Are you unemployed; if so, how does it affect you?

Page 3 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 5:25 am

I can't stand being unemployed. I'm sick of living with my drunkard father while my savings account slowly vanishes. I've become complacent to my failure of an existence as a coping mechanism, otherwise I would've already had a nervous breakdown by now.

Adam82
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2012, 9:53 pm

Been unemployed for seven months. Used to work as a full time English as a second language teacher in a busy school.

It really sucks being poor and having no income (except dole money). And living in your parent's house when you're nearly 30, and feeling embarrassed to go out and talk to people and answering questions about 'what do you do?' etc. It makes it impossible to get a gf either, as I have little money. :(

Ember_Of
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Mar 2012, 9:47 pm

Adam82 wrote:
It really sucks being poor and having no income (except dole money). And living in your parent's house when you're nearly 30

You're not the only one in their 30s (or almost) in that situation. Take heart.

(And I don't have any dole money, at that, either.)

Being unemployed sucks almost as much (in this economy) as having a job that's killing you but that you 'can't' leave.

First I had the latter - things went insane and I was forced to leave my job (abuse, etc.) - now I have the former.

I honestly don't know which is worse. There are some jobs that truly will kill you, if you stay. At least with longer-term unemployment, your slow death is more iffy & possibly optional. (i.e., you have some choices) (Sorry so pessimistic. Yes, that is a symptom, I think.)

Oh, and: I'm depressed with fair frequency, and I'm afraid of losing my internet access and ability to talk to my gf...
...and, afraid of losing my gf (just due to the stress of the situation of being long-distance, and trying to hold on to hope of ever getting to be together).

dx'd: A.D.D.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 6:30 am

I find im OK being unemployed, as long as everyone else don't keep going on about it. I have never worked, been on unemployment benefit every summer as I am studing a degree, despite holding an impressive CV, I have never found a job in the 6 years of looking for one, interview awkwardness and all that.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

archraphael
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Mar 2012, 6:05 pm

KianaKitter wrote:
Hi...I don't work, nor will I ever. It's a long story. Here we go.

First of all. I got my AS diagnosis late in life, when I was 26. And I do feel some jealousy and resentment because kids all the way down to age 6 get their diagnosis and the help they need while there is still time to do something about it and teach them to survive in this world. I got mine too late after I had already screwed up my life and wasted every opportunity I had because I didn't have the skills to deal with them the right way. Nobody was there to teach me how to cope with life as an Aspie.

If it makes you feel any better, I was diagnosed as a child and *didn't* get help for it. I was just drugged up on prozac and told I was 'special' and given the feeling I was inferior to everyone because they told me I was autistic.

What I'm jealous of is the NT kids who seem like they're walking on air, got their s**t together, given the life skills to survive in this world instead of feeling like a helpless autistic who can't get a job because of autistic symptoms and learned helplessness.

What is really the problem with autistics
They weren't given the proper love as a child and instead cold shoulder and violence from their parents who should of just gotten a divorce cause dad is a cheater

yeah im depressed..

greyflower
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Mar 2012, 10:35 am

I hate being unemployed, not having a job or something meaningful to do, not having any money. I've always loved the independency that comes with a job, and I always felt like I was achieving something in live. I was so proud of myself when I finally finished university. however, every little/proper job I had since then was a nightmare, I was always the outsider who didn't belong, I was ridiculed and people would call me stupid, even though I was working harder than most people. my work was never appreciated. people were just annoyed by my presence, and eventually I couldn't take it anymore and had to leave. I haven't looked back. even though I'm in a really bad situation now (financially) I can't bring myself to apply for any new job. I know I'll be bullied again, I just know it. it's a fact. I don't know what do to do. I thought about doing another university degree, but what difference would it make? I feel so helpless, there's nothing I can do to change my situation, I can't change who I am. I hate feeling so useless....

ChekaMan
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Mar 2012, 9:38 pm

I'm unemployed. I had one genuine offer just after I left colledge but turned it down as I wanted a rest for a bit. All the other offers have either been crap, or were atempts to get me to money launder. My one attempt to advertise for a job just resulted in hundereds of spam e-mails in my inbox.

I'm fine,I have my imaginary worlds, cyberfriends, benifits (although I dread the government trying to take the latter away.) I feel no non-scammer would want me for a non-crap job.

Sickpuppies124
Raven
Raven

29 Mar 2012, 6:39 am

Like s**t.

johnners
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Apr 2012, 2:30 pm

mitch413 wrote:
I did what I was told by my parents, teachers, and society, but have been left empty handed. Unfortunately, once you leave school, the rules change 180°, and I was utterly unprepared for this.

Couldn't agree more! You play by the rules and lose.

I think coping with unemployment is all about your safety nets. When I lived in the UK, at least I could count on NHS healthcare and a modest amount of jobseekers' allowance to keep me going, and I was single, so only had to worry about myself. Now I'm married and live in the States, having to pay silly money every month for medical insurance and have about 3 months of unemployment left, and I feel totally responsible for the potential financial mess we're in. I want to work, I want to be productive, but nobody seems to care, it seems.

