This pisses me off to no end :?

Zhane
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jan 2012, 4:58 pm

After the year that I had I wish people would just forget me. :roll: #so embarrassed.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 4:58 pm

As for the implied question, people never seem to here what I say the first time I say it, but I am definitely not invisible, I make sure of that.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

CocoNuts
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jan 2012, 5:03 pm

MotherKnowsBest wrote:
It's not because I'm shy, I'm not. It's not because I'm quiet, I'm not. I talk too much and quite loudly. It just that they don't see me. I don't get included in stuff. Not out of meanness or spite, but because I get forgotten. I don't understand.

It's like I had written this.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 5:04 pm

Yep Yep Yep, I am invisible too. I guess that I am not broadcasting the standard nutterbutterflutters to be detected by the standard nutterbutterflutter receiver.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 5:36 pm

You have to bear in mind that people can only understand what they already know or slight variations from it. Unless you're directly keying into a person's model of the world they cannot see you. Also, autistics are likely to not acknowledge stuff even when finding it useful.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 6:00 pm

I can be invisible in groups, yes. It's made me socially phobic now; being afraid to speak up in a group in case I get interrupted or ignored and then feel insignificant.

But when I'm walking in the street I feel like the all mighty God - everybody looks at me and notices me, which makes me feel uncomfortable.

It's the other way around really - I want to be noticed in a group, and not noticed when walking through public.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 6:03 pm

fraac wrote:
You have to bear in mind that people can only understand what they already know or slight variations from it. Unless you're directly keying into a person's model of the world they cannot see you.

^This.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 6:50 pm

Sadly, it's the opposite for me.

When you don't live up to your presence in their mind's eye, the world eventually turns to abuse and/or abandonment.

(Hard to tell if the weeds are worst next door than yours or not.)