Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

hyperion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2006, 4:24 pm

What savant skills do you have?

21 Oct 2006, 4:30 pm

I have none unless you want to count what i do with years in my head. Like if someone told me how old they are, i can figure out quick what year they were born in. i know other people do it differently by adding or subtracting. With me its niether. i just see it.

do you have any yourself?

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2006, 4:50 pm

I can remeber 10 figure numbers to bank accounts and other stuff, odd historical data, grammatical rules etc.

'Tis munny in my purse.

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

21 Oct 2006, 4:52 pm

Define 'savant.' If you mean it in correlation with autism--i.e., the phrase "autistic savant"--I must say I don't have any, since an autistic savant by definition also has a "severe developmental or mental handicap" (at least according to Wikipedia) and my AS is not that severe.

I do have several skills I am proud of--my knack for language, my ability to read very quickly, my ability to almost instinctively 'read' dogs--but I also have an interest in these things and practice them nearly-constantly in my head. I suspect that my talents are nothing that any other obsessive person couldn't acquire; after all, practice makes perfect.

Deccajay
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2006, 5:08 pm

i dont think I have any :cry:

bizarre
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2006, 5:10 pm

I have an uncanny ability to annoy complete strangers.

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2006, 5:28 pm

My savant ability is making random girls smile.

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2006, 5:30 pm

I guess I'm good at spelling, but that isn't too much of a savant skill. I just didn't want to lower my self-esteem even farther by admitting that I don't really have any.

I have a pretty good memory too, and I'm not bad at learning languages either.

Jerm
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Oct 2006, 5:31 pm

Use less trivia!
Pronounce almost any word from a correct spelling
Ability to memorize every location & size fastener on a motorcycle
Others I care not to mention right now

hyperion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2006, 5:31 pm

any special ability most nts dont have

i have/had alot
hyperlexia
photographic memory
writing skill
hieghtened sense of sight hearing smell
spidersense
the ability to pick winning lottery tickets and stocks(i can go into this trance like state and have my finger point to a winning stratch-off 3out 5 times)
mimicry of other people/things
language skill
the abilitiy to read people(i spot liars and scum from a mile away w/o them saying or doing anything) and know what they are thinking
the ability to allways see the right answer(somehow i could always see extra colors especially on tests and the right answer would spring out at me)
the ability to sense electromagetic fields
and general spiritual sensitity
natural debater
others im not sure are as related

the ability to use my mind speed up my body
natural metacognititon
strength and speed grossly not proportianal to the amount of time i have exercised(was able to dead lift 350 lbs with no exercise) rabidly bolt out
the ability to disapear when i dont want to be found
and find all sorts of hidyholes
immunity to pain
and a mutant healing ability(not joking i can heal from minor cuts in under 2 minutes major ones in under a day and get over a bad flu in 6 hours, and i acutally went 3 months with no sleep and am still alive)

Dart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Oct 2006, 5:54 pm

Quote:
the abilitiy to read people(i spot liars and scum from a mile away w/o them saying or doing anything) and know what they are thinking

I thought that was an ability that Aspies lacked?

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2006, 5:56 pm

ability to tear someone apart through insults - not really a savant

hyperion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2006, 6:13 pm

Dart wrote:
Quote:

i can pick up on electromagnetic fields including human ones. if the person has evil in thier heart i will feel it and it wil make me feel ill. i could look at the person an within a second a numerical value for them will pop into my head

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2006, 6:23 pm

I can be an enormous jerk.

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2006, 6:46 pm

Dart wrote:

Not necessarily. I really think that the main thing about aspies is that each of them has an unequal distribution of skills with a really high strength in a particular area because of it. Some aspies actually are good at reading people and sucky at logic, and vice versa. The latter is more commonly diagnosed, of course, but the former exist as well.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2006, 7:22 pm

I can improvise harmony to a song on the spot--even if it's a song I haven't heard before. There are certain patterns to music; and if a song isn't made of completely random notes, it's predictable enough for me to improvise a harmony line. It's not perfect the first time round; but once I've heard the song and know where the melody's going, it's simple.

I first learned to improvise harmony at age eight or nine, while visiting a church and listening to a woman read the alto line out of a hymnbook. Before that, I had not listened to any music other than my mother singing along to her guitar, or taped children's songs, and had not noticed that vocal harmony existed. In fact, I didn't know the woman was reading the alto line, didn't know what an alto line was--I thought she was improvising, and wanted to learn to do so myself--so I did!

This is not a true "savant skill" because my IQ is normal; but it is a skill most people don't have. I'm told that by the end of their studies, music majors are often capable of improvising a harmony after listening to a song once or twice; but not a lot of them had that skill by age 9!

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com