Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Bart21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2006, 9:11 am

I am good at learning languages.
I managed to understand the difference in gramatics between Dutch and English at around 11.
So by that time i only had to learn some more words to speak and understand English perfectly.
This is a pretty rare thing.
I also always got the best test results in English in my class even though i rarely ever studied.

Pronounciation in foreign languages is also something i can learn particularly well.

This skill in foreign languages only applies to germanic languages though.
I sucked at French.
Like English i never really did my homework with French.
But with French being so different from Dutch there was no way i could just understand the language.
Also i couldn't learn French from the television either.

Apart from that i'm pretty much an all round person with above average intelegence.
However i dropped out of school due to sleeping issues and no will to do my homework.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2006, 9:45 am

FYI: Dr. Treffert, the leading expert in the US on "savantism", considers any developmental disorder, including Aspergers, to fit the bill of the "deficit" requirements for Savant Syndrome. So simply by having the label "Aspergers" (whether you consider yourself "severe" or not), Savantism can be diagnosed provided the remainder of the profile is fulfilled (i.e., prodigious or talented in memory and at least one savant talent which most likely arose between ages 3-9).

As for me... I don't know if I would technically be considered a "savant". My memory is excellent; however, my artistic capabilities did not fully bloom until early adolescence.

Anyways.

Prodigous talents:
-art (drawing, painting, printmaking)
-facial recognition

Talents:
-visual memory
-poetry writing
-analysis of information

Splinter Skills:
-organizing abilities
-algrebraic equations
-music

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Bart21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2006, 11:23 am

Sophist wrote:
FYI: Dr. Treffert, the leading expert in the US on "savantism", considers any developmental disorder, including Aspergers, to fit the bill of the "deficit" requirements for Savant Syndrome. So simply by having the label "Aspergers" (whether you consider yourself "severe" or not), Savantism can be diagnosed provided the remainder of the profile is fulfilled (i.e., prodigious or talented in memory and at least one savant talent which most likely arose between ages 3-9).

As for me... I don't know if I would technically be considered a "savant". My memory is excellent; however, my artistic capabilities did not fully bloom until early adolescence.

Anyways.

Prodigous talents:
-facial recognition

Talents:
-visual memory
-poetry writing
-analysis of information

Splinter Skills:
-organizing abilities
-algrebraic equations
-music

I wouldn't fit those since my memory is pretty bad.
I always wondered does AS usually give an above or below average memory.
I've heard storys about it both being really good or really bad.
For me if compared to other family members it's not nearly as good.
Bad luck i guess.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2006, 11:32 am

Bart21 wrote:
Sophist wrote:

Anyways.

Prodigous talents:
-facial recognition

Talents:
-visual memory
-poetry writing
-analysis of information

Splinter Skills:
-organizing abilities
-algrebraic equations
-music

I wouldn't fit those since my memory is pretty bad.
I always wondered does AS usually give an above or below average memory.
I've heard storys about it both being really good or really bad.
For me if compared to other family members it's not nearly as good.
Bad luck i guess.

From anedotes, I've heard it go either way. Actually, I've heard more people say either "I've got an excellent memory" or "I've got a horrible memory". I can't recall anyone saying "I've got an average memory". (But maybe "average" just wasn't noteworthy.)

I think it probably hits the full range from Crappy to Photographic. Although I have heard more people say "My longterm memory is good but my shortterm sucks."

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2006, 11:36 am

> I'm good with computers and my speciality is basic animation (Microsoft Powerpoint. I really would like to master Flash though.)

> I'm creative with stories, and poetry.

> I have a rich imagination (when I wanna use it, I'll use it)

> Although ''Socially blind'' I can determine someone's body language.

> I'm learning to play the drums and am catching on very well.

I think these count as skills. :roll:

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

22 Oct 2006, 12:06 pm

SolaCatella wrote:
hyperion wrote:
Dart wrote:
Quote:
the abilitiy to read people(i spot liars and scum from a mile away w/o them saying or doing anything) and know what they are thinking

I thought that was an ability that Aspies lacked?

i can pick up on electromagnetic fields including human ones. if the person has evil in thier heart i will feel it and it wil make me feel ill. i could look at the person an within a second a numerical value for them will pop into my head

Excuse me, but I'm skeptical. "Evil in their heart?" How do you define evil? What the heck does 'electromagnetic fields' mean? Are you a throwback to that 'animal magnetism' drivel? No 'fense, but you come off as more than tad flakey. As for the 'numerical value' thing, what is that supposed to mean?

Me too sounds like something a parnoid schizophrenic would think. Anyway you can
implant a small powerfull rare earth magnet in an area of you body with alot of nerves
and detect electromagnetic fields, but you not going to detect any from a person.
Hell I would love to see a machine that could do that,that does not physical connect a wire to a body.

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2006, 12:30 pm

I have a fabulous memory for utterly useless information! :lol:

HiImBitch
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Oct 2006, 2:38 pm

DirtDawg wrote:
bizarre wrote:
I have an uncanny ability to annoy complete strangers.
Hey, me too. I sure wish I could figure out how to market this talent.

i seem to annoy people too and i wish i knew how NOT to.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2006, 2:44 pm

What are savant skills?

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

tweeks
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Oct 2006, 3:53 pm

when I was younger I could read at rediculous speeds, and have profound comprehension

I can intuitively "feel" answers for physics problems/concepts regardless of what they concern

I am able to start from anywhere within most academic material and be able to understand it in a short period

I relate things that are seemingly unrelateable, this is the source of most of my humor

I can troubleshoot anything in really short periods of time

I can skateboard drunk better than when Im sober

Im good at impressions and imitating sounds ( can beatbox really well....)

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2006, 8:20 pm

Hyperlexia, I can say large, technical words very easily and I have a HUGE vocabulary.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2006, 9:27 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
What are savant skills?

Tim

Here's a good website for background info. :)

Savant Syndrome: Islands of Genius

Dewclaw
Raven
Raven

30 Oct 2006, 5:57 pm

Occasionally I can recall things in a photographic like way, similar to when I first experienced it.

When I'm diagnosing a motorcycle, I can visualize the motorcycle operating under normal conditions and can quickly understand what the problem likely is. I don't go through a troubleshooting chart in my head, I actually see the fuel going from the tank to the transfer ports, mixing with the air, going into the cylinder, igniting, and so on. When I insert a problem into the equation, like water in the tank, I see the problem occuring throughout the process. Then I see if the problem that occurs in my visualization matches the problem as I've witnessed it.

I'm also quite good at training dogs, but that has taken a lot of work. Not something I would consider intuitive. I'm good at horses, too, in relation to my experience with them.

Enigmatic
Toucan
Toucan

30 Oct 2006, 7:20 pm

Building action-at-a-distance machines.

Breakbot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Oct 2006, 11:18 am

I've always been really good at art, and quite good at remembering information I'm interested in...

emh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Oct 2006, 12:18 pm

I have perfect pitch