Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2006, 7:22 pm

I can improvise harmony to a song on the spot--even if it's a song I haven't heard before. There are certain patterns to music; and if a song isn't made of completely random notes, it's predictable enough for me to improvise a harmony line. It's not perfect the first time round; but once I've heard the song and know where the melody's going, it's simple.

I first learned to improvise harmony at age eight or nine, while visiting a church and listening to a woman read the alto line out of a hymnbook. Before that, I had not listened to any music other than my mother singing along to her guitar, or taped children's songs, and had not noticed that vocal harmony existed. In fact, I didn't know the woman was reading the alto line, didn't know what an alto line was--I thought she was improvising, and wanted to learn to do so myself--so I did!

This is not a true "savant skill" because my IQ is normal; but it is a skill most people don't have. I'm told that by the end of their studies, music majors are often capable of improvising a harmony after listening to a song once or twice; but not a lot of them had that skill by age 9!

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2006, 7:31 pm

Yupa wrote:
Dart wrote:
I thought that was an ability that Aspies lacked?

Not necessarily. I really think that the main thing about aspies is that each of them has an unequal distribution of skills with a really high strength in a particular area because of it. Some aspies actually are good at reading people and sucky at logic, and vice versa. The latter is more commonly diagnosed, of course, but the former exist as well.

Is that a fact? I thought it was all based on social skills (and obsessions, but mainly social trouble).

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2006, 8:12 pm

superfantastic wrote:
Is that a fact? I thought it was all based on social skills (and obsessions, but mainly social trouble).

Well, people and/or interpersonal relationships can be an aspie interest or obsession, if you think about it that way.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2006, 8:12 pm

People on the spectrum are diagnosed by three criteria:
1. Communication difficulty
--Not using language, or using it in non-communicative ways
--May not be present in Aspies
2. Social difficulty
--Not understanding tone-of-voice, nonverbal language, etc.
--Difficulty with gestures, eye contact, volume control
3. Limited, repetitive behaviors
--Stimming
--Special interests

However, there are a lot of other things that are closely associated with, but not diagnostic of, PDDs. The uneven IQ distribution between types of intelligence is one of them; so are savant skills, sensory integration problems, asexuality, mental retardation, seizures, and various sorts of genius or special aptitude (which would be savant skills in a person with low IQ).

Autism Memorial:

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2006, 8:16 pm

Callista wrote:
2. Social difficulty
--Not understanding tone-of-voice, nonverbal language, etc.
--Difficulty with gestures, eye contact, volume control

A person can have a high level of interpersonal and extrapersonal intelligence, be very outgoing and personable, and still have their own sorts of social difficulties. I knew a person who did very well in the interpersonal relationships department yet had a lot of problem with volume control as well as with keeping her mouth shut at times that it would have been wiser not to speak.

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2006, 8:27 pm

bizarre wrote:
I have an uncanny ability to annoy complete strangers.
Hey, me too. I sure wish I could figure out how to market this talent.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2006, 8:46 pm

Be a politician.

Autism Memorial:

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

21 Oct 2006, 9:34 pm

hyperion wrote:
Dart wrote:
Quote:
the abilitiy to read people(i spot liars and scum from a mile away w/o them saying or doing anything) and know what they are thinking

i can pick up on electromagnetic fields including human ones. if the person has evil in thier heart i will feel it and it wil make me feel ill. i could look at the person an within a second a numerical value for them will pop into my head

Excuse me, but I'm skeptical. "Evil in their heart?" How do you define evil? What the heck does 'electromagnetic fields' mean? Are you a throwback to that 'animal magnetism' drivel? No 'fense, but you come off as more than tad flakey. As for the 'numerical value' thing, what is that supposed to mean?

hyperion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2006, 10:00 pm

SolaCatella wrote:
hyperion wrote:
Dart wrote:
Quote:
the abilitiy to read people(i spot liars and scum from a mile away w/o them saying or doing anything) and know what they are thinking

i can pick up on electromagnetic fields including human ones. if the person has evil in thier heart i will feel it and it wil make me feel ill. i could look at the person an within a second a numerical value for them will pop into my head

Excuse me, but I'm skeptical. "Evil in their heart?" How do you define evil? What the heck does 'electromagnetic fields' mean? Are you a throwback to that 'animal magnetism' drivel? No 'fense, but you come off as more than tad flakey. As for the 'numerical value' thing, what is that supposed to mean?

evil defies explanation. you should know what an electromagetic field is. if a computer or radio is on i will feel it in the room even if its making no noise. yes i know for for a fact sensitivity to electromagnetic is an as/au trait. That was more of an aquired ability and subconsius at that. on a scale of 0-100, 0 being jeffery dahmer, 100 being st teresae, of reliability the number for that person wich just spring out at me
and flakyness is also an aspie trait-lol

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2006, 4:32 am

I don't think it's magical, but I can feel evil like a dog can hear a dog whistle and I can make people feel uncomfortable without saying a word or doing anything but concentrate on how I dislike them. Sometimes I don't even have to do that consciously.

'Tis munny in my purse.

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2006, 6:10 am

Ability to hate dogma

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2006, 6:19 am

Slightly lacking in the savant skills department unless you count random trivia!

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2006, 6:23 am

I have perfect pitch.

I can make radios go insane with static by focusing on them.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

cman_yall
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Oct 2006, 6:28 am

I got nothin', except maybe, if it counts, I used to be a quick learner at school and got bumped up a few classes. Sadly it stopped working at University level, where I found that my earlier easy success had denied me the training in working hard on stuff, and thus I got B's and C's where I used to get A's. Still passed, so can't complain... everything I have came with little or no effort, the stuff I put effort into gets nowhere... if I sound bitter, that's cause I am.

Hazard
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Oct 2006, 7:23 am

I have very good spelling, hence why I've been called a 'walking dictionary.' It's hardly savant standard though; I still make mistakes.

Bart21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2006, 9:11 am

I am good at learning languages.
I managed to understand the difference in gramatics between Dutch and English at around 11.
So by that time i only had to learn some more words to speak and understand English perfectly.
This is a pretty rare thing.
I also always got the best test results in English in my class even though i rarely ever studied.

Pronounciation in foreign languages is also something i can learn particularly well.

This skill in foreign languages only applies to germanic languages though.
I sucked at French.
Like English i never really did my homework with French.
But with French being so different from Dutch there was no way i could just understand the language.
Also i couldn't learn French from the television either.

Apart from that i'm pretty much an all round person with above average intelegence.
However i dropped out of school due to sleeping issues and no will to do my homework.