I like to work, but hate looking for work, typing out the same rubbish time after time, and knowing that 9 times out of 10 you won't even receive any acknowledgement. I know no-one, so networking is of no use, and I worry that I'll just give up, putting not just me but my wife into financial jeopardy.

For me, school was very regimented (boarding school), strict timetables for mealtimes, work times, bed times, etc, and you didn't really have to think. At the time the routine, rules and predictability were all you needed. When I left school, I was all at sea, and, 25 years on, I still am! Unfortunately (for me, anyway) employers want people who know what they're doing, can "hit the ground running", and jobs where you're told exactly what to do and left to get on with it are usually menial and low-paid.

Unless you stand at a busy intersection wearing a suit carrying a luminous yellow sign saying "HIRE ME!", what the f*** are you supposed to do?

</rant>

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 4:22 pm

northbrbrain wrote:
Do you feel less stressed because of it? Happier? Sadder? Curious what long-term effect unemployment has on a person's psyche. I know it varies among individuals. Personally, it has a mixed effect. I tended to get bullied on the job.....I NEVER made friends at work. So as far as social fulfillment, I'm missing nothing. I was also extremely stressed on the job and couldn't do it due to Asperger's, depression and other problems.

However, I'm wondering whether there are unseen effects of unemployment, more subtle effects that we may become more aware of over time.

I feel like I have no life because of being unemployed, since having a job forces you to be social, because you have co-workers and customers

BanjoGirl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 6:02 pm

I'm unemployed and I don't know how I will find a job in a country that has 25% of its citizens unemployed.

I feel stagnation, anxiety, desperation and I'm exhausted of trying. I have delivered like... 50 CVs the last two months. It's not that they don't want me, it's that there are NO jobs.

And about my savings... well, they were a lovely thing I kept a lot of years of my work life, I will miss them.

Adam82
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 7:47 am

I'm currently unemployed, and haven't worked in three months. Before that, I held a job briefly, but got fired.

I had another job last year which lasted for seven months. I do a bit of seasonal work too.

I've probably spent more time unemployed than I have employed. I would work if given a chance ,I have a masters degree in teaching. Teaching work is very thin on the ground here at the moment, though, that's the problem.

I didn't get my first full time teaching job til 28. Before then, I had a couple of crappy, shift jobs.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 4:50 pm

I just want to have a life again, thats why i desperately want a job and i'm not picky about what type of job i want, even if it is minimum-wage i will gladly take it

ADoyle90815
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Sep 2012, 11:28 pm

I'm once again unemployed after being officially laid off over a month ago, and that was after a couple of months of being told I'm not scheduled, then the manager finally said that I was laid off. The recession was why I was laid off, as business was slow, and I still haven't found a job at this time.

Larsen80
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Sep 2012, 7:15 pm

Through the past 2½ years I have been partly unemployed partly absent from the labour markert due to various, chronical health issues. All the way I have received benefits sufficient to pay food, medicine and bills, but not to live a rewarding, social life. I am now classified as having a permanently impaired ability and have landed a job under som "assisted employment" programme in a field similiar to what I used to work with. Being this dependent of the system, I still feel uncertain and weak, but clearly feeling revitalised and more optimistic compared to the all-time-low I had some months ago. I feel fortunate that my case has been handled by people who seem to give a s**t about their clients in need.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 Sep 2012, 9:12 pm

I was unemployed for a couple years before I had my 1st job. I had a mental breakdown during that time & I think not working or things related to it contributed to it. My parents were on my back alot about how I was spending time in my room on computer & that I had nothing going on in my life & that I didn't want to work because I was lazy. I had been putting in apps at most every place I could think of & not even getting so much as an interview. I also had to ask my parents for money or to buy me things I wanted because I had no income & they gripped about what I wanted to spend their money on & they also said how I should of got a job so I could of been paying for my own things. I had no social life & was lonely. I spent alot of my time online because I had nothing else going on or to do & I got close to a girl online. She was my 1st person I felt a connection with. I had a lot of mental issues & things didn't work out between us as a result & I fell into a psychotic depression. I got my 1st job after that. I'm not going get into my work history on this thread but I've been unemployed for a few years now. I'm on Social Security Disability because of physical disabilities. Anyways I did grow in lots of ways from the experience of working but I made a lot of progress after I quit working too; I joined this site, learned a lot about AS, got a girlfriend, got out of the ending stages of my depression & other things. In some ways I miss working because it got me out of the house, gave me something to do, made me feel productive, my parents didn't say I was lazy or were on my back about how I wasn't contributing to the household. I'm planning on moving in with my girlfriend soon so I'm not searching for a job now but after I move & we get settled in with things; I'll start trying to find one or talk to voc rehab or other things that might could help. I know working can help me out a lot but I think it's important for me to have the rite job for me. I have physical disabilities that limit what I can do, I like things that are fairly routine but I can handle routine changes after I learn, I don't handle conflicting/mixed orders wel. & I work better when I'm left alone to do my job instead of being pulled off a lot thou I can handle that some. Not having the rite job can stress me out a lot &which can cause me to to have emotional problems or it can keep building up till I have a meltdown at work & quit

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition